Raleigh USA 1999 R300 Older Touring Bike

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

1999 Raleigh R300, touring, Shimano RSX Triple components, Raleigh fork

Submitted by Jogn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    cheap, lighter than i thought it would be, shifts decently, the seat that came with my bike is great- i don't know if it is the stock seat, the bike fits me great

Weaknesses:    it does not shift perfectly- its ok, some bolts sound loose but i cant find which ones, not too much else

Bottom Line:
I just bought this bike from someone on craigslist for a very good price of $200.
My first impressions

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Purchased At:   craigslist.com

Similar Products Used:   none- this is my first road bike

Bike Setup:   shimano sora front, back derailleurs, and gears, back rack, bell speedometer, some generic seat

Submitted by Ben Gagnon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Superb frame geometry on an absolutely bomb-proof frame. Great component group for the price. Decent wheelset. Stock handlebars were decent as well, I just have exceedingly large hands and they didn't fit. Stock Selle Stratos saddle that also seems to work with everybody but me (I sold it to a friend who loves it). Three water bottle mounts. And nice shiny green paint.

Weaknesses:    The stock pedals literally fell apart on my first long tour (I've since gone clipless). The bottom bracket started making crunching noises after a couple years of steady use. The stem looks like it should be stiff, but isn't. The stock gear configuration tops out too easily.

Bottom Line:
Of the numerous road bikes I was testing at the time, the R300 was the only one that immediately fit me as soon as I climbed on the saddle. Great geometry. I've since ridden the bike about 2,700 miles, though I've only done a couple actual tours of any length. Though when I did tour, I found that the frame easily handled a 35 lb. load without flexing or complaining one bit. The Cro-Moly fork helps the mid-sized bumps a lot too, while remaining nimble and responsive. Nice.

This is the first bike I'd ever purchased with STI shifters and I must say I'm impressed, though I occasionally have trouble dropping to the smallest chainring. The RSX crankset is stiff enough to inspire confidence, which says a lot since I'm 6'1, 195 lbs and prone to breaking lesser components. Why Shimano discontinued the STI gruppo is beyond me.

I've heard some people complain about the stock ZAC 19 wheelset, but I've been using them since day one without complaint. My R300 came with Conti Super Sport tires, but I traded for 37c Top Touring 2000s for the sand and rain performance. Also, the larger air volume of a 37c tire takes the edge off the otherwise promenent high-frequency vibrations typical in a burly frame such as the R300's.

The fact that you're on a touring-specific bike is especially evident in the stock gear setup which is really too low for any sort of fast riding. I traded up to a 50-38-28 triple combo on the crank and an 12-28 rear which encompasses and exceeds the gear range of the stock 46-36-26 front and 11-26 rear.

Despite my whining, this is an excellent bike. Every ride on it is a joy. It just FITS, darnit! The bike and I have written a couple years of stories together, which is about the best compliment I can give to anything.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere near the Quabbin Reservoir in MA

Purchased At:   Competitive Edge Ski

Bike Setup:   Stock wheels, brakes, shifters, deraileurs, stem, seatpost, crankset. Added: Ritchey BioMax Pro bars, SPD pedals, Shimano XT bottom bracket, Continental Top Touring 2000 tires, Terry Men's Liberator saddle (they work!)

Submitted by Charles a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Durable frame, bomb proof bottom bracket

Weaknesses:    the stock wheels, couldn't handle a week's load, and even though i'm too cheap to buy an upgrade, the stem is lame. e-mail if you care for my reasoning to that remark

Bottom Line:
this, and i am talking about the 1997 Raleigh R-300, bike has survived almost six years of daily riding, numerous 300+ rides, and a couple run ins with cars. maybe i got lucky and got the good one, but i still say raleigh should keep this frame in it's arsenal.

Favorite Ride:   Your Momma

Purchased At:   citgo

Similar Products Used:   noene really, rode mountain bikes before i bought this bike

Bike Setup:   this r-300 has definitly gone under some mutations over the years

Submitted by Rachel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    durability, gears, brakes

Weaknesses:    IT can be pricey. I got mine second hand the person before me paid $650.00 for it.

Bottom Line:
The bike is a good bike for teens and adults to start at the entery level. It was my first serious bike. When I do upgrade I will still use it for road hill climing practice.

Favorite Ride:   Raleigh r-300

Purchased At:   Blue Ridge cycle wor

Similar Products Used:   Trek series 1000

Submitted by RogerG a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    RSX components, especially the shifters (much better than Sora) Slightly sloped top tube frame looks a lot better than later R-300's. Paint is good.

Weaknesses:    The Alivio cantilever brakes are noisy and could be more effective. Cheap Taiwan stock stem and pedals.

Bottom Line:
Used to ride Raleighs as a kid, so bought a NOS 1997 R-300 for my wife, but ended up riding it myself as it was too big for her, (got her a 2001 R-300 instead). This is a great entry level tour/road bike, and is surprisingly fast for the price. I've put about 4,000Km. on it so far and it still feels solid.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   '80's vintage CBT frame w/mix of Record and Stronglight components, Mavic wheels. Ishiwata 022 frame with 105/RX-100 STI components, Rigida wheels

Bike Setup:   Stock 1997 except for Nitto Technomic stem and aero pedals

fixing up my first love 1999 Cannondale r300

If I get something other than a RSX shifter for my 1999 Cannondale r300 will I have trouble with my derailleurs or any other unforeseen problems? Any recommendations on a good budget shifter.Read More »