Bianchi Veloce Triple 2002 Road Bike

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Submitted by george kraushaar a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Strengths:    Italian pedigree
Campy components
stable handling on the downhills

Weaknesses:    goofy climbing
heavier weight

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used but it looked almost new and barely ridden. I liked the fact that it was Campy, and I had never been able to afford Campy back in the 70s when I raced category 4 as a student. I also liked the Italian look and I was used to steel. I found, however, that the stem was too short and the bars too narrow for me, so I had to replace them. After several months the right shifter broke and I ended up replacing both shifters so that they would look the same. What really did the bike in, finally, was that it just wasn't any fun to climb on and all we have are hills in the Smokies. It did, however, descend very safely and securely. I ended up trading it in on new old stock Felt F-70 which does for me what the Bianchi did not. Its kind of sad; I wanted to love this bike so bad,

Favorite Ride:   Webster Loop

Purchased At:   Motion Makers

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez Elite
Cannondale Road Warrior 600

Submitted by phacharawut a Recreational Rider from webster groves

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, strong frame, super value, stable descent. It really shines on steep curvy descent and those bumpy roads.

Weaknesses:    "Pig on the climb" anyone?
The stock wheelset sucks, heavy fork.
The stock handlebar is far too narrow.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike at the price of super deal. I love steel frame. It is smooth and it does not bounce you around like those regular aluminum frames(on bumpy round.) Bianchi geometry is perfect for me, and frame geometry is the matter of personal prefernce. I am riding 53 cm frame, with 53.5 TT, 73-degree head angle and seat tube angle of 75 degree. It is really fine. Campy veloce works smoothly without shifting hesitation. However this bike is really slow on the climb. I prefer to buy the one with double chainring, but triple chainring model is all they have on sale. Bianchi stock saddle is pretty comfortable. Overall, this bike is good for training ride or long century/charity ride. I do not think that this triple chainring thing can make it in the real road race, it is just too sluggish on the climb. I wish bianchi can put all carbon fork on this bike instead of chromo steerer-carbon fork. The stock wheelset sucks!!! Other people might think differently. That is fine with me. I always prefer bianchi bikes, and I still do. I plan to get san lorenzo or XL boron next year.
All hail Fausto Coppi !!!

Favorite Ride:   Clayton, sugar creek, anywhere with no SUV

Purchased At:   Mars

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5500(my current favourite), Bianchi Axis(excellent geometry and gearing), Novara Trionfo(good Columbus tubing does not always make good bike), Fuji Team Issue(unbelievably smooth aluminum bike, s

Bike Setup:   Stock except new handle bar.

Submitted by Derrick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Appearance, frame, Campy Veloce group

Weaknesses:    Seems like the paint might chip kind of easy.

Bottom Line:
We all carry our own prejudices into our decisions and I'm no exception. I started riding it the early '70's and in those days Italian steel was the basis of any quality bicycle. I guess that was imprinted in my neural circuits somewhere so when the time came for a new road bike I had three criterion: It had to be Italian, it had to be Campy equipped, and it should have that 'retro' look. After researching the various brands s out there, I decided on Bianchi for its classic Italian style and craftsmanship. I ordered mine in Celeste for that classic Bianchi look. Fit and finish is outstanding. The celeste paint is a beautiful metallic with a slight pearl appearance. As mentioned in one of the Vigorelli reviews, it does seem to chip a bit easier than one would like. The Campy gear has a beautiful satin finish except for the hubs, which are polished. If I had a complaint about the bike’s appearance it would be the ugly stem (but that’s pretty standard with any threadless headset). Performance wise the frame seems stiffer than other bikes I’ve ridden though not overly so. That’s a good thing when I stand out of the saddle with my near 200-lbs of heft – no noticeable flex. It’s also comforting when coming down some of the long descents in my part of the country (Colorado Rockies) as the bike is very stable. The Campy Ergopower shifters were new to me and the first time I’ve used anything but downtube shifters on a road bike. I’m getting the hang of them though. The front (left) shifter seems a bit more fidgety than I’m used to as it needs to be trimmed fairly often when shifting the rear cogs. I never have to do that on my MTB so it’s a bit annoying but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. There’s also a rather long throw on the front downshift button going from the middle to small chainring which is, again, something I’m sure I’ll get used to. Otherwise shifting has been flawless. Just for grins I tried downshifting (to a larger cog) while out of the saddle during a climb. It wasn’t pretty but it worked, taking about a half a turn to complete. No missed shifts. The triple is a lifesaver for me. I’m originally from New Orleans where we’re below sea level and the only hills are the occasional bridge or overpass and now that I’m in Colorado the altitude and the hills are grueling. I need all the help I can get and then some. Overall it’s been a pleasure to ride and I

Favorite Ride:   Don't have one yet.

