Bianchi Campione 2002 Road Bike

4.33/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by DM.Aelis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness. Comfort. Geo, which makes cornering and everything so pleasant. Looks. Classic Italian hand-made wonder. Oh. It's beautiful.

Weaknesses:    Weight. That is it.

Bottom Line:
This was my first road bike, as I wanted to get into racing without breaking the bank. I was wary at first...old steel frame, blah blah blah, is it even race-worthy?

Pffft. It is. Don't let the gimmicks fool you. While this is certainly a heavy frame, it is stiff, great looking in solid-celeste, and the perfect frame for training/racing on a budget. The geo is super comfortable, the frame soaks up the road like no other, and I can't tell you how much of a pleasure it is to ride.

I lucked out with a great bike that does everything I need it to. When the time comes to upgrade, I'll stick with Bianchi and move to one of their more modern lighter frames (FC, FG Lite, or 928L) most likely. But for the time being, this bike is treating me well.

Right now I just need to work on the engine. I'm giving 4/5 overall, just because newer frames could offer this and more with lighter weight.

Favorite Ride:   anything in VT/NH

Keo Sprint Pedals
Full Campy Centaur
Rolf Sestriere Wheels
3T Evolution Quill Stem 100mm
Cinelli Groove handlebar = love it!

Submitted by spectre a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome frame! Mirage Ergo shifters and Veloce brakes are as good as their bigger brothers. I slowly upgraded all of the (relativley) weaker components mentioned below.

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is OK for a backup set, but I upgraded to Chorus hubs and Mavic Open Pros. Campy Mirage group is reliable and performs well, but I am very picky about crisp shifting, so I upgraded the derailleurs and cassette to Chorus. The bike is a bit heavy, so I swapped the seatpost and fork for carbon fiber. Now the bike weighs an acceptable 21 lbs.
Headset is not strong enough for comuting over rough roads. I cracked the fork crown race after < 1000 mi. Bianchi offered to replace it, but I opted to replace it with the best--Chris King.

Bottom Line:
I primarily bought this bike for the traditional geometry and its hand-made Italian steel frame. I compared tons of bikes at the $1000 level, and this one had the best ride by far.

Favorite Ride:   Any open country road

Purchased At:   Century Cycles

Similar Products Used:   My first real road bike. Tested a myriad of others including Specialized Allez, LeMonds, Giant OCRs, Trek 1000 series, etc.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Chorus hubs, derailleurs. Chris King 2-nut threaded headset. Easton EC30 carbon fork. Carbon seatpost,
Mavic Open Pro wheels with radial, bladed spokes.
Selle San Marco Concors Light saddle

Submitted by Pseudo Racer a Recreational Rider from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Looks! - It's gorgeous in traditional Celeste!
Road feel combined with responsiveness.
Bianchi has come up with a perfect balance, at a bargain price!
The traditional geometry is perfect for anything, from road racing, to commuting to centuries.
High quality frame as used on Bianchi's higher level bikes - Well worth upgrading.
This bike just seems to exude tradition & character.

Weaknesses:    True, it's not the lightest mount out there, and never could be, but that's not the reason I wanted this bike!
Although the Mirage/Veloce componentry probably actually works "better" than my old Nuovo Record, it doesn't feel quite as solid or "slick" as my old Nouvo Record stuff.

Bottom Line:
Heritage & Tradition - True Italian character combined with modern functionality.
This bike was my re-entry bike into road cycling after a 10 year hiatus.
I wanted to replace the early '80's Bianchi Nuovo Racer, with Campy Nuovo Record grouppo, that was stolen.
It had to be Bianchi, steel, Celeste, Campy, and as all-Italian as possible, but on a budget...
The Campione is near-perfect. It performs in it's intended role like the Champion it is! I especially love the fluid & responsive "feel of steel" - including the absorbant quality of the steel fork.
I feel like I could put a million miles on this bike; I hope I can last as long as the bike and Campagnolo parts!

