Mongoose Switchback SX 2002 Cruiser Bike

Submitted by ninexapple a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable, fast, Good looking, solid, and affordable

Weaknesses:    Bike sits too low. When making a turn with the that side pedal down, The pedal jams into the floor! I skip off suddenly, and loose comtrol. I have ample air and I weight only 180 lbs. What is that all about???? Super dangerous and a MAJOR FLAW. Stock tires are not for the street. Flats every day in the rear especially. The 1.95 Hutchinsons are so soft and delicate, I would recommend them only for a GYMnasium floor, that was recently cleaned and polished. Get your self a set of Armadillos and you will be happy.

Bottom Line:
I have a 2003 model Cant beat the bike for the money or the looks.

Submitted by Skip Klauber a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    stability, easy shifting.

Weaknesses:    Bikes now seem to be very limited in colors.

Bottom Line:
Now I'm the guy who should rate bikes.

At 44, a forced retirment has me at a loss of things to do. I was getting my youngest's bike fixed when I thought, "hey why don't I get a bike!" I mean, I could not really afford one when I was growing up, and was be too busy chasing girls to have used one anyway. So, with money not being an issue, I turned to the shop's owner and queried him on which bike for me? When the word "stability" was menioned, it was all I needed to hear. I bought the SX on the spot.

Its unbelievable how much bikes have changed in the past 25 years, and it is all for the better! The bikes have better seats, feel more substantial, and have a different and better look. They also have 21 (!) gears. And you don't need to shift them in that ridiculous guessing-game method.

I can't tell you what a pleasure the bike has been. Easy to ride, indeed stable, and easy shifting (most of the times I spend in gears 8-12), have me on the vehicle an hour a day. I am one, middle aged, satisfied customer. Keep in mind that I was in decent shape when I started riding the SX, and do not know what it would be like with 25+ extra pounds.

Favorite Ride:   Mongoose SX

Purchased At:   Cooper City

Submitted by Thomas Cervenak a Recreational Rider from Detroit

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    Seems like and excellent buy for $168. Sam's club must be clearing them out or got some kind of deal. The lowest price, I saw other stores were $250. It seems very well built for the money and compared to other brands I looked at an excellent value.

Weaknesses:    Only 21 gears. I would have liked to have at least 24.

Bottom Line:
A couple of weeks ago, I was at Sam's club and they had a bunch of Mongoose Bikes on display with very competitive prices. I was looking at the Mongoose Revolution mountain bike for $96 when the Switchback Sx caught my eye. The price of $168 was lower than the other local bike and sporting goods stores.

The bike had all the features that a friend of mine recommended for Detroit's streets. Hybrid tires that can be used off and on the street. A front suspension, upright comfortable seat, and a wide range of gears. I got on it and rode around the aisle. When a salesgirl caught me, she just laughed and said she didn't see me. I was hooked, it had just the ride and control I was looking for in a bike that would I keep at the office to ride on my lunch hour. After, I bought it, I rode it around the parking lot and almost got hit twice.

Even though it is starting to get cold, I find myself riding it twice a day. On my lunch hour and for trips to one or another of our social service agency neighborhood centers. At lunchtime,I go to the park which has a dirt amphitheatre. I ride up and down the incline. I am 52 but I feel like I'm 11. A Great buy at $168. It also seems to be very well put togther and sturdy.

Favorite Ride:   Mongoose Switchback

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Similar Products Used:   This is the first confort/commuter bike like this that I have used, so truthfully, I am not the most impartial judge, especially since I am having so much fun.

Bike Setup:   Comfort leasure bike. Excellent for rough city street and going over curbs and potholes. I used to ride a 27 inch. This is much easier to ride and consequently safer.