Airborne 2001 Carpe Diem Older Touring Bike

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

• $1500 - $3500
  • The Ultimate Touring Bike
  • You Choose Each Component to Create and Purchase your Dream Bike Online.
  • Aerospace Grade 3AL/2.5V Titanium Frame
  • Multi-shaped Cold Worked Seamless Titanium Tubing
  • Cantilever or V Brakes, Rack mounts, Fender Mounts
  • GAMS (Graceful Arc Maximum Stiffness) engineered seat and chain stays.
  • Sizes: 50,54,56,58,& 60cm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight, durable, looks very nice with curved stays and attractive titanium finish.

Weaknesses:    Front fork shudder (still trying to find a solution).

Bottom Line:
    Bought the frame off eBay 2 years ago for $600 including a Chris King headset. I built the bike up with Dura Ace components from my old road bike and put on some good v-brakes. I've used the bike for everything from daily commuting to cyclocross races. I've even ridden the bike on a couple of 4-day, 400 mile tours. My intent was to get one bike that could do it all and I haven't been disappointed. I suppose my only complaint is that I can't get rid of the front brake shudder. I've tried several different carbon forks as well as a Kinesis Crosslight aluminum fork. I've tried several different models of brakes and countless different brake pads. No matter what, I still get alot of brake shudder when I grab hold of the front brake. It's not so bad if I feather the braking but when I grab hold you can visibly see the front fork vibrating. It's pretty unnerving, especially on a descent. Other than that, the bike has been great.

Favorite Ride:   Everything

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Keith a Commuter from Central Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    Versitility, comfort.

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
    As with my Zep, I waited until I had 2000 miles on my CD before posting a review. I got a can't-walk-away-from-it deal on my CD at an Airborne garage sale in June, 5 months ago. I set the bike up with Campy Centaur triple I got for very good price on eBay -- the entire bike cost me about $1000, all new. The CD is extremely versitile, as advertised. I ride it daily on my 28 mile commute to and from work. I've also used it for club rides, including this years Columbus Fall Challenge, a dou ble century in SW Ohio that includes 11,000 feet of climbing and one 23% grade hill ("Malta"). The bike handles beautifully, and performs flawlessly. It's far more comfortable than a conventional road, and very nearly as efficient. I can ride it on a fast club ride with 700 x 25s and stripped down (remove fenders, lights and rack), with cyclocross tires off road (in lots of mud), then with rack, lights and fenders for commuting. It does everything well.

Favorite Ride:   200+ miles, hills!

Purchased At:   Airborne Garage Sale

Similar Products Used:   Airborne Zep, Mercian Pro, Bottechia Pro, Paramount P-15.

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Centaur 3 x 9, 36 spoke wheels w/Mavic MA-3s, Tektro Oryx brakes (nicer than Avids), Honey Brooks B-17 Champion Special, variety of tires (road, cross, touring)

Submitted by sweeks a Recreational Rider from Mundelein, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful frame, stable and comfortable ride, fair price, assistance with component choices. No one else I know has one! Wheels have survived some pretty rough roads with a 195-pound rider.

Weaknesses:    No instant gratification here: it requires a few days' wait (oh, grow up!); beautiful frame: prospect of riding in wet weather makes me seriously consider mudguards! Small chance of shipping damage (Airborne assumes responsibility). Possibility of alienating LBS owner who can't (or won't) get this bike or anything like it for you.

Bottom Line:
    1) The ordering process
    After I had looked around a bit and had pretty much decided that I was serious about the Carpe Diem, I called Airborne and spoke to a human (Eric M.). There followed a series of many e-mail exchanges over a few weeks as I made my final selections. Eric was very tolerant of my myriad questions and I became very comfortable about the purchase of such an expensive (by my standards) bike, sight unseen, over the internet. The bike was finally ordered and arrived about a week later, somewhat ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, the carrier (nameless here) played some kind of contact sport with the box, and the front wheel was slightly bent. Airborne promptly shipped me a new wheel (complete with tube, tire and air!), so I was up and riding soon after. I was able to return the damaged wheel later.

2) The product
    The frame is flawless even under magnification (3.5X). The welds are clearly done by people who know what they're doing. (See the review of the frame by Tom Voigt.) Assembly was very simple. The Airborne "tool" is the only thing needed to assemble the bike and make minor adjustments.

3) The riding experience
    Now that I've ridden the bike for over 150 miles (hard to do in the Chicago area in February and March... and keep the bike clean), I can at least give a preliminary report. (Short version: I'm thoroughly pleased; the bike is everything I expected!) The frame apparently does what it's supposed to do with road vibration. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, yet the handling is quite responsive and precise. I was persuaded away from the Kinesis aluminum fork which was said to be harsh-riding in a review published in Cycling Plus; also, the Co-Motion fork was the only one compatible with V-brakes, which I was firm on having. When I actually saw the fork, I thought it would ride like a truck, but it is in fact quite compliant. Also, it has braze-ons for a low-rider mount in case I ever want to do serious touring. The longest ride I've had so far was 35 miles and left me without stiffness, soreness or numbness... Anywhere (for what it's worth, I'm 51)! At speeds of up to 34 mph, handling is predictable and crisp, and stiff side winds have little effect. The drivetrain is virtually silent and STI shifters work well. Minor adjustments to the rear derailleur cable tension were necessary during the first 10 miles or so.

Favorite Ride:   Rural roads west of Mundelein (so far...)

Purchased At:   Airborne Direct (air

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it: I ride a nice mountain bike (Trek 6000, year 2000), but my last road bike was a 1975 Motobecane Mirage (still in use).

Bike Setup:   Road bike: 56 cm CD frame, Co-Motion Americano fork, Shimano Ultegra drivetrain (triple), Ultegra ST

Submitted by Jeremy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Ride quality, price (for Ti)

Weaknesses:    Customization choices could be overwhelming for some, but the thorough research is worth it.

Bottom Line:
    I've never owned a bicycle as fine as this. I had been looking at getting something with a fairly exotic material (to me). Titanium seemed the best choice, and I couldn't be more pleased. The ride quality is excellent, the bike is light and very smooth and stable at high speed.

The Airborne website is very unique. You can configure bikes any way you like before deciding on purchase. While you configure, the site lists the price, weight and warns of potential conflicts with the component choices you've made. I still go back occasionally to see what upgrades would fit with my current setup. The customization is cost-friendly. You can spend (almost) as little or as much as you want on componentry/accessories.

Titanium is a great material choice, and Airborne's prices are very reasonable when compared to other Ti labels like Seven, Merlin, Litespeed, etc.

Some problems I've had with my purchase:
    Broken cable-adjustment barrel on delivery. Creaky bottom bracket. Front brake squeek (loud!). Poor Flight Deck function in rain/cold. Previously owned rear rack doesn't fit frame.

If I lost this bike somehow, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   website

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105, Flight Deck, Profile AirStryke 2000 aero bars, Speedplay pedals

Submitted by Jeremy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Ride quality, price (for Ti), options

Weaknesses:    Options could be overwhelming to some, but it pays to do some research.

Some problems I've had with my purchase:

The only problem I've experienced specific to the frame is the rack fit mentioned above. The seat-stays bulge a little near the drop-outs and my cheapy rack doesn't fit properly around the bulge. I'm hoping I won't have this difficulty with a quality rack.

If I lost this bike somehow, I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   airborne.net

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 (full set), Flight Deck, Airstryke 2000 aero bars, Speedplay pedals.