Cannondale 2000 Silk Tour 800 Older Touring Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

touring, Touring Mix components, Headshok Silk Tour, 1.0" travel fork

Submitted by Ali Imran a Recreational Rider from Halifax, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2001

Strengths:    Well made and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Nothing particular

Bottom Line:
It is a very comfortable bike,which in my opinion is the most important aspect to consider while buying a touring bicycle. I tried various other bikes including Trek 520 but found its shifters rather odd and ride quality not quite as good. The stock "granny gear" is very useful on occasions. Contrary to popular belief, I find the Aluminium frame not at all noisy. I have tackled various trails across Nova Scotia, mostly rolling to very hilly, and I have come to like this bike. The tyres are wider than other touring models and add to the comfort and stability, a great virtue on less than pristine trails and bridleways. One is in control of steering at all speeds and the bicycle tracks well. All in all a very well made bike, likely to last a very long time.

Favorite Ride:   Cabot trail, Cape Breton

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith, Halifax, canada

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Touring

Submitted by Dave Love a Recreational Rider from Va Beach, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    An amazing touring bike able to withstand the worst road conditions in the country. I bought this bike in the spring of 2001 and used it during a cross country bike ride lasting 2.5 months. The front head shocks were great for both paved and gravel roads. A large handlebar made for many interesting hand positions. The bike has room for 3 water bottle holders, which allows for enough water for even the most isolated rides.
Also, having less than step down gearing allows the rider to spin easily over any mountain. I found the Rocky Mountains to be a breeze in the Granny gear.
The tires and rims are larger than road bikes. The Continental Top touring tires that came with the bike were very dependable. I got only 1 flat in 4,000 miles!

Weaknesses:    There were No problems with the bike. The bike was an animal and never quit before I did. I am very pleased with the quality of Cannondale's touring bikes

Bottom Line:
This bike got me 4,000 miles across the country in style. It was a smooth ride but I could still cruise at a reasonable speed (15 mph). I loved riding this bike for +6 hrs every day this summer.

Purchased At:   from Cannondale direct

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   a 52cm Cannondale 2000 ST800

Submitted by dave a Recreational Rider from cleveland, oh

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    It's a Cannondale

Weaknesses:    This is a touring bike??

Bottom Line:
I burned through first one, and then a second, Cannondale tourer, and it was time to buy a new one. I always thought these bikes were sleepers as road bikes- great performers when not loaded down, very responsive, yet not as 'finicky' as true racing geometry bikes. This time I decided to go with the Headshock, since my back gets sore hitting potholes after a long ride. Esp. since Cannondale is supposedly dropping the headshock model from its 2001 touring lineup.

This bike is NOT a classic tourer, at least not like what I've experienced in the past from Cannondale. It's more akin to a stretched hybrid. The tires are wide, and the forks are set up to take the wide tires. This means it takes slight off roads in stride. In fact, the dealer told me a version of this bike, frame, and gearing is marketed in Europe as a 'touring' or long distance mountain bike.

But I miss those skinny tires, and the more agile road frame. If I want to spend time off-road, I'd just use my mountain bike.

Not to say it is bad, but it takes getting used to. I'm starting to see it as having certain strengths of its own. I will either grow to really appreciate its niche, or sell it. I had intended to sell my 91 Cannondale tourer, but am hanging on to it just in case... Ask me in a year, and I just might grow to love this.

Too bad Cannondale did not market this bike, AND a true classic road tourer.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say. (And note the same comments hold true for the other 2000 touring bikes)