Cannondale Silk Warrior 900 2002 Cruiser Bike

Submitted by cride a Recreational Rider from Naperville, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight
looks great
good shifting gears
good brakes
pretty smooth and quite ride

Weaknesses:    stock saddle (painful!)
initial squeak (they fixed it)
No rear rack seat stay mounts

Bottom Line:
I really like this bike. I have a mountain bike and I wanted a road bike for an upcoming tour. I wanted light weight, comfort and speed. I think I found it in the silk warrior 900. The head shock works well, although I have to admit that even when the shock is locked out, it rides pretty well. Since I was going to be riding over mountain passes, I changed the rear cassette from the stock 12-25, to a 11-35. I also had to change the rear derailleur from the stock Ultraga to a deore XT. I also changed to tires from 25c to 28c. With the addition of a suspension seat post, I was ready for business.

This bike looks fast, and when I am on it, I feel fast. Acceleration is excellent. The gears shift flawlessly. I read a lot about the harshness of aluminum road bikes, but this bike seems pretty comfortable (could be the suspension seat post and fatter tires)

I rode this bike for about 450 miles so far and it really rides well. The bike climbs well, so I really haven't had to use the small chain ring much, or the big cogs in the back.

I initially had a problem with a squeaking noise coming from the bottom bracket and the rear derailleur. However 2 trips back the the bike shop solved that problem.

The stock seat (Sella Royal Gel) was rather painful. I realize it is a personal thing, while it looked good, it did not work for me.

I thought this bike was kind of pricey but I thought I got a great deal, especally since I made so many modifications. The guys at the bike shop were great!

Favorite Ride:   downhill, wind at my back

Price Paid:    $2000.00