BikeE RX 2002 Recumbent Bike

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Brian Beck a Recreational Rider from Huntsville OH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    This bike seems to give you strange powers of endurance!!! I can ride and ride and ride on this baby, and where my other bike would crap out on me, this one keeps me going!! (You stay insanely comfortable in the lawn chair-ish seat, and are in a wonderful position to break the wind) After about 20 miles in my other "nonbent" my crotch is on fire and I can't walk for three days. Not so with the Bike E RX!

Weaknesses:    A little pricey for some, but still totally worth every penny. The SRAM 7.0 components are of excellent quality, though required some adjustment of my own accord. The brake power is good but not great, i.e. "You can avoid running over children playing in the road" At this price level disc brakes would have been nice.

Bottom Line:
Simply an awesome recumbent, and when you look at what you are getting, the price is NOT BAD at all! Rock solid construction, great components, comfort, easy adjustment, and general quality are more than you'd expect!!!

Favorite Ride:   country roads

Purchased At:   Pedal Power Bike Sho

Similar Products Used:   Examined the lower end bike E models, but this one is by far the best in this writers opinion. I even looked at some similarly priced Burley models, but they are of inferior design, *opinion!* and the

Bike Setup:   stock, except for my trusty Sigma Sport BC800 computer. I have ridden 450+ km over the summer so far

Submitted by zookarama a Recreational Rider from St Anne, IL

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    comfort, rigidity, stability, ease of adjustment

Weaknesses:    price, no USS available, not as fast as some others

Bottom Line:
I surprised myself by buying the RX- I went to the bike shop with a Vision R50 or Bachetta or Burley in mind, but after a series of long trial rides on many bents, the comfort and stability of the RX sucked me in. Quick adjustments, high build quality, and above all, comfort made the choice easier than I thought it would be. I pull a baby trailer with no problem. The bike can be adjusted to fit me (6'2", 215#) or my wife (5'1", 110) in less than 5 minutes.

Favorite Ride:   through the woods

Purchased At:   rapidtransit cycles,

Similar Products Used:   Rans Rocket, Burley Django, Bachetta Giro,

Submitted by ScottJL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Strengths:    Comfort

Flexible gear hauling options

Good looks

Weaknesses:    Not terribly fast

Not cheap

Limited 16" tire choices

Bottom Line:
The more I ride the RX, the more I want to ride. It's comfortable, stable, solid and just plain fun. Elitists and snobs may scoff at it..."How dare BikeE sell our 'special' bikes to the common man. The horror!"

It doesn't bother me in the least ;)

Purchased At:   Atlantic Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   ...first recumbent. I chose it over a Rans Stratus after two extended test rides.

Bike Setup:   XL frame

Rear suspension only

Not quite ready for clipless

Submitted by BentJay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    Built like a rock; low maintainence, comfortable Sweet Seat, cruise all day. On flats, I keep up with the wedgies; downhill I'm faster than the tandems!

Weaknesses:    It's medium heavy, therefore I'm slow going uphill in the granny gear. Seat back frame needed repair but, didn't stop me from riding.

Bottom Line:
Bullet-proof, low-maintainence, high comfort. I've put over 2,000 miles on the beast since I got it...I've never done that kind of mileage on any wedgie. On GOBA, a 360 mile tour in Ohio, I didn't walk one hill, and I arrived with no pain, strain, or migraine. Yes, it's not the fastest bent but, it's overbuilt and very low maintainence...I haven't had a flat yet, for example. On the advice of Bob Bryant at RCN I went for the xl frame size. It's worth the extra $$$. BTW, prices seem to be soft; shop around for the best price.

Favorite Ride:   Along the Chagrin River

Purchased At:   RecumbentBikeRiders

Similar Products Used:   I'll be taking delivery of a 2002 Bikee E2 tandem in March,'02 so, you can see I'm a believer! I briefly owned a swb, uss bent that scared me going downhill. The Bikee can easily handle 40 mph.

Bike Setup:   Standard rear suspension. I use the soft frame pack available from Ron Hilliard instead of the Bike

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!