Trek 7300 2002 Hybrid Bike

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by David a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    I like everything about it really, but I don't like the front shocks, when I get off the seat climbing a hill or bridge it bounces.

Weaknesses:    Shifting wasn't great in the beginning but then I switched bike shops and they fixed it right up, the other shop (not Bike America, they're great but I've moved to a small town now) was pretty lame at tune ups and charged twice the price, these new guys are pros. So I can't really put the problem on the bike, it was the mechanic.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I had gotten ginormous sitting at a computer 15 hours a day for the last 15 years. I needed the excersise and I needed a bike that that hold my tonnage. This bike is awesome for that. I have lost 140 lbs. I use it to excercise and to commute now. Riding 30 miles a day. I'm at the point now that I am getting a road bike (Cannondale Synapse Carbon Apex 6) but I'm keeping this one for commuting, the roads here suck and this bike will take anything. I've actually done a 30 mile ride and averaged 15 miles an hour on it with the 35mm tires. This bike will fly on the road and take the trails like a champ.

Favorite Ride:   Fred Gannon State Park

Purchased At:   Bike America in Cora

Similar Products Used:   Back before I got fat I had a Trek FX. it was great too, but I wasn't into biking so much then, just recreational.

Submitted by Bill Walsh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    If you spend more than 2 hours on the bike you will want multiple hand positions. I had the bar extenders and still wanted an areo bar at times just to vary positions.

Weaknesses:    I do not believe I can mount my areo bar to the curved handlebar. The curved handle bar sort of prevents secure mounting for a headlight.

Bottom Line:
Purchased back in the mid '90's. Never rode more than 1,000 miles until recently. I took my recumbent and this bike across Virgina. With the Trek 730 I could never have made it over the Appalachins. It is a great bike.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Terry Liberator saddle, campus pedals (platform on one side and SPD on the other). Rack in the back with a Transit trunk bag attached. Planet Bike fenders. Remember, I ride in all weather. Original tires still in great shape after 3000 miles.

Submitted by CDE a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth, quick response, large 700 wheels, front suspension is lockable.

Weaknesses:    Seat, handlebars, and pedals. Kind of weak for unpaved trail use.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding a Myiata Elevation outfitted for trail riding for 15 years, The Trek really caught my eye due to it's geometry so I gave it a try.

Bike handles very nicely and has quick response shifting. It took a little getting used to since the ride is different from my Myiata hybrid, but so far my only complaints are the handlebars, seat, and pedals.

I plan to replace the handlebars with a straight "T" like I have on my Myiata to give it more of a "Fitness Bike" feel. The seat has to go and does the pedals.

If I had the extra at the time I probably would of bought the Trek 7.2 FX instead.

Favorite Ride:   Constitution Trail

Purchased At:   Vitesse in Normal, I

Bike Setup:   Wheels: Alloy front, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Bontrager Camino rims. Crank:Bontrager Sport 48/38/28 w/chainguard. Rear Derailleur:SRAM X.7

Submitted by Robert F Bachman Jr a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    Aluminum frame,paint(blue/silver),shocks, big brake pads,lightweight

Weaknesses:    noisy shifts, pedals, Bontrager seat(very stiff even with springs in it)

Bottom Line:
Mostly Bontrager and Shimano components on my model. Ditched the Bontrager seat immediately for a Trek gel I got on ebay for $21 new(excellent). Also added extensions on the bars and changed out the pedals for light but strong titanium. Also have a Trek rack for medium size bag with panniers($550 with the upgrades). Bike is easy to put in my pickup, less than 25lbs. Shifting a bit noisy but accurate. Ride is very smooth with the fork and seat post shocks. I have no problem getting up to speed in traffic and turning is quick but not as sharp as a true roadie(never liked road handlebars). I think the 300mmx35C tires impead this. Spending 40-50 miles on this baby is a pleasure. I usually get in about 150 miles /wk for a good workout.

Favorite Ride:   all local roads(CT roads stink)

Purchased At:   Country Sports, Cant

Similar Products Used:   Trek 730 from 10yrs ago(cro-moly frame)

Bike Setup:   typical lower value componants at this price level.

Submitted by Gina a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Value for money, comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur shifting

Bottom Line:
As a beginner, averaging about 50 miles per week, I bought this bike to ride for recreation and fitness along the local paved bike trail. As others have noted, this is great bike for the money. The bike is light enough for me to lift and put in the back of my Subaru. The ride is comfortable, due to shocks, steering forgiving. Unlike others, I have noted shifting to be a bit sticky, but overall okay. I added a Trek rear rack and it is more than sufficient to pack spare tubes, jackets etc.

Favorite Ride:   Perkiomen Trail