Bruce Gordon Cycles 2001 BLT (Basic Loaded Touring) Older Touring Bike

Submitted by MikeMAdams a Recreational Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    The gearing ratios are well designed for loaded touring. I rode with someone who had bought a similarly priced Cannondale 2000 for our trip, and he found that he had to change his front gearing to more or less match what came with my BLT. After that he experienced getting into certain rear gears. Great racks and panniers, and the frame acommodates larger tires if you want. The slightly larger touring tires that came with the bike allow a comfortable, stable ride, and you don't have to be overly concerned with the road conditions. Braking was excellent, and I grew to like the barcon shifters.

Bottom Line:
I strongly recommend this bike for individuals who want to do loaded touring. It is very well designed, with careful thought given to all the details that become so importantant on the road miles from the nearest bike shop. The craftsmanship is excellent. It allowed me to enjoy my tour without dealing with mechanical failures.

Similar Products Used:   First tour in 20 years, so my references are a little out of date!

Bike Setup:   Frame Size: 52cm.
I used panniers from his supplier and his racks.
Tubing: 4130 cromo tubes made to our design for loaded touring
Fork: Tange made (except 54)
Parts Group: Shimano Deore LX 9 Speed