Cannondale R3000 Si 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by BigOne a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2016

Strengths:    Lightweight, attractive, 16.9 lbs it seems pretty stiff, I haven't hit a pothole yet.

Weaknesses:    I too had an issue with stem, and took a spill. My fault, it wasn't tight enough. The Cinelli bars give more than the carbon fork.

Bottom Line:
I have about 100 miles on it in cold weather and it has only wet my appetite for more endorphin. Please warm up! So far, it is very light, and dream to ride. I will be using it for my lunch hour workouts, climbing hills and gaining oxygen depth. I don't see this bike as any more than that.

Favorite Ride:   2001 R3000si

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   1994 Cannondale M2000 Mountain Bike with big gum wall knobbies and a granny gear. (no oxidation)
1988 Univega Gran Rally, Shimano 600 steel is real
1994 Trek 1100 Aluminum

Bike Setup:   Ebay purchase in Feb 2016, which makes the 2001 CAAD 5 R3000si an ancient piece. I paid $500. Cobalt blue with yellow stickers. It does have Race Lites, Dura Ace components and Ultegra brakes. The Thomson seat tube is aluminum, and it has a very nice Selle Italia Octavia leather seat with Manganese frame. It has the Campy Record. Who ever owned it, didn't ride it much, because the original Michelin PRO2's are still on it and they still have the mold whiskers. There is no wear on the cassette or the chain set. The aluminum frame has done its share of oxidizing under the beautiful paint. My purpose is to climb 200 to 400 foot hills, and I will wear it out. I had to replace some non-responsive cable housings, synthetic lube the basics, and tune it. The Dura Ace system is quick and easy to tune. There were no signs of a previous tune. In any respect,

Submitted by dctrofspin a Road Racer from Washington DC

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffness, craftmenship, paint, everything.

Weaknesses:    Campy hiddenset has needed adjustment twice. Bike is not as light as the elite racers -- but damn close for the $$$

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 2002 R 700 on close out and stripped the 105 components and sent the CXP 21's apackin'. What I loved was the Caad 5 frame decked out in the USA Edition RW&B paint scheme that C'dale did to honor the 9/11 firefighters. I put a full D/A drivetrain and Kysrium Elite wheels. I netted about $250 on Ebay for the stuff I stripped, new wheels and D/A set me back $850.00. Total net was $1700 for new 2002 R3000 equivelent. The bike is stiff, light, fast and a joy to look at. I love C'dale as a company and this bike is a blast.

Favorite Ride:   W&O.D. from DC to Leesb urg

Purchased At:   Bike store/JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Caad5 frame, D/A double,D/A shifters,D/A f/r derailers, 12-25 cassette, deda 215 bars, cannondale stem, selle pro-link saddle, mavic ksyrium elites, continental 3000 GP, ultegra peddles,cannondale expert brakes

Submitted by rudd a Road Racer from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    -Stiff
-More comfortable then my first race bike, a lugged steal Tiwanese Bianchi

Weaknesses:    Does anyone, not just Cannondale, put pump pegs on bikes anymore?

Bottom Line:
CAAD 5 frame/fork only
A great bike for an amatuer racer. Light enough, comfortable enough, durable enough. Can't even question stiffness. And the frame sets can be found cheaply enough that I won't cry to hard when I crash it. Just a good reliable, nothing to outragous, race bike. Would buy again.

Favorite Ride:   -

Purchased At:   GVH Bikes

Similar Products Used:   1996 Bianchi Alfana-Tiwanese lugged steel, Shimano 105

Bike Setup:   Seaco CAAD 5, Campy Chorus

Submitted by ETA255 a Road Racer from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    efficient, fast, stiff, light, light, nice paint job (i got the unpainted aluminum w/blue and yellow decals). and the ego boost you get when someone says "daaaaamn, they made a caad7?!? and you got it already?!? lemme ride it" kind of egotistical but were bikers, we flaunt.

Weaknesses:    comfort, but thats what you get, you don't buy a ferrari if you have six kids...

Bottom Line:
(this is a review of the caad7 r3000)
great bike, got it EP from the shop i work at a few months ago. amazingly stiff up hills and in sprints, the bike takes everything you give it. i prefer the hourglass stays compared to carbon stays some bikes now have, i just put a carbon seatpost, and that fixes the problem. my only problem is the ksyrium wheels, which are fantastic, but when you put crazy stiff no-give wheels on a crazy stiff no-give bike, then end result isn't very comfortable, i'm about to switch to the carbones... basically, don't get this if your not a racer, this is a race bike, where you lose comfort, you gain in efficiency, which all of us don't necessarily need. the saddle is great also, the handlebars i had to warm up to but now i like them, and for the seatpost, i switched it for an easton carbon...

Favorite Ride:   up muchmore, down indial hill

Purchased At:   my bike shop