Specialized 1999 Allez M4 Pro Older Road Bike

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.99

1999 Specialized Allez M4 Pro, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Kinesis fork

Submitted by Patrick

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    Hill climbing and fast stable desending.

Weaknesses:    Its not for the faint at heart, not very forgiving on a rough road. Great 1st bike for CRITS.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded frame with Durace components but found using a 3 x 10 ring from bontranger worked over the top on any climb for a beginner. Changed rims to mavic open pros and the technology in the kevlar tires make it real fast. Shifters where changed to the shimano flight deck. The Allez pro colors have the look of a new age aero frame, many riders ask where I got it because of the color. I still enjoy riding it at club events and charity events in the 65-90 mile range.

Submitted by Dan a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2011

Strengths:    Hill climbing

Weaknesses:    Heard this bikes frame will wear out over time. I will see. Mine has meny miles on it.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike on craigslist. The guy I bought it from loved the bike and was happy I lived close to him so he could see the bike around town. I am a fairly new bike rider and this bike is my third and I have dropped looking for bikes because this one is perfect for me. I can ride up any hill with ease. This was not the case with my other bikes. I had to walk them up on occasion. I ride close behind or faster then the much more experienced riders I ride with now. I feel stronger and have rekindled my passion for riding with this bike. It is fun again.

Favorite Ride:   Panola mt

Purchased At:   Craigs list atl

Submitted by tbaker394 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    This is a rocket, Little effort on the uphils, screams on the downhills. Great value for the money, I added a lot of higher end components, but finally got the bike that I wanted. The Green is outstanding. Love the color.

Weaknesses:    NA

Bottom Line:
This bike goes with little effort, this is my entry into the road game, I have been riding hills for many years. With this bike, the transition was nice and easy. Highly recommended

Favorite Ride:   Johnson road

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   58CM Dura-Ace Components, 7700 STI Flight deck, Easton EM/EC 90 Handle bars, stem, forks. Specialized Aratar Seat, Neuvation Aero wheeles, continental tires, Salsa Titaniun Skewers, 9 speed, Cane Creek Headset.

Submitted by Jon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    Frame is stiff, great parts group. The tires lasted 6 years!!! Love the paint.

Weaknesses:    Seat sucks.

Bottom Line:
A very good buy. Parts group are excellent. Very good climber. I dont rid it too much only for training. Trying to race XC mountain bike. Will hopefully race for the first time this weekend.

Favorite Ride:   Allez Pro

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Ultegra parts group, BBB seatpost, Stella Italia seat

Submitted by Scott Sheets a Triathlete from Frankfort, Illinois, US

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, aero frame, ultegra group, incredably responsive

Weaknesses:    seat, what a rock!!!

Bottom Line:
Everyone was right. This bike is a rocket. I was 2 minutes faster on a hilly 17.5 mile course with a lower heart rate. This thing climbs almost by itself. I also found I fit a smaller frame than I anticipated. My Cannondale R600 was a 63cm (just a hair too big) and I fit the 58 cm frame on the M4 perfectly. I can't wait for my next duathlon in 2 weeks. Since I got an older model, I got a great deal. I would have been hapy even if I paid a lot more. I had to have a forward seatpost before to put me in a good TT position. Not with this bike. This is a good bike for someone interested in TT or multisport.

Favorite Ride:   Old Plank Trail