Bianchi Veloce 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by Anthony Bianchi a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride and great handling. Components can be rebuilt and or upgraded. The lookm is classic and timeless; celeste rules!

Weaknesses:    None. Some say weight, I say lose some of your own.

Bottom Line:
Greatest bike ever owned; updating over the years, so no need to replace. Steel is real. Smooth ride, great handling due to superior geometry, old school looks, not the flashy new sloping crap top tube made in Taiwan junk. Crunch the big gears and the bike responds. Whether it is a quick 30 miles training ride or a 150 miles day long event. Never quits. Over 40000 miles in ten years owned and over 6000 the last two.

Favorite Ride:   Creekside Trail to Xenia and back

Purchased At:   Tipp Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   An old Schwinn Paramount frame which I thought was great (at the time) but in fact is junk.

Bike Setup:   Now with Campy Khamsin wheels, Carbon Chorus seatpost, and Rubino pros (never flats).

Submitted by burpee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2004

Strengths:    Comfortable, fast, fun. Campy!

Weaknesses:    I don't know. Heavy? I've heard others say this. I have no benchmark for comparison. A couple no-name components.

Bottom Line:
More bike than I was originally looking for (in both price and features), but this bike gives me more pleasure every time I ride it.

Purchased in early 2003 as a 2002 leftover. I guess I got lucky, as this is the last year this frame was steel. I was a long time MTBer looking to purchase a commuter bike, my work moved close enough to make for a reasonable occasional commute (20 mi one-way). Walked into the LBS, told him my requirements (size requirements, steel frame, double front ring, etc). I was actually looking for one of those straight-bar hybrid "street" bikes. LBS guy pointed to this yellow and blue beauty hanging in the window. It was more than I wanted to spend, but a great deal. I couldn't pass it up.

The saddle was too narrow for my big fat butt (6'3", 200+). I swapped in a WTB saddle that I have on my MTB. Much better. I had a hard time getting used to the tuck position after 10 years riding upright MTBs, so LBS fitted me with a slight ride Profile stem.

I love my new commuter bike and my commute! I still get a little freaked out on high speed descents on the skinny tires and tuck position. I also get weirded out when feeling the carbon fork deflect on rough roads. I'm afraid I'm going to break this work of art. But she's not as fragile as she appears, and I am enjoying the smooth ride and overtaking other riders on the road as much as bombing a rocky rooty NE singletrack downhill on the MTB!

Favorite Ride:   My commute

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   None. Surly 1x1 singlespeed, Santa Cruz Bullit.

Bike Setup:   Mainly stock, Profile stem with a slight rise. WTB SST mountain saddle (see below).

Submitted by Timothy Conaway a Triathlete from Pickerington

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    Campy components are very smooth and crisp. Geometry is great. Steel adds for a very smooth ride. Durable frame.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy because of the steal-- sacrificing weight for comfort.

Bottom Line:
Although a newbie to road racing and triathlons, I tried out a multitude of racing bikes, both triathlon and road racing. For the price range, I believe that I bought the best bike I could. The steel frame makes the rides much smoother, but of course adds weight. It has given me the biggest adrenaline rush that I have ever had storming by competitors and flying during sprints. Campagnolo components are AWESOME. It is great for both touring and racing. Worthy for future upgrades. I put more miles on my bike than I do my car and I do a lot of driving; each extra mile on it makes me feel more in tune with this machine. I can't wait to test this bike out in a full ironman coming up soon. I thoroughly enjoy my bike.

Favorite Ride:   The Great Buckeye Challenge

Purchased At:   Westerville Bike Sho

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi eros.

Will 2004 campy veloce crank/chainrings work with shimano chain and cassette?

I have a full Dura Ace 7800 bike. 2004 Cannondale. All original components except the chain which was last replaced a few months ago. I love it as is but I'm climbing over 10,000 feet in a couple weeks. I really need to put a compact crank on it ASAP. My training rides with 39/12-27 have b ... Read More »

Veloce, Centaur or Athena

I'm going to build up my LOOK KG281 - I've had it in storage for a few years and miss riding it. I previously had a Shimano DA 9 speed grouppo on it but decided to try out Campy this time. I was looking on Shiny Bikes and noticed the 3 grouppos mentioned above are at reasonable if not excellentl ... Read More »

Veloce vs 105 dilemma

Hi all I am in the process of buying my first carbon road bike the 2012 pinarello fp due but I have a slight dilemma. I have the choice of either veloce or 105 however I have a shimano rs80 wheelset and i am not sure about the most wildcat wheels, personally I like the look of veloce better but just ... Read More »

How good/bad is 90s Athena or Veloce?

I may have to replace the 8-speed Chorus hub on my 1996 Bianchi, and they're ridiculously expensive. Veloce and Athena hubs are much more available and inexpensive, but I have no experience with them. Any opinions would be appreciated.Read More »

Pricing De Bernardi Alle with Veloce components

Hey guys, its been a while! I'm not even sure how many people are still around from the day's when this board helped be select my bike. With a bit of a heavy heart, I've decided to sell the De Bernardi. Its been decorating the wall of my garage for 5 years now as I've built my career. In tru ... Read More »