Favorite Ride:   Hills & farmlands around Bald Peak - Feels like I'm in the Alps!

Purchased At:   Acton, Massachusetts

Similar Products Used:   1980 Bianchi Nouvo Racer with full Campy Nouvo Record grouppo.
Similar vintage Paramount with Dura Ace (borrowed from a friend for a summer).
Several late '80's / early '90's Cannondale road bikes.

Bike Setup:   After the 20 mile test ride, I immediately swapped out the saddle for a selle Italia Flite Ti saddle (In Celeste 'natch!). I put on a spare Synchros Ti seatpost that was lying around, for a bit more comfort - This will be replaced with a Chorus Ti post to keep it all-Italian.
I am planning an upgrade to full Campy Chorus grouppo, and Campy Proton wheelset - These seem to be in keeping with it's character and performance/value.
The stock wheelset will be fine for training when I want a bit more weight, with maximum durability. The stock Vittoria tires wore out before they ever got a flat - I'm now running Conti Grand Prix 3000's, and love the supple feel - Combined with the steel frame & fork, and Ti seatpost & saddle rails, it feels like having slight suspension - but very quick & responsive.

Submitted by Avi Loewenstein a Road Racer from Bloomington, Indiana

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth ride, Italian steel, campy parts, can't get any better for the price.

Weaknesses:    Terrible stock saddle (I bought a new Koobi PRS saddle), takes some breaking in, but that is expected.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike is an absolute great buy. For under $1000, there arn't many great bikes (and NONE American), but this is an exception. The ride is smooth and the steel does a good job absorbing some of the bumps in the road. The look 206 pedals are top of the line.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride that pumps the lactic acid

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Sigma computer, koobi seat, polar heart rate moitor.

Submitted by Brandon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I like the bike overall, but have some gripes with it. I have long legs and a short torso, so I had to get a shorter stem with a bit of a rise. More importantly, I've had some mechanical issues with it - the original nut and bolt that held the seatpost had to be replaced because it didn't hold, and the chain snapped after less than a thousand road miles. The campy has been nice other than that. My biggest problem has been with the headset wobbling, I've taken it to two bike shops who haven't been able to get a permanent fix, I think it will have to be replaced. When I ride, I have to hand - tighten it every few miles!

Via Nirone 7 2300 vs. Campione

Hello, Fairly new to the bike scene. Picked up a campione off of CL that was a bit too small for me. Love the bike. Dont know how to use downtube shifters but Im sure I can pick up on that.. I want the bike for exercise, hitting bike paths and generally going fast. My price range is ~$800 and ... Read More »

what would you upgrade on a 1997 Bianchi campione

Waiting on my bike so just wondering what yall think for making it light and/or better. I know it is a steel bike but I was more worried about comfort and durability. I love tinkering with things and always feel you can make something better but totaly new to cycling just wondering what yoi would ... Read More »

Campione Bike

I recently managed to get my hands on a "Campione". I've never heard of them and all Google seems to reveal is a series of bikes built by Bianche - but don't seem to match this one. Its a 6 speed, with a 127 rear spacing, Sun Race Index gears and Dia Compe VX brakes - I'm not sure if any of these ... Read More »

wheel wheels for Bianchi campione del mondo

Hi, I'm a recreational/commuter cyclist. I have an old Bianchi campione del mondo 1986-1987 colorado springs, as my main bike. It's essentially all original parts. My wheels and hubs are now shot. My cones are bad and I have a few broken spokes now. I was wondering if anyone could recommend ... Read More »

What's my 1986 1987 bianchi campione de mondo Worth please?

Hey all, Noob here... I was wondering if you could help me evaluate my 1986 1987 bianchi campione de mondo I've had for quite years and that's very gently used. I wanted to sell it and just want to make sure that I price it correctly. Thanks in advance for your input. MichaelRead More »