Bianchi 2000 Velope Older Touring Bike

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

touring, Shimano Tiagra Triple components, Bianchi fork

Submitted by Andrej Raspovic a Commuter from Howard Beach

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Strengths:    Forgiving Cro-Moly frame.

Weaknesses:    Rims

Bottom Line:
During my first review of the Bianchi I said that it was not much faster than my Cannondale Mountain Bike.
However , when I rode the Bianchi over the same route I was probably "malnourished".
During a later time trial. I determined that my aluminum Cannondale and Cro-Moly Bianchi weighed about the same.
Over a 9 mile course I rode my Cannondale and required an average of 44 minutes to complete the course.
Under identical conditions I rode my Bianchi and required an average of 34 minutes to complete the course.
I like the Bianchi and consider it a good buy.
It is noticably faster than a comparable mountain bike of the same weight (Although different gear inches [52 tooth chainring 11 tooth freewheel,Bianchi ;48 tooth, 12 tooth Cannondale])
The Bianchi Volpe combines some mountain bike toughness with a noticably faster ride.

Favorite Ride:   94` Cannondale M300 Mt. Bike

Purchased At:   Open Road Cycling Jacksonville,FL

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Original price $850. I added a Thompson seat tube and power grip pedals; as well as a top peak explorer rack. This rounded my bike`s price to $1,000.

Submitted by Andrej Raspovic a Commuter from Howard Beach, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is a very forgiving Cro-Moly.

Weaknesses:    It is not a whole lot faster than my 1994 Cannondale M300 mountain bike.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a touring bicycle with a Cro-Moly frame and Bianchi was the bicycle my father was issued when he was racing in Croatia during the 50`s.
I was disappointed based on time trials while I was commuting 22miles each way. My 1994 Cannondale M300 mountain bike took an average of 90 minutes; while my Bianchi averaged 80 minutes.(I did at least 20 round trips with each bike).

Favorite Ride:   1994 Cannondale M300

Purchased At:   Open Road Cyclist, Jacksonville,FL

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Top Peak Explorer rack, Lights fore and aft, Bottle cage.