Specialized Sirrus A1 2002 Hybrid Bike

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, fast, responsive, shifts well (esp considering it's a triple) brakes well

Weaknesses:    Ended up changing out flat bars for drops. I really use the bike as a road bike with some light commuting. Also I feel like for $1350 the components could have been at least one grade better.

Bottom Line:
2009 Specialized Sirrus Elite. This was my first bike since I was a kid. I ended up swapping out the flat bars for drops which increased my average speed quite a bit. I have been very happy with the bike and have not experienced any issues with it. It now has about 600 miles on it. The shifts are good, the brakes are grippy (sometimes noisy but that's 'cause I'm 230 lbs) and the wheels have stayed true. I'm truly surprised how smooth it is, no doubt the carbon fiber fork and seat stays help as do the zertz inserts. All in all a great bike that I would recommend to any casual cyclist.

Favorite Ride:   20 milers out in the country when the sun is shining

Purchased At:   Mountain Sports - Br

Similar Products Used:   Closest thing would be a Mongoose dual suspension mountain bike.

Bike Setup:   Drop bars with Shimano tiagra shifters, rear rack, carbon fiber seatpost with zertz insert

Submitted by a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    Relatively inexpensive, tires slightly wider then road tires so potholes are smoother, fast, upright positioning gives you easier viewing through traffic, white frame is good for night riding, comfort seat and grips.

Weaknesses:    Slight vibration because of the aluminum frame, components require a second of holding your thumb down for a smooth gear shift.

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike. I bought it to commute to work with and it's just perfect for that. It's comfortable and light enough to really notice the speed difference from a standard mountain bike. Mine weighs about 24 pounds with a seat pouch, water cage, clipless pedals and bell.

Favorite Ride:   Commute to work

Purchased At:   ABC in Albuquerque

Similar Products Used:   GIANT hard tail mountain bike with slicks.

Bike Setup:   Stock set up.

Submitted by max_man a Recreational Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Strengths:    Great shifting, great brakes, nice riding position.

Weaknesses:    As close as this bike is to a road bike, the suspension seat post is mostly an annoyance. I haven't gotten around to trading it out. The tires seem a bit susceptible to flats, but they are thin tires. Maybe I should try better tubes.

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've bought so far as an adult, however also the most money I've spend on one. Very satisfied.

I have a cheaper bike I use for commuting. I use this bike for long, fun and maybe fast weekend rides. After riding hybrids that are 200 dollars cheaper with wider tires and heavier frames this bike seems to fly. Of course, I have to admit, I'm also not loading it down with my commuter panniers. I take it out for a ride 2 or 3 weekends a month. I ride between 40 and 60 miles. I weigh 220 lbs.

I love the shifting. Haven't had a problem with it at all as on past bikes. Brakes are great. Well defined contact and none of the sponginess I've felt in the brakes of other bikes.

Really no problems so far. I can't comment on the tire problems others have mentioned. I crashed the bike a few months after I got it. I went up a driveway cut to exit the street at the wrong angle without out recognizing the limitations of the smaller tires. I was probably going between 15-20 mph and I went over the front handle bars. I ended up bending the rear wheel. My LBS graciously fixed it for free under warranty. There was no damage to the cassete. The rear wheel is definitely not the same as before, but it works fine. I don't see any performance issues at my level of riding. I can easily cruise at 18-20 mph on flat ground.

This one's a keeper. I've been riding bikes as an adult for 2 years now. As I begin to appreciate a good road bike more, this will probably become my commuter bike in the future and I will buy a true road bike. My current commuter bike will be relagated to winter snow riding or it might be traded in for a mtn bike.

Favorite Ride:   anything nice long and flat w/ a few hills, few stops

Purchased At:   Spokes Etc, Alexandr

Similar Products Used:   I can't remember the model number, but I test rode one of Trek's hybrids in the same price range with the more roadlike tires, lighter frame setup etc.

Bike Setup:   Got pedals with cages and straps. Attached lock, Axiom 8.0C cyclocommputer and water bottle cages.

Submitted by jacobxray a Commuter from UK

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    price. nice smooth ride. not too wallowy as suspension smooths out the pot holes, but it doesn't handle like a boat.

Weaknesses:    that back wheel doesn't seam to be an isolated problem. changed mine for something else when it broke.

Bottom Line:
this was my first bike in about 5 years. i love it. gears seamed slightly out of line to start with but rode in. same problem as a few people with rear wheel. buckled after 4 months. but still can't complain, i give it a lot of stick everyday. you might not look the part but i am happy enough taking out for pretty long rides. after riding mountain bikes on the road for a few years, it was a relief to ride a bike designed for the job in hand. might get a road bike if i continue to enjoy cycling, but would always keep this for commuting.

Purchased At:   JE JAMES

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   as from the shop. saddle was fine for me. added big stupid mud guards as well, they are pretty geeky, but can't arrive at work in a state.

Submitted by turp a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    The frame geometry. The Cool Silver and black colors.The grips. The components work and shift well considering the price.Price.

Weaknesses:    Needs a 52 tooth chain ring.

Bottom Line:
This bike seems to be more of a road bike that a hybrid. I like the riding position and handling of the flat bar road bikes. I tried true road bikes, they just didn't click with me. I ride in the city and the upright position is better for vision and the wide bar give me great control. The Sirrus has excellent geometry and I love the way this bike rides and handles. I ride about 30-50 miles a week. I also tried the Trek 7500fx(nice), 7700fx(nice), and the Cannondale Silk Adv. 400(great frame, terrible comp.)
The Sirrus fit me better and the price & frame make it worth up grading components.

Favorite Ride:   Road & Path

Purchased At:   Franklin Street Cycl

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7500fx(nice), 7700fx(nice), and the Cannondale Silk Adv. 400(great frame & fork, smooth ride, terrible components.)

Bike Setup:   Just added bar ends. I plan to upgrade this bike to 27 speed and road cranks.