Specialized 1999 Allez Comp Older Road Bike

4.47/5 (34 Reviews)

1999 Specialized Allez Comp, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Kinesis fork

Submitted by Bumblebee Man a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth. Great, enjoyable ride. Good handling.

Weaknesses:    I tiny bit heavy and flexy for alu.
I thought it could've lasted more than 2 years before breaking. It's the only alu frame I've busted.

Bottom Line:
Ha! :-) My 1999 Allez Comp also broke (it cracked under the bottom bracket), but mine was 2nd hand, so there was no warranty. I was about 200 pounds at the time I was mashing this bike, so it got a good thrashing for about 2 years before it busted.

This was my first alu frame, and I thought it was fantastic. It was a super-smooth ride, but maybe a little flexy for alu in a full-on sprint. I've since had quite a few alu frames that didn't ride as smoothly as this one. Man, I loved it. The only thing was that it was a little heavy for alu -- frame alone: 1727g.

I only bought the frame, and it had all sorts of Shimano stuff and cheap Mavic wheels on it.

Favorite Ride:   the beach

Purchased At:   melbourneland

Similar Products Used:   Ciocc Pryde, alu Giant, Dedaccia 7003 custom frames, alu Cervelo Soloist, Scapin S2, Cinelli Proxima, BMC Streetfire.

Bike Setup:   Open Pro wheels, and 9sp Ultegra/Dura-Ace.

Submitted by Olyroller a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Strengths:    It looks good and pretty

Weaknesses:    It's very sluggish in a sprint

Bottom Line:
I just broke the drop out on the dirve side. Specilaized is replacing it with (my choice) a Cro Mo frame. That was my first and only alum road frame and I will never go back.

Purchased At:   River City Cycles Po

Submitted by moving up a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2003

Strengths:    Absolutely outstanding customer service from Specialized - better than I would have dared to hope for; can't see any room for improvement.
The bike is light and very reasonably priced for very high performance in return.

Weaknesses:    Rough ride; parts failure - spokes 500 miles; frame 4,000 miles; stock seat was seriously painful initially; stock wheels supplied with poor quality plastic liner.

Bottom Line:
Mixed review. Rode it 4,000 miles, and then the frame cracked at the dropout. Specialized receives an A++ for service. They replaced the frame with an '03 upgrade and I only had to pay for the bike shop changeover (A++ to Bike Sport Shop in Austin - highly recommended). The bike rode great and I enjoyed it immensely. It was fast, steady, predictable, great climbing and an all around pleasure to ride. Had to replace spokes within 500 miles, which were a widely reported flaw with the stock Mavics. Original wheel liners were poor quality, soft plastic, which caused several flats until replaced with Velox tape. The seat was an implement of medieval torture, but after a good bit of saddle soap to soften it up, it was much improved. New frame is a great performer, but just could not get comfortable on it. Loved both the old frame and new one until I took a demo ride on a Trek carbon frame. There IS a difference if you are riding longer rides on rougher pavement like the asphalt covered gravel around Austin. The Specialized is spectacular on smooth roads and it accelerates, flies and climbs like a wonder, but, it is rough riding in comparison with the Trek carbon frame. In my experience, the Specialized frame significantly contributes to overall fatigue after about an hour in comparison with the carbon frame. Both were equipped with Ultegra.

Favorite Ride:   360 Westside of Austin

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop A

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200 (most recent); Specialized E5 frame (replaced the Allez frame)

Bike Setup:   Ultegra; Mavic A29; stock Body Geometry seat; Speedplay pedals.

Submitted by Charles a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
On September 30th I posted a review regarding my Specialized Allez Comp. I reported a broken frame. As an update, I want the readers to know that Specialized replaced this frame with a new 2003 Allez Pro complete with new fork, 1 1/8 carbon steerer tube, and carbon seat post. I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet. The warranty service exceeded my expectations.

Submitted by Charles a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    Good on climbs. Nice appearence. Okay first road bike.

Weaknesses:    Harsh riding, especially on chip seal roads. The road buzz causes me a lot of fatigue. A centruy ride is my limit on this bike. The I have upgraded twice to the best Specialized body geometry saddle with no luck. I finally went to San Marco Aero for best comfort. The CXP 23 rims were poorly welded and machined and would not stay true. I had the rear rim replaced once under warranty because it so far out of true from the factory. I upgarded to Rolfs for training and Velomax for mountain rides. The Velomax wheels have been the best improvement on this bike. The frame broke last week at the right chain stay at the drop out. I have not heard from the factory yet on warranty, but assume the fame will be replaced. The right brake level rattled since new. This is not good long distance bike, but is well suited for shorter rides and fast training. For longer rides, I installed a suspension seat post which did help my comfort. In all fairness, I have just out grown what this bike can do and can't expect $4,000 performance for $1,300.00.

Bottom Line:
This was my first road bike. I purchased this bike because it was the best price I could find for a full ultrega bike.

Favorite Ride:   Ride around Mount Rainer