Cannondale R2000 Si 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by carbonfreak a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2003

Strengths:    Power transfer is amazing. My average speed has actually increased, even though it weighs more than my Kestrel (& I'm using the best tires on the Kestrel & worst -Nashbar $6.00- on the Cannondale)

Ride is super smooth- no rear end bounce like I expected.

Control is dead on.

Weaknesses:    Paint scratches easily. Going from a clearcoat carbon to paint, I can immediately tell the difference. Drop-outs are already scratched & so's the seat tube where I put it on my bike rack. I'm giving it a value rating of only 4 because I know it will be scratched up w/in a year.

Bottom Line:
I can't believe I'm writing a review for an aluminum bike! I've not owned anything other than Kestrels since my 856 Reynolds bike from years ago... but because it's so surprisingly good, I had to write something. I thought that it would be harsh (I only weigh 140 on a 'heavy' day & am 5'8"), but it's easily as comfortable. My set up is different from the stock in that it's 100% Dura Ace. Weight is pretty good too at around 18lbs. I bought this bike for winter riding where I wouldn't be as concerned about crashing, but don't know if I'll be switching back (or upgrading to the CAAD7).

Favorite Ride:   Millerton- hilly but not deadly

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel EMS (my regular bike), Giant Composite (felt dead), Trek 2500- what turned me off aluminum in the 1st place.

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace throughout, Dave's Speed Dream wheels (best wheels ever).

Submitted by rmorris80 a Recreational Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Good fit. Great componemnts.

Weaknesses:    Frame is really poorly made and very weak. The company is nowhere to be found after three attempts to contact no response. So much for lifetime guarantee and really makes you want support American Products. They proudly display the "Made in America" sticker.

Bottom Line:
While I was riding on a coast ride (great ride), I was climbing a steep hill when my clip came lose on my pedal. My knee hit the upper tube about midway down the tube. I was able to regain my balance and continue up the hill. Upon further inspection I realized that there was a rather large oval shaped dent (larger than a quarter) in the frame where my knee hit the bike. My knee was not affected (no bruise) in the incident, nor was the paint on the bike, and you can imagine my dismay at the effect it had on the bike. I contacted Cannondale and have yet to get a response. I am 50 years old and this was to be my dream bike. The dream has turned into a nightmare.

Favorite Ride:   Coast through Torry Pines

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   far I have since taken the bike to the place purchased and none of the sales representatives have ever seen anything like it. Really not the type of customer treatment they have seen from other manufa

Submitted by stdnrw12 a Road Racer from Huntsville, TX

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light, good climber. Handles well at high speeds and under my sprint. (I weigh 158 pounds.)

Weaknesses:    The proton wheels.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for what you pay for. The proton wheelset is the first upgrade though. Other than that it is race ready.

Favorite Ride:   climb, long climbs

Purchased At:   Bike Lane Houston

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R600(2000 model)

Bike Setup:   Easton handlebar, Ksyrium wheels, Dura Ace rear derailer, record seatpost, terry fly seat

Submitted by biilll a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2002

Strengths:    Price, weight, performance

Weaknesses:    Everyone rides a Cannondale

Bottom Line:
I wasn't that interested in Cannondale when I started looking. I road several high end bikes from Calfee, Seven, Serotta. I rode a CAAD 5 to try a frame size. Was I pleasantly surprised. Superbly balanced. Very stable at high speed but still responsive. Smooth ride. Light 3.8lbs frame fork and record integrated headset. The other bikes I mentioned had characteristics I didn't like. The CAAD 5 fit all my requirements.
I don't know how Cannondale does it for so little money.

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Record

Submitted by zray61 a Road Racer from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent standard size frame(63cm) and fork for me - 6'4",220lbs. Ultegra triple,
Ultegra is one of Shimano's best values.
Dura-Ace is the "best" but at my level of expertise it would be wasted.

Weaknesses:    The set up of the wheels and tires. See product review. Also, the seat is not to my liking. I use a Bassano - see Vueltausa@aol.com for information about the seat. It is an Italian seat that works for me.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a triple chain ring bike for centuries and, also I need a large frame. The CAAD5 - 63cm frame is a wonderful fit for me but as noted by others both the 2000si and the 3000si are "spec"ed out more as racing bikes than road bikes. Subsequently, they proved to be a harsh ride over rough pavement. I don't think the frame and fork are the major contributors to the problem but rather the wheels and tires are the major problem The wheels and tires are transmitting the bumps more than they are absorbing them. So, I'm ordering the bike with Mavic cpx-33 wheels and Continental 700 x 25c tires. I'm using these wheels and tires on my current Klein bike and they they do make a positive ride improvement on long rides.

Favorite Ride:   coastline

Similar Products Used:   Klein Quantum Race, Ultegra, double chain ring.