Univega 2000 Modo Volare Older Road Bike

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Daytona components, Univega SABRE fork

Submitted by The Human G-Nome a Recreational Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2002

Strengths:    VERY smooth. comfortable. very adequate climber. Campy gruppo for cheap. durable.

Weaknesses:    +22 lbs. (but hey, it's steel). mavic cxp21s aren't exactly boutique wheels.

Bottom Line:
Let me just say that this bike is excellent "for the money" and you'd be hardpressed to find someone who'd write a bad review. it's a classic "steel is real" ride with low-end Campy. it's not a racer, but it's a perfect bike for riding distance and for comfort. that being said, i have no problem at all keeping up with my group on the climbs and it's certainly stiff enough to keep you in the game. if you're thinking about buying one of these, go to GVHBikes.com and have Gary build you one. you'll end up with a better ride then what you could get stock and pay less money.

Favorite Ride:   Muir Woods/ Stinson Beach

Purchased At:   LBS - San Francisco

Similar Products Used:   several american steel and aluminum.

Bike Setup:   stock Modo Volare

Submitted by aroundoz a Recreational Rider from Spokane, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, Campy components.

Weaknesses:    If anyone has bad luck when buying anything, it is usually me. I bought it from the Bicycle Center in Seattle, and although the people are friendly, the set up left a lot to be desired. 1st ride out, several spokes on the rear wheel were beyond loose, they were flopping around. The headset seal was installed incorrectly and a bearing was missing from one of the retainers in the headset. The shops solution was to toss the seal thus leaving quite the gap for water/dirt to enter. The last 5 rides I broke 3 spokes on the rear and had to have it rebuilt with double butted 14/15. It comes with straight 15 guage and was told they were too light for me (I weigh in at about 215). The crank arms were over torqued so have almost bottomed out meaning that the spindle and crank are almost flush. I was told that Daytona is low end so the aluminum is softer but I don't buy it. I would appreciate any feedback on this (paschmidt40@yahoo.com). The last thing is that the sealed bottom bracket has already developed some play after only 1000 miles. Once I replace the BB, I will most likely have to replace the cranks since they are only good for one more remove/install. I ended up taking to another shop

Bottom Line:
I will first start with the positive and say that this is the most fun I have ever had bike riding. My previous bike was a Klein, which I thought I likee, but I find this steal frame much more forgiving especially on the chip seal roads in my area. I thought I was a slow rider but now find myself keeping up w/ the fast riders in my club.

Favorite Ride:   The Centenial Trail in Spokane that goes north from the city out to nine mile and back.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Center i

Similar Products Used:   I also tried Lemond and Canondale. I am 6'05" so pretty much stuck with test riding whatever I can find in my size. Didn't notice any difference in ride between the MV and the Lemond but was only on t

Bike Setup:   Never used the saddle and pedals. Installed my Brooks B17 and Shimano 747s. I have about 12,000 mile

Submitted by Vigor a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Strengths:    Campy parts, columbus tubing.

Weaknesses:    The weight, mine (56cm) without water bottles or computer comes in right at 21.2 pounds. If you're chasing someone up a hill or sprinting, 3+ pounds is significant.

Bottom Line:
I've owned my bike since Oct 2001 and have logged about 2,000 miles on it since. The frame and fork absorb the bumps well (steel/carbon combo). It also feels solid and trustworthy when doing a fast desent. The oversized down tube works for heavy cranking up hills. The price tag was something I could afford without causing significant marital discord.

Favorite Ride:   Kadena to Nago and back

Purchased At:   Bills Bike Shop - IF

Similar Products Used:   I have found I like the sport, a lot, and have since bought a De Rosa Merak with campy record (along with marrital discord) for racing.

Bike Setup:   Stock except a chorus bb and headset. (The diffence was noticable with the BB)

Submitted by Guy a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    Columbus Thron steel frame and Campy gruppo

Weaknesses:    Finding one. LBS where I bought mine wouldn't stock. Said he'd bring it in if I really thought I'd buy it. I ended up buying too large of a frame. (My fault and his). But I love it.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great. My first new bike in about 18yrs so I researched pretty thoroughly. Excellent component mix at a great price.

Favorite Ride:   Sunny spring morning in northern Illinois

Purchased At:   Waukegan Illinois

Bike Setup:   Stock except for shorter ITM stem.

Submitted by TOMMY KUO a Recreational Rider from Redwood Shores, CA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    rides straight--very stable coming down--
the cxp 21 seem pretty strong
The mainly Daytona groupo just simply--works
the cool frame--laterally stiff but smooth and compliant over road bumps
the price

Weaknesses:    the downtube "UNIVEGA" sticker looks geeky--
a little portly compared to its similarly priced competitors--but then I am no lightweight
original pedals kind of suck

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 2001 Modo Volare

Love the bike--it is about 21lb without the original Wellgo pedals(which were chucked out quickly for trusty spuds--till I save for some Speedplays, Logics, or Looks)---some surprises where the tubing itself--the THRON top is oversized and the down tube is teardrop(funny that it isn't mentioned in the web site)--it is not a complete Daytona group ---hubs are veloce--but other than that it rides straight and downhills are much more reassuring (this is compared to my 11yo STOWE SL frame--with my 185lb)---it seems pretty smooth -want a smoother ride pump the tires up a little bit less than usual--the HSD seem able to handle slightly lower pressures of 90lb without pinch flats--so far -compared to the Giant TCR2 it was a couple of hundreds $$less with a Campy groupo on it--which shifts just fine--cool carbon straight blade fork--with this frame countersteering around corners is a snap
basically it is an all Italian bike(except for the welding-and maybe the fork--Taiwan)
the goofy XO saddles actually feels kind
of comfy-the ITM stem and bars don't flex

Favorite Ride:   anything without cars

Purchased At:   bike connection, Pal

Similar Products Used:   STOWE SL for 11 years(too flexy)--test rode the TCR2--couldn't get a proper fit
--too cheap to try anything else

Bike Setup:   as original except for the WEllGO R4 pedals with don't work so WELL