Univega 2000 Modo Vivere Triple Older Road Bike

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage Triple components, Univega SABRE fork

Submitted by Minx a Commuter from Marin Ca

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    pretty fast bike, comfortable steel frame, almost effortless to pedal. Great beginner bike good combo road and tri-bike.

Weaknesses:    bike weighs a bit if stock but nothing you could fix with a couple of upgrades, wheels and fork

Bottom Line:
Great bike! good value! Been using the bike to commute to work and around marin, rides great, I agree with the other comments about the saddle being a bit hard, but that takes some getting used to.

Favorite Ride:   All over!

Purchased At:   ceasars bikes, san a

Similar Products Used:   I 've ridden the trek postal carbon fiber bike 5200 or something like that for about a month before buying this bike. I can't compare the two also the trek was almost 4times the price of the Univega,

Bike Setup:   camp veloce components equivilant to shimano 105's which is a third level from the best component se

Submitted by georgeyew a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Steel frame, great response, comfortable, great paint.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but not much, I can still comfortably carry it with one hand.

Bottom Line:
I found a 2001 model at an incredible closeout price. They actually had one that was in my size, I was amazed. For the price, the bike cannot be beat. I cannot complain about anything on the bike. I've been a mountain biker for 3 years and I just love the speed that this bike gives me. The components are fine, I like the fact that it can be adjusted incrementally. The seat is a bit hard, but nothing that gel padded (gummy bear)shorts can't fix. If you can still find one for that price, get it. I have no regrets, except that I'll be leaving my mountain bike in the garage more now :-(

Favorite Ride:   WO&D

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitt

Similar Products Used:   GT ZR5.0

Bike Setup:   Stock except for clipless pedals.

Submitted by Pogue a Recreational Rider from Spelling MT

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    speed, gearing. Looks sharp.

Weaknesses:    The bearings grind when I apply power to the pedals. The bike shop claims that this is not adjustable. We'll see this weekend when I take it apart.
Warning! Black bicycles are not visible in city traffic.
Next bike will be aluminum.

Bottom Line:
Bought the 2001 Modo Vivre after careful comparison shopping. Local bike shop ended up beating the best price by sixty bucks.
Fast and tight bike. Lots of gears. It is a different ride than my 25 year old Raliegh Record. Less of a comfortable bike, but faster and more aerodynamic.
Needs a new seat, I will put a Specialized Sport saddle on it. Also the pedals need to go, clip (or is it clipless?) looks easier to use.

Favorite Ride:   Central Park

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Campagno stuff, whatever.

Submitted by jcheyney a Recreational Rider from Irving, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride.
Great price.
Well made.

Weaknesses:    Saddle is horrendous.
The Mirage group isn't particularly smooth shifting. It requires very good technique.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for my first road bike to get serious about riding with. I found this at closeout and the manager made me an offer (the bike listed at $700.00). I love it. I have 200 miles on it (including 45 miles yesterday on my first organized ride) and love it. For the money it rides well and I passed a lot of riders on much more expensive bikes. If you are looking for an entry level road bike and aren't put off by being the off brand name it is a great deal.

Purchased At:   Wheels & Fitness in

Bike Setup:   Stock with Terry Fly Ti saddle.

Submitted by tattootom a Recreational Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Strengths:    Columbus Thron frame is on some $1200 bikes!, good components, wheels. Just a plain old great ride.

Weaknesses:    besides me, nothing.

Bottom Line:
After retirement from rugby I bought a GF Marlin for mountainbiking. Good fun, but I had more fun riding to the trails than being on them. Then I bought the Modoviviere and I love it. This is my first road bike so I didn't want to spend a lot, turns out I didn't have to. This thing can take me anywhere. I easily keep up with my riding buddies on $1500 Bianchis. It probably could be lighter, but then again so could I. Shifting is good, some stickage on the front derailuer, rear is crisp and clean. I don't have a problem with the seat. It's a little hard but it doesn't get in my way. Buy some maxipad shorts and you'll be fine. It's hard for me to even get on my GF after this bike. I ride my Uni about 18 miles a day commuting and training and do about 70 miles on the weekends; gonna do some centuries in the spring. All in all, I'm very happy with this bike. If you find it, buy it. I think this is the last model for Univegas!

Favorite Ride:   it's a secret

Purchased At:   Discovery Cycles

Similar Products Used:   1st road bike. Tested Trek, Giant, Fuji, Bianchi at same price range.

Bike Setup:   stock, spd clipless pedals.