Cannondale Road Warrior 700 2002 Cruiser Bike

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by MOcwieja a Recreational Rider from Cambridge, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2003

Strengths:    Road bike performance, more comfortable position.
Matte Black ("stealth") color

Bottom Line:
As others have said, this is a road bike with a slightly more comfortable geometry. When I was shopping for bikes, I knew this was the one the minute I got on it. No awkward-feeling positions, but responsive, stiff, and fast.

I don't race, but I love long rides. If you're not in a race, this bike won't slow you down at all. The components are good, and it's built well.

Favorite Ride:   Ocean View Dr. in Wellfleet, Cape Cod

Bike Setup:   replaced the pedals with clipless

Submitted by Adam a Commuter from London, England

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, comfortable, should last well.

Weaknesses:    Umm...not light but a) this is unsurprising given the price and b) weight is less important than it's often made out to be.

Bottom Line:
This is a fine bike (and as mentioned below, a road bike not a cruiser!). The tall headtube allows for a higher handlebar position, which your back might thank you for. (Dropping and downturning the stem will still yield more of a ‘pure road bike’ position should you want it).
Pretty welding and paint and clever design are in evidence, as with other Cannondales. The baseball-bat-shaped downtube (which also has varying wall thicknesses...) and fat chainstays help to make the bike stiffer than most, while the curvy seatstays provide some give at the rear. Terrific combination of efficiency and comfort.
Also, prospective buyers might like to know that Cannondales have excellent durability (generally not always the case with aluminium frames) according to a fatigue-life test I looked at on the internet.
Wheels and tires are not the lightest but are tough and reliable. Sweet carbon fork. 105 rear mech and bottom bracket are nice. Other parts are decent.

Favorite Ride:   With the wind pushing me forwards not backwards

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Mainly stock.

Submitted by Jay18 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2002

Strengths:    Riding position
Nice mix of components
Reasonably light (supposedly 20 pounds, but my bike (size small) is closer to 22 pounds)

Weaknesses:    Choice of colors (yellow or dull black)
Choice of sizes (as with many compact frame bikes, this comes in only 4 sizes)
Brakes - Not super-terrific. I've had mine adjusted a couple of times, and would now rate them a B+ or maybe A-

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure why RBR lists this under cruisers. It's a road bike with a compact frame and hi-rise stem, and really ought to be under road bikes.

For background, I started cycling last year when I got a Trek hybrid for my 60th birthday. By the end of the season, I decided I wanted a road bike. I spent from October 01 to May of this year doing research and trying bikes. I wound up buying the first road bike I had looked at last October, i.e. the RW700.

I love this bike. It is smooth, agile, great on climbs, an excellent ride for anyone who doesn't intend to race. The riding position is slightly upright, so it's not quite as fast as some other bikes, but it's comfortable enough to ride all day. it's a good bike for someone starting out in road riding or for someone who can't take the extreme, bent-over position of many bikes. You still get the fun of road-biking without the back and neck pains.

The component set of the bike is mostly 105, good enough for nearly all riders. The price might be a few dollars more than some other bikes with similar components, but it's not out of line considering the Made-in-USA Cannondale quality.

Having recently visited the Cannondale website, it appears that this bike will have a different name for 2003. It should be easy enough to find since Cannondale will still be stressing the upright riding position. Overall, highly recommended.

Favorite Ride:   Sunday morning, out in the countryside with the local club

Purchased At:   Halter's Cycles, Mon

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000
Bianchi Brava
Lemond Tourmalet
Jamis Quest (saw one - not my size, so never got to ride one)

Bike Setup:   The bike shop swapped the original saddle for a Terry Fly before I got the bike. I'm not sure why, b

Submitted by mofuhrer a Recreational Rider from Leonia NJ, United States

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful design
Light but very stiff
Excellent wheels/tires

Weaknesses:    Expensive
Difficult to mount a lock on the top bar
Uncomfortable seat

Bottom Line:
I have been a recreational mountain biker for a long time, but wanted a bike that would be faster on the street and get me to class quicker ;)

I agree with the other reviews so far - this is definitely a good introductory road bike for mountain bikers. It's quick, easy to shift, has seriously strong tires, and is a pleasure to use.

The CAAD 4 frame is also extremely stiff while still being as light as the competition. I'm a pretty big guy, and I don't notice any flex whatsoever.

The only negative point is that I have broken the chain twice in the few weeks that I've had it, and the seat made me numb after a few hours so I substituted a plusher one.

Purchased At:   Cosmic Wheel

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000

Bike Setup:   All stock components except for the chain (just a standard replacement both times), and a generic pl

Submitted by Bruce a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent 'just right' feel.
Top notch frame.
All round ability.
Decent pace when pushing on.

Weaknesses:    Brakes a bit underwhelming
Not the last line in groupset etc

Bottom Line:
Sometimes a compromise solution actually hits the spot. This bike is a real pleasure. Light and fast enough for a real lash, comfortable enough for an all-day wander and with a sensible mix of components for value/performance. Of course it is not the cheapest, or the lightest but the quality finish (in matt black it is nicknamed the 'stealth bike') and frame design will stand up to use and abuse as you upgrade the periphery. This is a bike that will make you ride more-what better compliment.

Bruce