Bianchi Boardwalk 2002 Hybrid Bike

Submitted by Joshuathomas6957 a Recreational Rider from Little Canada, Mn, USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    Extreamly light- Little extras make it even lighter.
Great parts- Shimanno and SRM.
Very fast- I had no problem kepping up and passing most of the road bike riders.
Great Name- I will ride Bianchi for the rest of my riding days. Great parts Great price. Great look.

Weaknesses:    The handelbars are lower than normal hybrids, but since this is my first bike I got used to it right away. The Guy at the bike shop told me I should try and get used to them for a year before I switch them out for higher ones.
Grips- The grips are not the best. Basic foam pads acually slide off a little too easily.
I agree with the other guy that the gold color is not at all attractive. My friend wanted to get the same bike after trying mine. I told him only if he gets the gold color. I have the Black, Or Matte Ti i think they call it.
Pedals- Pedals with the baskets did nothing for me. Switched them out for clipless pedals right away.

Bottom Line:
This is the first bike I have owned since I was 12. Now at 22, My dad has picked up the sport of biking. He has a Bianchi Avenue and loves it. He talked me into getting a nice bike so we could go for long bike rides. I had no clue he was talking about 100 mi Ironman rides & 150mi MS rides. I of course had to get the bike that was a step up from what me dad has, thats how i ended up with the Boardwalk. This bike made me look like I had been doing this my whole life. Practally rode itself.

Favorite Ride:   Ironman 100mi

Purchased At:   County Cycle, Rosevi

Similar Products Used:   11 year old sisters bike from Wal-Mart.

Bike Setup:   just your basic accesories.

Submitted by johncsun a Recreational Rider from Philly, PA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    Light and nimble for a hybrid.
SRAM parts work well, and are convenient.
Upright position and bigger tires are safer for commuting and gravel/dirt riding when compared to my road bikes.
Very reasonable price. Compared more than 10 hybrids in this price range. Bianchi had best components and ride quality.
Matte Fake Ti color gives it a "citified" ugly look.

Weaknesses:    Obviously, not as fast as a true road bike, but was never meant to be a "road bike."
Gold dust color is nasty.
Stock handlebar and grips need replacement, as does the saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great all-around bike.
I used to ride 150-200 miles per week in Boston, but Philly has many unpaved bike paths. I couldn't take my road bikes on these trails, so I bought the Boardwalk. I like Bianchi bikes overall (I own an Eros).
Bike is surprisingly nimble and fast for a hybrid bike. The upright position is more stable for gravel paths. I also use it for commuting to work.
SRAM parts are new to me, but work intuitively.

Highly recommend dealer, Bike Therapy. Great customer service. Makes you feel good paying list price

Favorite Ride:   Any time I get out to ride