Bianchi Giro 2002 Road Bike

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Roger Gustafson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    Light, fast, solid, 105's hit every shift every time. STI FlightDeck is great. Wheels are strong for this big guy (6'4", 215), and never out of true. Looks great...still get lots of comments.

Bottom Line:
6 years/6000 miles and I still love everything about this ride. A former triathlete, now I do alot of long rides and I always have total confidence in getting back home without a problem. New England roads are horrible, so I added Schwalbe tires and haven't had a flat in 2 years. The low added weight is like flat insurance.
In year 2, I broke a spoke climbing a killer hill. On these wheels, this is a ride-stopper since the wheel goes so far out of round it won't turn. Now I carry a Fiber-Fix kevlar spoke repair kit just in case it ever happens again, as well as a couple of spokes taped inside my seatpost. I guess I adapted to the original seat and still prefer it to others I've tried. I love the triple for the range it gives: Fast on the flats and it can climb anything...greatly appreciated in the Adirondaks and the White Mtns.

Favorite Ride:   Gardner/Athol/Barre/Rutland 60 mile loop

Purchased At:   Gearworks

Similar Products Used:   Bought a Schwinn Tempo new many years ago for workhorse training and triathlons years ago. Upgraded it with very strong mavic wheels.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Profile Designs aero bars and Shimano pedals.

Submitted by cyclebianchi a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    The Shimano 535s are incredible! Plus they look sweet. The carbon fork gives it a fairly smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    The 105s are noisy and hard to dial in. I also have had some trouble with keeping my headset tight.

Bottom Line:
So far I have not had any problems with the bike. I love riding it! I have ridden it in several half-century rides and it performed great. Lately, most of my rides have included climbs totaling 5,000+ feet. It's a mountian goat and the decents fast and smooth.

Favorite Ride:   Giro

Purchased At:   Bike Teck

Similar Products Used:   2002 Bianchi Campion

Bike Setup:   I have changed to "Bullhorns" for my handle bars. I also added Profile Design aero bars and changed the shifters to tri-shifters on the ends. My bike came with toe clips, which I changed to clipless Look pedals. I am in the process of changing the headset to threadless. The team at Peachtree Bikes in Atlanta are great and do their best to keep it in toon.

Submitted by Trey a Recreational Rider from Denver, Co.

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff, light enough, fun.

Weaknesses:    Sound like a one man band when everything else is quiet.

Bottom Line:
Like most everyone who's reviewed this bike, I'm a mountain biker who got a road bike so he could sneak in some extra miles. I've got to confess- it's a fun bike to ride. I didn't think I'd like road riding this much. The bike feels like all my power goes forward. I got entry-level SPD pedals put on them, which seems to take care of the pedal problems that other people have mentioned. It was a throw-in when I got the bike, so it didn't cost nutthin'. The 105 drive train works but is a little bit noisy. I can't ever seem to adjust the grinding away in certain gears.

Purchased At:   Turin Bicycles

Submitted by chriva a Commuter from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Strengths:    Best Value out there - try finding a full 105 group with R535 wheelset and pedals for under $900 - let alone from a reputable brand like Bianchi. Terrific ride qualities, beautiful color and paint.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle is weak - too soft, heavy, and uncomfortable - I replaced it with Selle Italia XO gel. Pedals (while nice that they are included) are cheap Wellgo's and need upgrading.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding value for the money - the Shimano wheelset alone is worth $300 if purchased separately! Stiff and responsive ride but not jarring thanks to the carbon fork. 105 components function flawlessly - tested Ultegra and thought the difference was very minor. I use the bike daily for a 20 mile commute up and down Venice Blvd and it performs admirably.

Favorite Ride:   Descending from Palos Verdes

Purchased At:   Supergo Santa Monica

Bike Setup:   Stock with Specialized Speedzone Pro with altimeter, and Selle Italia XO gel saddle.

Submitted by Stevefromlittleton a Recreational Rider from Littleton,Co.

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    The Wheelset is sweet. In 3 solid months of recreational riding and commuting 25 miles to work, The wheels haven't had to be trued. Shifting is crisp, Handling is tight, Good stock rubber on the wheels.

Weaknesses:    I keep popping out of the pedals. I'm replacing them soon.The paint tends to easy to chip.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for all around use. Training, Commuting or recreational. I've done some hard rides on this bike, and I really don't have any complaints.

Favorite Ride:   The Giro