Burley Design Cooperative HepCat 2002 Recumbent Bike

Submitted by Bill Cook a Commuter from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Strengths:    The most amazing thing about the Hepcat is the speed and transfer of pedal power to the rear wheel. The boom is oh so rigid. You put power to the pedals and you can feel the rear wheel spin in direct proportion to your input. This bent is as fast as an upright racing bike in my opinion.

Weaknesses:    The Primo Comet tires for wet riding. I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathons. Now the Hepcat is great in the dry and the wet.
The Corbin seat locking system. It wouldn't stay locked in position.Thanks to the previous reviewer, I too replaced the roller pins with bolts and have had no problems since. p

Bottom Line:
The Burley Hepcat is a great bent, for both commuting and bike trail riding. I have the Sm/Md frame size and am 5'4". It fits me well and is very comfortable. While it's a hardtail, the frame and the seat do a good job in smoothing out the smaller bumps.
The seat is wonderful once adjusted to your riding style and locked down.
It's easy to ride, very fast, and is wonderful as a commuter because of it's quick reflexes. Plus the handlebar pivots upward for stopping at corners and sitting up to view the traffic. And just riding on trails is a joy.
The fit and finish are top notch, as are the components, except the tires.
And Burley made a rack adapter and a kickstand adapter. I have both and they work wonderfully. Carrying loads in my panniers seems to have no effect on the great handling of the Hepcat, nor much affect on the speed.
This a great all around commuter and pleasure bent. And it looks so good.
It's a great bent to have in your stable, but if you can only afford one, go with the HP Velotechnik Streetmachine, the best all arounder, in my opinion.
Saying that, I own both and have no intention of selling my Hepcat. It's faster and equally adept. It just not suspended. So not as comfortable and it can't carry as large a load. But it's so fast. And such a trick commuter.a

Favorite Ride:   Greenway and connecting trails

Purchased At:   Calhoun Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Blackbent USS SWB
HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GT USS SWB
HP Velotechnik Speedmachine OSS S/MWB

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. Added the rack adapter and kickstand adapter.
Have Bebop pedals and Schwalbe Marathon tires.
I am also changing the Shimano deore brakes to Avid SD-7s.
Plus lights, flashers, mirrors, reflective tape for commuting.

Submitted by Bruce Gerner a Recreational Rider from Portage, Wi.

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good components, great looks, climbs well and stable on fast decents. Great customer support.

Weaknesses:    The seat was a problem. Although the seat has good adjustibilty the seat bottom would not stay adjusted. I contacted Burley and had a answer the next day with a upgrade kit delivered to my house in 3 days. The bottom is adjusted with 2 bolts and 2 roll pins and the upgrade kit only came with lockwashers added to the original design. I have decided to take out the roll pins and use 4 bolts instead. Works great.

Bottom Line:
This Hepcat is a 2001 model, but I listed it in the 2002 because there is no place to post a 2001 review.
What a awesome ride. Looks great and is fast. Soon after I got this recumbent I took it out to the "KILLER" hill in the area and compared it to my Trek 5200 and my wifes Trek R200 recumbent. The Hepcat performed somewhere in between. I made it up the hill on the 5200 and Hepcat, but the R200 stalled out. Better yet the downhill was fast. I've been on recumbents only a couple months and expect the hepcat to come in very close to the 5200 after I get my recumbent legs in shape. The Hepcat has good components, shifts smooth and comfortable. It is almost impossible to not find a comfortable adjustment for the steering. I also would like to recommend Wheel and Sprocket Hales Corners Wi. for a excellent setup. They put on 3 water bottle cages, tubes for both tires, mirror, and other small gadgets.

Favorite Ride:   Fox Glen Road(Cascade Mtn.)

Purchased At:   Wheel and Sprocket H