LeMond Bicycles Poprad 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Submitted by Jack a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Strengths:    Very solid frame and (with upgraded componets)does very well.Doesn't fly down hill as fast as lighter bikes, but I can catch them on the hills. Very stable in the curves and smothes out most road sufaces.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, front fork shimmed terrible, cure was to add the Gorilla Horsehoe to the front fork which cured the problem. But still get a lot of squeal from the brakes.But they work fine.

Bottom Line:
As a Senior I wanted a comfortable bike to endure rough pavement and gravel. this bike does it all. I had the frame and fork assembled with Shimano ultegra components, which allows me to power up hills ahead of others in my class.(spinning classes help). This model is very dependable and rally comfortable to ride.

Favorite Ride:   C>A>M> (cycle across MD.)

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor-Waldorf,

Submitted by jhamilton a Recreational Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    Comfortable geometry and fairly lightweight steel frame. Powdercoat blue paint, while ugly, stays on.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat heavier than aluminum but does not rattle you as much offroad. Stickers are all peeling off. Ugly blue color looks even worse with green cylecross tires

Bottom Line:
I purchased the frame and fork and built the bike up with Campy Centaur. I purchased the bike as a backup to my roadbike, a commuter and for some cyclecross racing. It is not as fast, but much more fun to ride and more versatile than the road bike. The geometry is comfortable and the road shock is no more noticeable than the carbon fiber. The weight is noticeable, especially when throwing it on my back to jump barriers, but is comparable with other quality steel frames (w/in a pound). Based on a discussion with a friend who rides aluminum after a recent race, if you are going to do much offroad/cyclecross, get steel unless you are going to get a head or fork shock.

Favorite Ride:   Zionsville, IN hills

Purchased At:   Bikeline in Carmel,

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Schwin Sierra mountainbike. Fuji Team. Considered Airbourne titanium for $200 more, but have no remourse

Bike Setup:   Campy Centaur double with bontrager race lite wheels, Avid shorty 4, Bontrager race stem,flight gel seat.

Submitted by mrivers a Recreational Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Strengths:    Good quality steel frame made in America. Great geometry for me.

Weaknesses:    Sora, but this can be fixed down the line.

Bottom Line:
I really enjoy the feel of steel. Especially on gravel, rocky dirt paths on the canal tow path. Geometry is perfect for me, but the Lemond top tube can be long for some riders. Since I replaced the Sora with a Campy Centaur Triple, I have loved being on this bike.

Favorite Ride:   C & O Canal

Purchased At:   Spokes Etc., Vienna

Similar Products Used:   First road bike.

Bike Setup:   57cm (I'm 6'01") with Thompson Seatpost and Centaur Triple front, 9 in back. Put Continental 2000 on for roads.

Submitted by MasterBlaster a Recreational Rider from sd

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry/ Frame Material (Reynolds 853 main/ Reynolds 525 rear triangle) Nice welds.

Weaknesses:    Brakes- Avid shorty 4 doesn't do the trick for me. I have to start braking a quarter of a mile before the stop sign.
Sora Group is dependable, but heavy.

Bottom Line:
Being an ex-road racer I decided not to
part take in the ultra expensive roadbike
set up. I decided to go with a steel frame after years of worthy riding on aluminum. The most important criteria for me in decideing which frame to buy was:
A. Geometry fit/ frame material
B. Preferably made in the States
C. Component specification

A. Geometry fits me like a glove I am 6'2" and the 59 cm spec is a perfect fit for me. The frame material is Reynolds steel with a cromoly straight fork.
B. The frame is made in the USA and call me old fashioned, but I enjoy keeping Americans employed buy buying "Made in the USA".
C. The components on this bike are o.k. for Recreational riding/ occasional race. The Sora STI 8 speed group has worked flawlessly for me, but if I were to get back into racing a definate upgrade would be in order to make the Poprad a worthy competitor.

The only changes I have made to this bike since initial purchase are 105 hubs with Mavic CXP 23 rims and the seat. Other than that the bike is a smooth ride as well as built like a tank and will hold up to years of pleasant riding.

The value rating is for the frame fit and material used.

Overall rating of the Poprad would have received a 5, but for the brakes only makes it a 4.

Favorite Ride:   Any sunny day