Abici Bikes XLR8R w/Dura Ace 2002 Road Bike

The Abici XLR8R. Pure Power, Speed and Elegance. Columbus Altec + Triple Butted Lightweight Alloy tubing main triangle combined with Abici Carbon Damping System to provide an unworldly cycling experience.

• Elegant , Stylish, Lightweight, Durable
  • Hand Made, Custom Painted, Tour de France Pedigree
  • Integrated Sculpted Headtube
  • Abici Carbon Integrated Fork
  • Columbus Altec 2+ Triple Butted Tubing-Custom Shaped
  • Abici Carbon Damping System(ACDS) Seatstays for a Plush Ride
  • S-Bend Double Butted Alloy Chainstays
  • Forged Dropouts with Replaceable Hanger
  • 2.5 Lbs in size medium(55)

Abici XLR8R with Dura Ace includes full Dura Ace kit, 3t Prima Bars, 3T Zepp stem, Flight Gel Saddle, Thompson Seatpost, Cinelli Cork Tape, Vredestein Tires, Velomax Circuit Comp Wheels, All The Best!

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by KC a Road Racer from Agoura Hills

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Super fast in the sprints!
    Climbs like a dream!
    Comfortable enough to put in 6 hour training rides!
    This bike has it all...and I've riden all the top Euro "pro" bikes.
    Also, the Abici website has a thing they call the Kitalator where you can build your own custom bike right online...very trick and user friendly. And buying directly from Abici saves some real $$$.

Weaknesses:    The only thing holding back this bike are your skinny legs or weak lungs :-)

Bottom Line:
    Abici has a clear winner with the new XLR8R. I've been racing this bike for a year and not only is it fast and furious, but it is also rock solid and very well built!

Favorite Ride:   Any ride that makes my lungs burst!

Purchased At:   Prices are right on

Similar Products Used:   When you look at the total package (performance, quality, styling, price) there really aren't any similar products! Call Abici and find out for yourself. Great product and great people.

Bike Setup:   2002 XLR8R with full Dura Ace group.

Submitted by Morningstar_VT a Road Racer from Winchester, VA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, lightweight, comfortable for lighter rider (160 lbs)

Weaknesses:    Geometry hard to get accustomed to at first, suffered some knee pain the first month I owned one.

Bottom Line:
    I originally owned the Abici Starship, but broke it in a crash. This was the replacement frame I got, and I am very pleased with it. A bit heavier than the Starship due to the carbon stays, but still lightweight and very, very stiff. Great for racing, this hugs the corners like an F1 machine.

Favorite Ride:   roads with hills

Bike Setup:   Full Dura-Ace w/ Zipp 303 wheels

Submitted by Ken Norland a Road Racer from Westlake Village, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, handling, appearance and comfort.

Weaknesses:    It still requires manual cleaning.

Bottom Line:
    As a Masters (55+) beginning racer, this bike has made all the difference in the world for times, comfort and handling. My riding averages about 200 miles per week, on varying terrain in Southern California. In all cases, the bike has performed excellently.

The move from an all aluminium bike has been well worth it. The carbon helps the comfort greatly. The improved geometry provides a much more responsive ride. The lighter weight has helped with speed, acceleration and just "keeping going" longer.

I'd recommend this bike for anyone who does a serious amount of riding and wants a light, great handling, all-out race bike that looks great.

I've only raced it a few times, but in all cases, the weakness has been the rider, not the bike. I've always tried to have equipment that is better than I am (forgiving of my mistakes) and this bike certainly excels in that category!

Favorite Ride:   Hidden Valley and the hills

Purchased At:   Web Site

Similar Products Used:   None nearly as good

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace
    American Classic CR 350 Wheels alternating with Zipp 303 Wheels
    Size XS

Submitted by Jim Helser a Road Racer from San Luis Obispo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very quick handling. Good exceleration and climbing. Comfortable ride. Killer paint job.

Weaknesses:    I should have gotten one earlier.

Bottom Line:
    I have been riding steel custom frames for the past 7 years. I never liked aluminum frames because they are usually a rough ride.
    I had the opportunity to ride the Abici and was very impressed. So impressed I had to get one.

Favorite Ride:   The Wall

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace.

Submitted by LKrikorian a Road Racer from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    The carbon seatstays dampen road vibration so effectively, I kept thinking I had a rear tire flat the first week I rode my new XLR8R. Also, I notice the increased stiffness when I stand up to sprint.

Weaknesses:    The Shimano Dura Ace race wheels are heavy compared to the Rolfe Sestriere wheels I had on last year's Abici Starship. And the Shimano Dura Ace groupo, although more durable than Campagnolo, just doesn't shift as crisply. I also miss the Campy ergo shifter on the inside of the brake hood.

Bottom Line:
    After ten years riding knock-offs, I finally got a true "pro bike"--not just a bike with Euro paint. Watch the Tour de France this month, and you'll see many bikes made with Columbus Altec 2 Plus tubing. The XLR8R weighs 17.5 lbs. even with rock-solid Shimano Dura Ace race wheels. Already notorious in Southern California road racing for their lightness, steering and stiffness (acceleration), Abicis are cutting edge bike technology. This 2002 Abici XLR8R outdoes their Starship, which I have also owned and raced, in two ways: (1.) the carbon seatstays provide my 44 year old back with a much smoother ride (2.) the down tube is quite wide at the bottom bracket, increasing stiffness (acceleration).

Favorite Ride:   Abici XLR8R

Purchased At:   Abici web site

Similar Products Used:   As I have written above, last year I raced on an Abici Starship, and it had the Campy Record 10 speed groupo. To get the Starship, I sold a Merlin Extralight. Before that I rode a VooDoo Rada; before

Bike Setup:   Flite gel saddle