Cannondale 1999 T700 Older Touring Bike

4.06/5 (16 Reviews)

1999 Cannondale T700, touring, Touring Mix components, Cannondale fork

Submitted by ian holding a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2011

Strengths:    The frame- rigid and robust with plenty of brazings for bottle cages, fenders and Carriers. The plastic cable guides are rubbish though. Frame is incredibly light for its strength- 1650g on my (verified) scales. The forks are heavy (960g)and
have been replaced by carbon ones.

Weaknesses:    The fact that the only original bit still left on my frame is the rear carrier tells a story. While it was servicable straight out of the box the components were clearly of poor quality to reach a price point. There were some good/ robust components like the LX chainset and rear derailler but so much was way too heavy for my taste/needs.The unbranded alloy handlebars were 400g, the seat heavy and uncomfortable wheels were of poor quality despite the weight. Brakes squeal, fixed by replacing with Kore cantilevers. Actually I liked the brake squeal- great for politely warning others of my presence.The gear ratios were ok in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I love the frame-its the start point for a fantastic do it all bike.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill

Purchased At:   Can't recall!

Similar Products Used:   Handbuilt 531 super tourist frame by Bob Jackson of Leeds

Bike Setup:   It its present incarnation it weighs 9.3kg which includes original rear carrier, full mudguards, click-fix bracket for handlebar bag and 2 bottle cages. I am using old onza clipless pedals, KCNC bars and stem, terry liberator standard mens saddle which I find very comfortable, 28c panaracer pasela folding tyres with kevlar belt. The tyres suit me well in that they have enough volume at my weight (175lb) to be able to run them a bit softer and not suffer any harshness from the frame. If I want a bit more livliness I just add some pressure. Last couple of years I have toured with rear panniers including a 3 man tent and a folding chair(2kg) which took the luggage weight to 29lb and a total weght of 'the rig' to 50lb. This year I am planning on dispensing with the panniers and using just a saddlebag by not taking cooking equipment. The chair stays though!

Submitted by Bob Lyons a Recreational Rider from Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, plenty of braze-ons for racks, three water bottles, decent paint although it has worn through where cables rub, good tires (when I switched to anything but Conti Top Tour tires I got flats constantly, only one in four years with them).

Weaknesses:    Many original Cannondale components inferior: stem broke at the bottom weld on a training ride the week before the Tahoe Century, Coda pedal came apart at mile 85 of another century and had to finish on one foot, had to upgrade wheels and spokes to put and end to constant spoke snapping, original saddle sucked, original bottom bracket creaky and grinding after only a year, just this week left crank began wobbling on BB shaft and has begun to round out (although this may have been a reassembly problem). I've almost given up trying to fix brake squeal and I do not like the V brakes at all .. too spongy and braking distance is very shaky.

Bottom Line:
This is my first bike so can't compare it to any other brands specifically. I bought it because I'm a big guy (260) and its touring design would hold me better. I commute to work on this bike, do buddy rides on weekends and have ridden an average of 6 centuries a year on this bike since I've had it and I'm guessing I've got about 10,000 miles on it by now.

Purchased At:   The Spokesman, Santa

Bike Setup:   Basically stock. Bought pans and rack but the rack wouldn't fit the 25" frame I have and haven't looked for another. Have not done any touring more than two days yet.

Submitted by Mike Januszewski a Road Racer from Downers Grove, IL

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    Lots of mounting points. Stiff frame.

Weaknesses:    Plastic cable holders on top tube. Constant front brake squeal after numerous toe-in and other adjustments. Rims are just not good. Cheap no-name headset. Coda seat is a piece of junk. The stem - see below

Bottom Line:
I use this bike strictly as a work commuter, with over 5000 miles logged just doing that. It started out fine in its first year, but that brake squeal began right away. Then RSX began to show its worthlessness. But this year was the worst. The stem broke at the bottom of the weld between the extension and the quill while I was taking off from a red light. The jagged stem went into my right and left knees on my way down causing serious wounds. This was a Coda (original) stem. Now I know why they are called Crackendales. Bottom line: aluminum ain't steel. My next commuter is a Waterford for sure.

Favorite Ride:   MS 150

Purchased At:   Bicycle Specialties, DG IL

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Frontier, Schwinn CrissCross

Bike Setup:   Removed original RSX and Upgraded to Ultegra 9 Triple. Jandd rack, Jandd Commuter rear panniers.

Submitted by Peter Lawrie a Commuter from Prince Rupert

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet ride for short distances. Good warranty service by the Cannondale people. This is a good commuter bike, taking into account the product weaknesses.

Weaknesses:    A "fair weather" bike. The aluminum rings wear quickly if you do a lot of riding in the rain (small bits of grit). I got 3000 or so km's before replacement was needed. The original "Sun Rim" on the rear developed cracks running along the rim. Cannondal sent a "Mavis" replacement.
I use it for commuting 150 km per week without problems however, the rigid ride hurts the back on the local "century".

Bottom Line:
More thought as to component selection needed to make this a proper touring or commuting bike. Steel Rings probably worth the extra weight if you are going for long trips. I'll probably add a Reynolds 853 or Ti bike to the stable for a less harsh ride in the future.

Favorite Ride:   Under the Northern Lights

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh "Monger"

Bike Setup:   Aero Bars. Accomodates 28mm x 700 tires for "good" roads and a couple of km/hr more speed.

Submitted by Tom Gates a Commuter from Huntington Beach, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    Solid frame, plenty of braze-ons end eyelets for fenders, racks. Nice hubs. STI shifting is so much more convenient than bar-ends.

Weaknesses:    Wheel rims and brakes: squealing in front will not go away, front and rear brakes "grab", spongy-brake feeling. Rims are not smooth where joined - adds to non-linear braking. If this is what I should expect from V-brakes, give me center-pulls anyday.

Bottom Line:
This is my overall-everything bike. I commute, exercise, and socialize on this bike. The ride is so comfortable with those balloon (700x35) tires, it takes away the stiffness of the aluminum frams. I hate to have to bother putting on new wheels since the hubs are solid but the non-linear breaking and squealing are driving me nuts.

If you want the bike equivalent of a SUV car/truck, this bike is for you.

Favorite Ride:   Pacific Coast Highway