Aegis Victory 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by PaulCL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Light, stiff, good looking and singular. Around this area, I doubt I've seen more than one or two Aegis Victory's

Bottom Line:
Update from my 2002 & 2005 reviews: Still love the bike. I haven't had a single problem with it. It still looks as good today as it did the day I bought it five years ago.
Bottom Line Question: Would I buy another Aegis Victory?? Yes, without hesitation.
How have I used it: Recreational riding at about 4000 mile/year, many trips to Colorado/Wyoming/NC to ride, and a few races and duathlons

Favorite Ride:   To Rabbit Hash KY

Purchased At:   Now closed LBS

Similar Products Used:   Colnago, Felt tri bike, Tsnami frame with Veloce, GT MTB

Bike Setup:   Campy Record/Chorus mix, Neuvation wheels, Campy pedals, Fizik Arione saddle, Two bit legs

Submitted by PaulCL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, light, and great looking. Hey...looks ARE important. Topnotch warranty from Aegis. I liked it much more than the Colnago C-40 I test rode.

Weaknesses:    My concerns with the longterm viability of CF are dissappating. I would use gator skins on the chainstays near the BB since it will scratch if your chain falls off. Mine did.

Bottom Line:
Update: The frame is actually a 56cm (typo last time) - though the labeled 56cm measures to a 58cm. The frame cracked along the toptube July '04. Aegis fixed and returned it to me at no charge within 3 weeks. Whoa!! It was a manufacturing defect. Still a very stiff, plush ride. Very, very light with my Neuvation wheels and Campy Record/Chorus components. I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 185-190lbs. Great climbing bike - heck my climbing improved.

Favorite Ride:   Any empty country road

Purchased At:   Going Mobile Cincinn

Similar Products Used:   Colnago Bititan. Diamondback Expert. Tsunami with OP/Record & Veloce (current 'rain' bike)

Bike Setup:   Aegis black bionic weave Race stock, Campy Record with Chorus shifters, Neuvation wheelset, Fizik Arione saddle. Weighs in at around 16lbs.

Submitted by Donegal a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    Handling is unbelievable. Replaceable and adjustable dropouts. Great design.

Weaknesses:    None So Far.

Bottom Line:
I Built this one from scratch. It Rocks! Totally stable at any speed, handles like a Maserati. I corner in 1/2 the space it used to take me. Total Confidence after just one ride. Had a bad wreck last year and the first time out on this bike, I was pushing corners 5-10 mph faster. No twitchiness at all. Stiff Frame accelerates like my old Cannondale. The paint job looks great. Cannot Fault anything about the package. I don't know if the great handling comes from the stiff frame or the slightly stretched out peloton fork. My other bike is a Vortex w/full Dura-Ace and it feels good, but nothing is as rock solid as the Victory. Tall head tube gives a more relaxed riding position. Would recommend to anyone who rides aggressively. Frame is sized larger than some.

Favorite Ride:   Hand picked in my area

Purchased At:   individual

Similar Products Used:   Colnago C-40, LItespeed Vortex, Cannondale Caad 3

Bike Setup:   Blueberry/Bionic Weave Paint Scheme, Ouzo Pro Peloton Fork, Full Campy Record Carbon w/Carbon Cranks (Compact) 11-23 cassette. Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC Wheels, Conti Attack/Force Tires,FSA K Wing Bars, ITM Sword Seatpost. ITM Forged Carbon Stem

Submitted by carbonracer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    An All USA Bike! Comfortable beyond belief. Still light even if its not the lightest. If you like a sharp quick handler youll like this. They changed the clamping system in 2003 and is much better.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest. but how light can you really go.