Similar Products Used:   1974 Bottecchia w/Campy/Simplex mix
1984 Peugeot w/Sachs-Huret
1994 Yakota w/Shimano Exage

Bike Setup:   57cm Bianchi Reparto Corse SL Mega Lite steel frame, Campy Veloce triple group with a Centaur front

Submitted by indianhillsted a Recreational Rider from Indian Hills, CO

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    I like the little longer wheelbase. It is extremely smooth on rough surfaces. I preferred the Campy ergo shifters over the Shimano STI. I rode this right next to the Bianchi Vigorelli. The Ultegra bike was lighter, but the Veloce had improved frame and wheels...and the Campy just rocked. I've never owned a Campy bike and I will say I'll never ride a Shimano road bike again. I live in the foothills and never ride flats anymore so the triple crank is a must for me.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but what is weight really?? I also knew I would get this with a steel bike.

I now see that mine does not have the stock seat. As I was walking out the door after spending a lot of time fitting my bike, they said that the seat they had fitted me on was the right one. The other was the awesome Bianchi Celeste, but I was ready to leave. the only I have is a Vetta but has Bianchi stitched into it too.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding road bikes (not racing) for over 20 years now. My last two bikes were a Schwinn 564 Aluminum (1989, I think) and a Specialized Allez Epic carbon (1992, I think). I moved to Colorado from Iowa 4 years ago and have since been only mtn biking. I road the Allez a few times out here and hated it.

Well, onto newer things. My Veloce is the best road bike I've owned and the best in the price range. I tried them all. The other reviewer is right that a good shop is good to have (Green Mountain Sports rocks!). But all I knew was I wanted a new steel bike. And without going custom, mail order, or expensive Italian only meant Bianchi, LeMond, and Marin.

I rode all three, including a Colnago and felt the Bianchi was the most versatile. It is so smooth on screaming windy descents, I am just amazed. It also climbs very smoothly. I will easily be able to spend the day on this doing a century.

Favorite Ride:   Twisty Foothill Roads (& Singletrack, but that's a diff't bike)

Purchased At:   Green Mountain Sport

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Buenos Aires - weird geometry
Lemond Zurich - only the 53cm felt right

Bianchi Imola
Bianchi Giro
Bianchi Vigorelli

Colnago veloce/mirage mix -???

Marin Veloce/Centaur (no triple, k

Bike Setup:   56cm
triple crank

Submitted by Freewheelers a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent frame, very nice fork, campy components work great, strong wheels, smooth ride, excellent fit, great paint job. Again, I can't stress enough how good of a job the folks at Carolina Cycling Gear did.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle, of course saddles are a personal preference so you might like it.

Bottom Line:
I was riding on a used bike (1997 Lemond Tourmalet) that didn't fit me very well. I contacted Carolina Cycling Gear (Greenville, SC) about getting fit for a Bianchi. They were extremely helpful and friendly. The fitting took about an hour. I had been riding a 54cm and found out that my size in Bianchi would be a 51cm. They ordered the Bianchi Veloce with a triple crank so I can comfortably go uphill. When it arrived, I spent some time in the shop on the trainer, to make sure saddle height and reach were perfect. Once again, the staff was extremely helpful and courteous.
Wow, what a great ride. This bike is stiff and comfortable. The paint scheme is very nice (Navy blue and Yellow). The campy components work beautifully. Most importantly the fit is perfect. The wheels are quite durable. I did swap the saddle for a Terry Butterfly (very comfortable). This is definitely the best bike I have ever owned and it has been a joy riding it so far.

Favorite Ride:   USCS