Gary Fisher Utopia 2002 Hybrid Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by JCAR a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    Components,Speed,ease of operation,dependability, Light weight

Weaknesses:    saddle

Bottom Line:
This was my first non-department store bicycle so it is head and shoulders above anything I have ever owned. The bike has been nothing but a pleasure to ride,it's smooth shifting,speed and quietness keep me wanting to ride. The bike also handles and brakes very well. I feel the component package on this bike is of descent quality for this price range. The Bontrager 700c wheels are strong, light weight and look pretty wild,(with the paired spoke technology). The fork does take just enough of the impact of small bumps to not drain every ounce of energy out of you.The saddle was a little uncomfortable and was recently upgraded.In addition to the saddle I also added a Cateye computer and some bar ends. This bike was one of my best purchases and I am sure I will enjoy for years to come.

Favorite Ride:   Gary Fisher Utopia

Purchased At:   Prestige Cycle

Bike Setup:   basically stock

Submitted by Stuart Hall a Recreational Rider from Vancouver, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good components and quality for the price. A "do anything" attitude.

Weaknesses:    My saddle makes me numb instantly, so it will be replaced. My wife will probably upgrade, also.

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my wife, and I bought a 2001 model for myself. Seemed to be the best balance between quality and price, and a good, versatile performer for casual riders like us.

Favorite Ride:   Wherever

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Schwinn hybrid.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for luggage rack and bar ends.

Submitted by Mike a Recreational Rider from Sacramento CA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    light and strong, really takes dirt road punishment well. Fast on the pavement although the front shock is a killer on a long climb.

Weaknesses:    Very poor (sore) saddle was replaced quickly.

Bottom Line:
A lot of bang for the buck. Fun to ride off pavement. My other bike is a Trek 5200. Big differance in vibrations in the seat, with a long ride on the Utopia taking a larger toll on the tail end

Favorite Ride:   foothills roads in the spring

Purchased At:   Pacific Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Trek 7700FX, 7500FX, 7700, 7500.

Bike Setup:   Added Terry Fly saddle and SPD pedals