Bottom Line:
I got to test ride a Ageis r/s victory for a month. And although the test bike was a bit small. I knew this was the bike I was looking for. I was very intrested in carbon frames and road and borrowed everyone I could find. The Victory was the best with a Look 486 a close second. The first thing I liked was when I ordered the frame the company asked questions about me and my riding. Im 180 lbs sprinter type and do a lot of crits. They suggested the Race Stock with the bionic weave. I cant technicaly tell you how but this set up is a sprinters dream. I have only felt minor flex in full hard sprints and there is no loss of the comfortable carbon feel. This is the most comfortable bike I have owned or ridden. I also handles well in the corners. The NJcrit scene is full of sharp turns and attempts to avoid bad racers. The bike just complies with out pushing or getting that uncomfortable "where is the bike going feel" With frame weights dropping in any material I cant say its the lightest. But I do some climbing in upstate NY can feel the difference from other comprably priced aluminum and steel bikes. Not a fan of Ti. If your considering a carbon frame you really need to try an Aegis it is the best I found. The Victory r/s with bionic weave is a high end bike so if buget is a concern It may be out of reach but if Aegis other frames are made as well they may be an alternative.The Aegis I got was worth every penny!

Purchased At:   Halters Cycles Monmo

Similar Products Used:   Guru Racelite,Cannondale cadd 5,Guerchotti El/Os (owned)
Look 486,Look ks light,Calfee, Corima, Trek, and Giant carbon frames (tested)
Did one 1hr ride on a C40 but it wasnt enough time to comment. And tried a Weyless carbon bike but what should you expect for so little.
Guru foco and a few Serrota steel frames Loved the ride but feel steel should be left for buses and 4x4s.

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 9spd, Deda Magic stem and bar, Look carbon post and San Marco Aspide saddle. Race wheels are Zipp 340 old school! Training is Mavic open pros with Dura Ace hubs. Vedrstine fortrezza tyres I like the regular fortezzas better than the tri comp both are good but the cheeper ones last longer and ride as good.

Submitted by PaulCL a Recreational Rider from Edgewood, KY USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2003

Strengths:    stiff. plush ride. lifetime warranty. Looks great. Very, very light. And..as an added bonus..the frames are rare.

Weaknesses:    I am still concerned about the long term viability of CF.

Bottom Line:
My first CF bike coming from Ti and Steel. Very plush ride. Very comfortable. Very light with my components and wheelset. I test road several other bikes (Trek, Colnago C-40, etc) and this bike had the nicest ride.

I got the frame/fork for $1700 from my LBS. It was too good of a deal to pass by since this frame/fork lists for around $2500 plus.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere without cars

Purchased At:   Going Mobile in Cinc

Similar Products Used:   Colnago Bititan frame. Diamondback Expert steel frame.

Bike Setup:   60cm Race stock Pro with 'bionic weave' ...whatever that is. Campy Record groupo, speeddream wheels, Selle Italia gel flite saddle, Vittoria Corsa CX TT open tires, campy pro-fit pedals.

John Travolta victory salute

Didn't notice it while watching the stage live, but the still picture definately has Froome doing his "Staying Alive" victory salute.[ATTACH=CONFIG]284185[/ATTACH]Read More »

Victory claim fail

Came in a little hot there Read More »

150k is the going rate for a classics victory...

News out of the Ferrari investigation in Italy: emails between Vino and Koblonev re. the former paying the latter €150k for his victory in LBL. I would have asked for more.... [url]http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2012/11/04/cyclisme-vinokourov-aurait-achete-sa-victoire-a-liege-bastogne-liege_178 ... Read More »

Wiggins annoyed that Lance overshadows his tour victory

Holy crap what a wanker. Pays lip service to how bad the USADA file was, but then HAS to go ahead and make it about him and indirectly insinuate that we shouldn't worry about the past but focus on the future. Jackass. [url=http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012/10/11/wiggins-shocked-by-sc ... Read More »

Ride starts & ends at Victory Brewing

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Three short days away- PASA Bike Fresh Bike Local Ride- Sunday Septmber 23. Starts 7am... 25-50-75 mile route options, $45.00 day-of-ride. Still a 30% chance of rain, which I'll take as a 30% chance to commune with our inner BadAss. Any Philly folks have any experienc ... Read More »