Rotator Bicycles Tiger 2002 Recumbent Bike

Submitted by Phil Rysdon a Recreational Rider from Sioux Falls, South Dakota USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    64 gears gets me up hills really well and are pretty quiet. the chain set is different than most others and works just fine. The seat is super comfortable and easy to adjust. I really like the handlebars that are curved downward and easy on the arms. The weight is about 31 pounds, but I couldn't afford the titanium frame.

Weaknesses:    Low seating requires getting used to. Had a few tipovers in my early education and if you make a mistake on this SWB you are in trouble quickly. Since you are lower than most on the 20" wheels, you really need a good wide-vision mirror. Like other recumbents, fenders would be a good option in inclement weather.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 2002 Rotator Tiger that was reviewed in Recumbent and Tandem Magazine last Fall. I also test drove a prototype Tiger at the Santa Rosa Rotator Company. I received it in November (I live in South Dakota) and had my first ride on January 1, 2002 in 13 degree weather on an annual group ride. Struggled with starts and stops on inclines and fell into a couple of snowdrifts, but it rode very well. Took the Tiger to Florida for a month and zowie! This hummer is fast and comfortable. My longest rides were about 30 miles and I rode it for about 130 miles total. I could have ridden longer, but Florida is sometimes not bike friendly. I was getting to 22 mph in 3 block wind sprints. However, where ever I rode it, the chicks really were impressed. Problem is all the chicks were over 85. I just started up riding a 10 speed road bike in the spring of 2001 and it just beat me up too much. I am 64 and in excellent physical shape, but wrist, neck, and shoulder issues pushed me to a recumbent. I am getting ready for two century rides this Summer.

Favorite Ride:   City bike trail

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Rotator Recumbents,

Similar Products Used:   Not many recumbents in our area, but did try a BikeE, a european bike and a Burley Hepcat on demos.

Bike Setup:   My Tiger was set up with a tailbox, fairing, and a computer. I have since added a flag, a squeeze h