Trek 1999 Y Foil 77 Older Road Bike

4.78/5 (32 Reviews)

1999 Trek Y Foil 77, road race & triathlon, Shimano Dura-Ace components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

Submitted by bikebldr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    Great Trek customer service, frame design slices the air better than newer lighter frames, excels on long rides, no flex sprints(monocoque molding), no numbness because the beam smooths out the road. Attention grabber from riders and non riders. Nice wall art when not riden.

Weaknesses:    Cross winds with deep V rims are felt. Frame not legal in some races. No longer in production.

Bottom Line:
OK so my fellow team riders called it the circus bike when I first built the Y-77 in 2000, but I was the one laughing when they couldn't catch me on climbs and especially on the downhills. Most of them are now riding carbon or Ti/carbon frames trying to duplicate this out of production Trek marvel. I train and race on this bike 150-200 miles a week even though it was built and set up for centuries. I have tried to stray, but can't find anything that replaces the smooth ride, fast easy sprints and attention that the Y-77 gives. If you have the chance to buy or ride this bike you'll never regret it.

Favorite Ride:   Trek Y-77

Purchased At:   fellow bikers

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone,5500,5200 Colnago C40, CT1, Specialized Tarmac, Giant OCR and Orbea Orca(I would stray to this frame if I quit riding the Y-77)

Bike Setup:   Campy Record 10, Spinergy Xero wheels, Kestral carbon bars, Cinelli Grammo Ti stem, Corima blade seatpost, Fizik Pave seat

Submitted by jdlipman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, ride and Trek support!

Weaknesses:    I had problems with the braking on the Rolf Vector Pros. I got the first ones off the lot. There was no machined braking surface. Trek exchanged the wheels without a question. When I still had problems, they swapped out the brake pads with the softer Durace model. This made a huge difference. Thank you Trek and Bicycle Tech (My dealer)

Bottom Line:
I previously rode a Trek 5200 which I loved and shared many a century with and every morning ride. When the Y77 was released, my friend/dealer had a Y66 in the store and told me to take it home for a week just for fun. I had no initial intention of buying this bike but fell instantly in love. I did NOT like the Ultegre groupo or the wheels so I opted for the Y77 with full Durace and Rolf Vector Pro wheels. As much as an equipment freak as I am, and I like a new bike every 2-3 years, I will never sell this bike. The ride and looks are second to none and boy it's comfy and it moves! As a creative director, I truly appreciate it's timeless design and elegance with the practical benefits of comfort. I would only like to upgrade my bars, stem and seatpost in the very near future.

Favorite Ride:   Trek Y77

Purchased At:   Bicycle Tech

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200

Bike Setup:   Trek Y77 carbon, full Durace, Rolf Vector Pro wheels with Hugi hubs and Michelin Axial Pro tires, TTT Forma bars and stem, Thompson Elite seatpost, Saddleco Flow saddle, Time ATAC pedals.

Submitted by Ray Canuck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Unbelievable acceleration, stiff BB, smoothest ride on the road!
Looks

Weaknesses:    unapproved design (too bad)
Tricky in strong side winds. (I wouldn't recommend deep dish rims.)
Looks
lastly.....
you can't get them anymore!

Bottom Line:
Thought I'd add my long term usage review to the list here. The other day I went out wanting to buy a new bike, just because I was a little bored and wanted the latest. Knowing the owner of the shop allowed me to take several bikes out for long rides. I tried the Trek TT...well looks cool and is fast but not an everyday bike. The Cervelo Soloist was nice but it didn't fit me quite right. Last I tried a Litespeed Ti which was my least favourite.
Well here I am today with my 1999 Trek Y-Foil 77, it is by far the best ride. The only upgrades on my bike are the Spox wheelset & Syntace cow horn bars (I prefer them over drops) No arrow bars though, my Tri days are over. Probably have 20 000km on the frame, without a hint of a problem. I'm not a big fan of it's looks today but did like the look when I bought it.
I'm 6ft ,180lbs and love 3-5 hour rides through hilly terrain.

If you find one your size buy it, disregard what the bike shop guy & your buddy says 'cus this is a sweet ride!

PS: I am interested in the Cervelo R2.5 can't wait to try one.

Favorite Ride:   IMC route

Purchased At:   The Bike Barn, Penti

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2300, Quintana Roo Kilo

Bike Setup:   Spinergy Spox, Shimano Ultegra, Speedplay

Submitted by soberollers a Road Racer from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Strengths:    read above...

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
The bike is set up as a time trial but I road ride with it as well. Wheelset is the Hed Jet 60 (a bit heavy but still fly’s), Vision bar (again a bit heavy but makes up in aero), with Record crank/BB, Dura Ace bar end shifters and the rest Ultegra. All together the bike is a tad heavier than my past bikes but blows them all away in comfort & performance. Climbs pretty well along with her sprinting ability. I've had Look's, Fuji Team's, Cannandale's, Avanti's, etc and the Foil is so much greater that I sold all the rest. So comfortable, very rigid, extremely aero and very fast. Lacks a tiny bit in climbs and sprints but still blows away other climbers and sprinters. If you can get a hold on a frame I strongly suggest you do so and build one up and then you will know what I'm talking about. Super product, too bad they stopped making them. Another thing is that it's not spongy like the softrides as it's a one piece carbon. Enjoy...

Favorite Ride:   Team training rides

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   no similar ride except between a Look and a Zipp bike...

Bike Setup:   read above...

Submitted by mapryor a Recreational Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Very cool look...I get stopped all the time by roadies wanting a closer look. And much easier on the crotch while still being rock solid accelerating and climbing.

Weaknesses:    None, only that Trek discontinued in 1999, but perhaps these reviews will cause them to bring it back!

Bottom Line:
I've had a Trek 5200 for a year, and I just had to have a Y-77. Chain Reaction sold their last 56cm frameset the week before, so I cruised eBay and got the frame, fork, headset, quill, and seatpost for $750. I love my 5200, but the Y-77 is one better--it's easier on the family jewels over a long ride. I feel a nice cushioning over bumps with the "beam" suspension of the seat, while the rest of the bike is rock solid. Descending is slightly faster than my 5200, and I'm glad I went Dura Ace on the shifters because my stock Ultegra STIs just crapped out on my 5200. But now I get to ride my Y-Foil more!

Favorite Ride:   Oakland Hills