Trek 1999 Y Foil 66D Older Road Bike

4.6/5 (20 Reviews)

1999 Trek Y Foil 66D, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

Submitted by Nathan Scot a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    OCLV sturdy, very aero and comfortable and minimal bounce (unlike a softride). Handles quite well, stable downhill at 50mph+, good power transfer at bottom bracket. Elegant looking despite what was cutting edge design.

Weaknesses:    Original fork heavy! Frame is not the lightest but bike can be made into a competitive 18 lbs with a little work
Rear stays are vulnerable to shoe rub.
Cross winds can be tricky if inattentive
Not legal for racing (damn UCI!)

Bottom Line:
I have 5 bikes I ride and this is still a dream bike. I have repainted it, the seams in the OCLV lugs caused the original paint to crack. New, higher quality paint does not suffer from the same problem. Many users have thought this was a terminal problem but it is just a paint blemish. Y-foil is a solid road bike, not a TT bike. Stock fork heavy and unique, bike was made to accept a rock shock for Paris-Roubaix, hence a taller fork crown. My 59 CM size accepted a standard Reynolds carbon fork and I swear it handles better now than with the stock geometry. It makes the seat tube angle just a bit steeper.
Was ridden by Mike Pigg in a triathlon before I got it. The designer of the frame said my custom paint was the best scheme he ever saw on the frame (Gustav Klimt inspired)

Favorite Ride:   HHH 100

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Not many items similar, but I have:
Austro-Daimler Superleicht (stretchy geometry)
Leader Crit alum bike
Spec Epic carbon
Ciocc Mockba 80

Bike Setup:   Campy Record rear derailleur (carbon)
Campy Athena monoplaner brakes
Campy Centaur front derailleur
Aero carbon seat post, flite saddle
Gold Camp Khamsin wheelset w Miche cassette
Custom "Ver Sacrum" Campy Carbon 9 sp levers and
now a Campy record crank, Chorus BB
Reynolds Ouzo Pro all carbon fork, Stronglight headset (need a Chris King Gold!) Easton bars, Ritchey WCS stem, Aztec cables

Submitted by aejc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Strengths:    aerodynamics, looks, acceleration

Weaknesses:    water bottle boss

Bottom Line:
Overall, this was a great bike. After six years and 20K miles, I still love it and its looks still turn heads. It accelerates, climbs and handles well, and the suspension smooths the roadway. I bent the derailleur hanger switching gears on a climb, and the frame was returned to Trek for inspection. Trek found a crack in the frame and offered a 5500 frame as a replacement. I upgraded to a Madone, but missed the Y-foil enough to buy another one.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   nothing really: previous bike Puegeot PFN-10, mtb: Dean Duke XC

Bike Setup:   stock Ultegra, upgraded wheelset to Rolf Vector Pro at time of purchase, switched to time trial bars in 2001

Submitted by briandavis a Triathlete from Santa Rosa CA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Strengths:    Great handling, Great Hill Climber. Silky Smooth Ride.

Weaknesses:    Cross wind nightmare. With deep wheels, the wind is your worst enemy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is da__ __ fast. I've had it 4 4 years now and have not had one problem. I'm 6.0' and 185 lbs, and am amazed at how well it has held up. My friends are always bugging me to get a new bike, I tell them, when they can drop, me I will

Favorite Ride:   Geysers

Price Paid:    $2098.00

Purchased At:   Rincon Valley Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Softride

Bike Setup:   Ultegra, Hed Deep Wheels, Syntace Bars, Bar End Shifters, Conti 3000's.

Submitted by Jay a Road Racer from N.Calif

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Supple ride, good handling, predictable brakes.

Weaknesses:    Cross-winds are best avoided. The frame and the wheels catch a side blast, you're down! Yes, the tape unravels (eventually). So what?

Bottom Line:
After 9000 miles, several charity centuries and the rigors of daily pounding, my Y-foil continues to amaze me. I got the Spinergy Rev-X thrown into the deal. You should hear the kids at the local high school when I fly by!

Favorite Ride:   daily 20 riebli loop

Purchased At:   dave's

Similar Products Used:   Myiata Aluminum bought in Japan.
Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Stock/ excpt wheels - RevX

Submitted by mlivesay a Recreational Rider from Anna, IL 62906

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, Very responsive, The best ride I've had.

Weaknesses:    After 3 years of riding it, I've noticed a crack in the frame around a fabrication joint just ahead of the crank. I sent it in to trek and spoke to Jeff at 920-478-4678 ext 2241. My concern was it was falling apart, Jeff assued me it wasn't and offered to replace the frame. I told him I was the second owner and he said he would still replace it, except I would have to pay for it, only $1000. If only I was the original purchaser. Honestly I'm afraid to ride it. Another rider in our group has the same crack on his Y77, but he is the original owner, so I guess they will replace his free. I wonder if General Motors will consider an original purchaser warrenty. Anyway, I feel this unsafe and not an isolated problem. Check your frames riders. If you want to know more, email me at mlivesay@midwest.net

Bottom Line:
A very good all round ride, great hill climber, downhill speedo.

Favorite Ride:   Trek y Foil 66