Cannondale R2000 Si (Triple) 2002 Road Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by trkatt a Recreational Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Quality

Weaknesses:    A little too rigid for someone used to ti or steel. This is easily overcome by the above strengths...

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. Can't believe how fast it is compared to others ridden. It is a little rough but so is a sports car. I have smoothed it out with ti seat post, carbon saddle, Bar Phat Tape (specialized.) It climbs very well and handles even better. I was going to sell it before I built it up but have realized that the caad 7 can't be that much better than the caad 5. They are both great frames but I saved several hundred by going with the 5 and I don't think that I am missing out on anything but a little prestige.

Favorite Ride:   any

Similar Products Used:   Moots Ti
Dean Ti
Bianchi Cro-mo

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra
3T bar & stem
Campy Ti seat post
Velomax Circuit Wheels (make the bike)

Submitted by Puzman a Recreational Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    Frame is stiff yet smooth (for Al). Very light. Ultegra works great.

Weaknesses:    A minor gripe- at high speed the steering feels a bit twitchy, but I'm running a relatively short stem (90 or 100mm- can't recall).

Bottom Line:
This is an incredibly smooth bike for a oversize Al frame. The bike sprints and climbs well, is very light (under 19lbs with full Ultegra), and soaks up bumps better than any other Al bike I tested (including those with Carbon stays). Highly recommend dealing with Gary Hobbs at GVH bikes. A Caad5 frame with full Ultegra ran about $1000 less than a comparable R2000! I ride a 54cm, which fits well.

Purchased At:   GVHbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannodale Crit 3.0
Old Basso
Litespeed Hyperion

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra gruppo

Submitted by Jim a Recreational Rider from San Marcos, CA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2002

Strengths:    Utegra Groupo...awesome. Campy Protons...Love em. Nothing missing here
Extremely light for a tripple (need it for the climbs on those type of rides) W/ pedals and saddle wedge tops at 18.5 lbs (54 cm frame)

Weaknesses:    C'dale Saddle was like riding on a pipe. Had to change to the afore mentioned Selle Italia

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after I was involved in an accident that destroyed my 2001 Specialized Allez A1 Sport. I loved that bike! But this machine is soooo.... smooth especially for a stiff Al frame. The hourgalss seat stays work as advertized. The Ultegra drive train is awesome. This bike jumps when I step on it. I changed the saddle though to a Selle Italia Flite Ti. As far as I am concerned C'dale did not miss a thing here, especially for the price. The Campy Protons ride great; The Time/C'dale Si fork kills the harsh road vibrations. This bike handles very predictably its like it is a part of me. I now know why Cannondale is as popular as they are. This bike is a masterpiece of cycling technology. By far the best I have owned.

Favorite Ride:   Oceanside coast through Del Mar

Purchased At:   Supergo: Oceanside

Similar Products Used:   2002 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Specialized Ai Allez Sport. Nishiki International (old school bike), 2000 Specialized M4 S-Works. Bianchi.

Bike Setup:   Stock w/Selle Italia Flite Sadde, Look P296, Supergo and Cateye Computers for HR and cadence.

Submitted by TG a Road Racer from Washington, Missouri

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    Supple ride. responsive steering. excellent fit with 1 cm sizes. light weight.

Weaknesses:    none so far. some say the frame is fragile, but it would take a huge hit to break it.

Bottom Line:
Beautiful frame and fork. I moved from a CAAD2 to CAAD7. Huge difference in ride quality. Fast, responsive and the smoothest aluminum bike I have ridden. For the weight to dollar ratio, is excellent. To get a ride this good I would have to spend a lot more for well-made Ti. I am using all Ultegra now with plans to get DA when these wear out.

Purchased At:   Sunset Cyclery, St.

Similar Products Used:   CAAD 2 Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Ritchey WCS bar/stem. Ultegra drivetrain/brakes/BB. Thompson/Selle.
Heliums/michelin.

Submitted by andy a Recreational Rider from Kalamazoo mi

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    fast, responsive, fits, good shop where purchased, light, just got it (early), good package for the money overall - caad 7

Weaknesses:    triple little touchy when shifting, extra shifting manover required, not huge deal for the granny feature

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 2003 cannondale r2000, triple, black. Just thought I would post one because I couldn't find any reviews when I was shopping for a road bike. I am not a huge road guy, but I really like the bike. Good hardware, ultegra all over and dura ace rear derail. The specs are at the cannondale site. Shopped around a lot, almost went giant, did not like the sizing, they tried to make me a M, I bought a 52 cm r2000. Alot of other options seemed to be between trek and trek in one way or another.

Favorite Ride:   brand new