Van Dessel Sports Country Road Bob 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Submitted by Joe Saling a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I am a firm believer in riding a fixed in the period between seasons. My Bob fills the bill perfectly. I have put a single freewheel on and used is as a spare bike in cyclo-cross events. Good, comfortable ride without any energy wasting flex. A winner!

Submitted by oldskoolboarder a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Strengths:    Simple, no fuss, no muss.

Weaknesses:    Slightly on the heavy side. Would like another water bottle mount, though the frame probably wasn't meant for long rides.

Bottom Line:
Never considered a singlespeed until a friend let me borrow his CRB. I was about to buy a new bike, deciding between a Trek 2200 or Klein Aura X. Then a friend let me borrow his CRB. Though it was a little big, it was a BLAST to ride. It was surprisingly fast.

There is something to be said about the simplicity of no gears. Very fun ride, have already gotten the "Cool frame!" comments. Be prepared for the feedback, good and bad.

This bike in no way replaces a good road bike, but it is a fun trainer and good all around ride.

Mine came w/ bullhorns and v brake levers. The bullhorns are cool, similar in feel to road bars, but a little more comfortable for me. Changing to track levers so I don't have to change hand positions to stop.

Favorite Ride:   Stanford Loop

Purchased At:   MTB Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   1994 Stumpjumper, 2003 Giant OCR3, 2002 IF Planet X

Bike Setup:   Kore aluminum seatpost, Tektro V-brakes, Salsa seatpost clamp, Shimano STX crank w/ 36T chainwheel and a 18T freewheel, Shimano alivio hubs and Araya rims, Van Dessel Carbon fork, Ithys Gove seat, bullhorns, track levers

Submitted by bacoes a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    Ride, horizontal dropouts, canti-bosses

Weaknesses:    color, toe overlap

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the frame and fork to build up a bad weather commuter with a nexus 7 hub. The frame feels somewhat heavy in the rear which was even worse with a heavy internal geared hub. Finally I switched to a re-axled track hub and added another fixed gear the the fleet. For an aluminum frame, the ride is great. The ride is smoother than my Pista's 520 steel frame. My only complaints are the color and the amount of toe overlap. I'm 5'11" and mine is a 53cm so it's kinda inevitable. Great buy.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Pista

Bike Setup:   Fixed gear (44-16), moustache bars

Submitted by Joe a Commuter from spokane

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth - strong - ridged - makes roadies feel weak when I pass them

Weaknesses:    Brakes squeak like a mouse on speed no matter how often I adjust them - cheap parts, but hey, it was a cheap buy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing - I put about 120 miles a week on it commuting to work. Its always ready - no shifting issues - just pedal and go - I have done a 60 mile road ride and 20 mile mountain ride on this bike in the same week - 44X16 is a little tall for the dirt, but it works. Can't wait till fall to race cross on it.

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   litespeed owl hollow HT, FSR Big Hit, KHS cruiser, cannondale tandem, unicycle, specialzed cirrus, and a couple others

Bike Setup:   stock (except for seat and post)

Submitted by Dwight Hatcher a Road Racer from Cornwall, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Strengths:    Great ride; great geometry; nice frame and fork; great Ritchey Biomax bar and stem. Cool tubes (if you like them) -- even better live than in the pix. My spouse likes the color so I was able to add fourth bike to the stable. –

Weaknesses:    Cheap parts: brake levers, seatpost, seat, and rims, but worth upgrading and not too expensive to replace immediately.

Bottom Line:
Great ride -- perfect geometry for me (53cm frame). Alu frame and carbon fork combine best of both for stiff yet forgiving ride. The singlespeed thing is a real trip even here in the hills of northwestern Connecticut. Very different experience that leaves me (sort of) wondering what the other 26 speeds are for. Gotta love (or hate) the styling curved top and down tubes. All in, a great piece of work (some cheapo parts spoil the overall effect but upgrades are worth it).8

Favorite Ride:   Most all of them

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Serotta Csi (w/ full DA, etc.); Bianchi 'Cross (w/ full Ultegra, etc.); Trek 8000 mtb

Bike Setup:   Alu frame (53cm) and carbon fork; Avid Shorty 6 cantis (use front only); Shimano brake levers; Thoms

Parts from my Country Road Bob....feeler

My beloved Van Dessel Country Road Bob frame is being replaced with a Van Dessel WTF. The frame had a crack starting at one of the EBB bolts thru the bracket that is welded to the frame. The frame is under warranty, so Van Dessel is replacing it with their new WTF. As a result, I will have some e ... Read More »

New Country Road Bob

Here are some pictures of my new Van Dessel CRB. I'm running it as a SS instead of fixie because I like to coast. Bike is 22.3 lbs as shown. I upgraded the seat and post and threw on some 28C Cont Ultra Gatorskins. The frame/fork has room for 45C, so it can be used as a road or a cross bike. I' ... Read More »

Van Dessel Country Road Bob Opinions

There's one for sale online for pretty cheap and I've been considering getting a SS for cross as a race bike and also a pit bike. I've never seen one at the races, does anyone have any feedback on this bike? Thanks.Read More »

Steamroller Vs. Country Road Bob

I know that Surly almost has a cult following, but the new CRB looks good to me for $699.00. I have a Steamroller on order but am having 2nd thoughts. QBP can't get me a rear hub!!! Please tell me why I should stay with the Steamroller. Also, what is 7005 alloy, the CRB frame material. LewRead More »

Country Road Bob

Hi, I have caught the fixie virus and want to build up a 2003 Country Road Bob. Well, so far it is in storage while I am halfway around the world. But I would like to start shopping for parts. Here are two questions I have (Van Dessel never responded to my emails), it would be great if somebody c ... Read More »