Trek 2000 5200 Older Road Bike

4.78/5 (105 Reviews)

• The 2.44 lb. OCLV carbon frame, handbuilt in the USA, is the lightest production frame available.
  • The same responsive Trek Pro Geometry Lance won on.
  • The ICON Air Rail carbon fork, raced by the USPS Pro Cycling team, is ultralight and responsive.
  • The Rolf Vector Comp paired spoke wheelset is light, stiff and aerodynamic.
  • Shimano Ultegra crank and 9-speed derailleurs (double or triple).

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Arthurl a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Robust/Stiff frame, Smooth Ride, Great for fast flat rider like me.

Weaknesses:    Poor paint quality - scratches easily and very fragile.
    Original San Marco seat feels like a plank.

Bottom Line:
    Having decided to pick up triathlon 3 years ago, i had decided that Trek's 5200 was an ideal bike for me as it had great reviews on this website. I bought mine second hand from a website in Singapore and loved it immediately. The carbon frame was lighter than anything i had ridden then and the ride was smooth like riding on carpet! I thought the stock Rolf Vector Comp wheels were ok as training wheels but i recently upgraded to a pair of Zipps for racing. It is a fast bike on the flats and the pickup and handling is amazing. I switched the Icon seatpost to a Ritchie WCS Carbon post, and replaced the San Marco replica with Fizik's Arione Tri - best saddle i've had.

In 3 years, i have put the frame and parts through quite a bit of a test. The only rusty bits have been some bolts at the stem/water bottle area and the brake/gear cables. Small issue. But it was recently that i found a flaw with Trek's build quality, and that is its fragile paintwork/logo stickers. Having to share transportation to my training/race venues means putting the bike in a van, with other makes like Cannondale, Giant, etc... and it seems like my Trek is the only one to ALWAYS come out the worse for wear. Its quite disappointing that a bike this expensive (if bought new, which luckily i didn't) could lose its paintwork/decals so easily. It makes me very tempted to strip the paintwork and respray the bike! Apart from this complaint, i'd say this bike is a great ride for beginners with a bit more cash to spend. I won't be looking at another Trek for my upgrade unless the paint quality is improved upon.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere without a car

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Six 13 for a few test rides.

Bike Setup:   USPS Team Replica
    Shimano Ultegra 9 speed groupset
    Zipp 303 front/404 rear
    Syndace C2 aerobars
    Fizik Arione Tri Saddle
    Ritchie WCS Carbon Seatpost

Submitted by boisclair a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong frame, quiet and smooth ride, very fast, comfortable enough to go for very long 100 mile rides. climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    can't really find any.

Bottom Line:
    This 5200 is a rocket, I really purchased it for the frame. I commute every day all year, I use a mountain bike for winter. I'm a big guy 225 lbs and have had no problems with the frame, no wonder trek took this model out of the line up for 2007, was too much bike for too little money, anyone looking for a hi end road bike should be considering a 5200, get one before they sell out and re-stock with 07 models.

Favorite Ride:   2006 Trek 5200

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Calgary So

Similar Products Used:   trek 1500, devinci, various other road bikes since 1973.

Bike Setup:   5200 frame, dura-ace all components, selle italia slr carbon saddle, flight deck computer, bontrager carbon stem and bars, dura-ace pedals.

Submitted by SevenEli a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    smooth ride good handling

Weaknesses:    paint comes off easily specially in the cable stopers due to corrosive of Al stoppers..

Bottom Line:
    When I bought this bike.. WOw what a dream bike but as a started doing tri the cable stopper started to corrode which started to peel the paint. Now my bike is a mess paint is coming off here and there. Well that was still ok cause the ride is still very nice. Then one day the dropouts was bent and that was the end of my bike. the dropouts were not replacable Dealer in Singapore told me to see the Philippine dealer and the Philippine delaer told me to see the Sing dealer. so end up buying another bike and dispoing this frame.

Purchased At:   singapore

Bike Setup:   Ultegra standard setup from Trek. Rolf wheelset

Submitted by Bam-Bam a Road Racer from Bedrock

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Modest price (frame only)
    light-weight
    stiff & efficient
    comfortable

Weaknesses:    Slight loss of road feel
    Slightly noisy; hollow frame tubes amplifiey shifting noises
    Needs frame size choices in 1cm graduations, not 2cm

Bottom Line:
    I was shopping for a new frame and the Trek 5500 was on my short list. I mean how can you beat a 3-1/2# frame _AND_ fork a piddling $1500?? I planned to buy a naked frame and build it up with my own special concoction of components (Campy cogs, FSA crank, Brew brakes, Deda stems and h-bar). But the occasional reference in reviews to the Trek’s “dead” or “wooden” feeling made me want to do more than just a dealer’s short test-ride. So I borrowed a friend’s 2000 model 5200 triple and kept it a week.

In brief, the frame is nearly flawless. It’s lighter than it has reason to be and so stiff I can’t detect _any_ bottom bracket flex (but I’m a miserable sprinter). Its cornering is confidence-inspiring and it panic stops without drama. Seamless and practically perfect performance. It’s certainly more capable than I am.

Then there’s the ride. The carbon mutes small irregularities so well that most roads feel as if they were laid by real professionals (figure the odds). It’s a trait that spares the kidneys a ton of abuse on long rides. And, for me, that was the problem.

The difference was very small but very distinct. Having spent the past 12 years on Italian steel, I have grown accustomed to high levels of road feedback. After my first real ride I had labeled the 5200 as “numb.” It muted road feel that I had grown to rely on, feel that communicated with me the condition of the road.

It was a deal-breaker. I returned my friend’s bike and, the next day, called Carl Strong (www.strongframes.com) and ordered a custom all-steel frame.

The Trek’s performance is virtually flawless; I just have a problem with _how_ it goes about its business. If I’d bought one of my own, I’d imagine that a year down the road I’d laugh at the idea of ever going back to steel. But for now you can pigeon-hole me with the rest of the “steel is real” retro-grouches.

Favorite Ride:   Suck Creek Road, Chattanooga

Similar Products Used:   Tommasini SLX
    Pinarello SL
    Trek 2300
    Merlin
    Titespeed Ultimate

Bike Setup:   Box-stock (full Ultegra 600 triple)

Submitted by markus williner a Recreational Rider from berne, switzerland

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Strengths:    light, good looking, ttrustworthy, quality. Just the feeling you are looking for if you want to have a great time on the road. And, other riders will envy you. Of course, you always have to keep an eye on it. Smoke Carbon is in my opinion much better than USPS colors. You don't look like someone who wants to be like Lance Armstrong, but who will never reach this level anyway.

Weaknesses:    the saddle is hell

Bottom Line:
    After several years I decided to finally buy a really good bike. I road tested some, but when I was racing through berne on a trek 5200 2001, my choice was made after all. And indeed I was right. This baby is just gorgeous. I didn't know that racing was that comfy.

Favorite Ride:   from berne to lucerne

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   old gerber road bike. about ten years old. but still very reliable. I still use it to go to university. Hey, nobody would leave a trek 5200 carbon locked in some dark corner in town!

Bike Setup:   usual setup with rolf vector comps. I heard they were not the best. But I'll see.

Does anyone own the 2000 Smoke Carbon Trek 5200?

To me, this is one of the most beautiful Treks ever made. Can anyone comment on this bike and/or post some pictures?Read More »