Performance R-102 Road 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Submitted by hwttdz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Strengths:    I like the geometry, a little rough ride and the frame does flex a little accelerating, price

Weaknesses:    Tiagra groupset, ghost shifting, not a good price if you're riding a lot

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for someone who doesn't log a lot of miles or very hard miles. After far too much abuse the tiagra shifters finally died. I replaced them with the expensive ultegra ones hoping they last a good long time. It's not a super light bike but if you've got the power it can move. I haven't experienced any wobble due to a poorly aligned fork. It rattles a good bit on rough roads but flexes on accelerations. My front hub also got very, very rough after a while, it was generating a lot of internal resistance. Because of parts I've had to replace I wish I had just started out with a bike that was better able to take hard training. I've spent more than I would have on a nicer bike in the first place. It's a solid bike but doesn't top any categories.

Favorite Ride:   washington and old dominion

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Leader 735r

Bike Setup:   Stock excepting nashbar handlebars, profile tape, ultegra shifters, performance pedals, carbon comp tires

Submitted by Frank Novak a Recreational Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    Proce, Good entry level component group (Tiagra).
9 Speed Cassette.
Kevlar tires and SPD pedals are included.

Weaknesses:    No Carbon Fork makes for a rougher ride.

Bottom Line:
I've started road bicycling after many years of mountain biking. I was looking for a good quality bicycle for fitness, commutiing and occasional races.

I recommend it for someone who is a novice racer or someone wanting to get into serious road biking.

Favorite Ride:   101 from S.D. to Carlsbad