Cannondale R400 Triple 2002 Road Bike

3.33/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by cory a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Longevity, comfort, looks, climbing.

Weaknesses:    The big ring (triple) is huge and unnescessary. I can do 48mph down the steep hills of NH on the middle ring, I never use the larger one.

Bottom Line:
Besides the oversized big ring, the gear ratio is perfect. On steep climbs, this bike still crushes $5000 bikes. I just raced it last weekend in a sprint tri against some amazing carbon tri bikes and hung on for 6th. I can out-climb similar level riders without getting out of the saddle. I have put 5k miles on this bike and it still rides like a dream, I can sit on it all day long. This is a perfect training and fitness machine that can be had used for $400-500. For entry level, you couldn't ask for anything better. I will own this bike forever.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2005 Giant TCR2, 2001 schwinn passage, 2008 Cannondale Ironman

Submitted by Antonio a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, Mavic wheels, brakes

Weaknesses:    SORA/ Tiagra components

Bottom Line:
So far I love the bike. I did however upgrade all the drive train to all Dura-Ace (front/rear deraileur, shifters, chain, rear cassette). I switched the triple cranks to double (FSA Team Carbon). The frame hold up well for me. I'm 6'3" and 220lbs. I dont feel much flex when cranking up hills. The stock brakes actually turned out to be lighter than the Shimano upgrade I bought, so I left them on. I did not like the SORA shifters. But if you are getting this bike as your first, it's great. Room for upgrades. SOLID platform to work on

Favorite Ride:   PCH

Purchased At:   Private Party

Bike Setup:   Dura-Ace front/ rear deraileur, Felt carbon saddle, Dura-ACe STI shifters, Dura-Ace cassette, FSA Team Carbon double cranks

Submitted by George a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Good, sound frame.

Weaknesses:    Components. I plan to change to carbon fork and upgrade front and rear derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
Bought this to upgrade from an 80's era steel frame w/clunky components. Now I have a new frame w/clunky components. At least the frame is worth upgrading as soon as the $$ are there.
The R400 frame has a nuisance rattle in it that I can't pinpoint.

Favorite Ride:   Albuquerque to Coralles

Purchased At:   private treaty

Similar Products Used:   None

Submitted by bandj a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame and great price for a Cannondale. The frame itself was worth the entire cost IMHO. The frame makes the bike definately worth upgrading.

Weaknesses:    Stock SORA derailers and cranks did not shift smoothly. Even the LBS was not able to get the front derailer/cranks to dependibly shift for very long. The steel fork, bottom bracket and triple cranks add a lot of weight. Strap and toeclip system is dated.

Bottom Line:
Just a disclaimer, I've mostly been a bike commuter that used a MTB and also rode a recumbent bike. I had a ancient Schwinn roadbike in the garage gathering dust which I rarely rode. I decided to make an impulse buy of this bike just because it looked pretty and the LBS knocked $200 off and through in a few extras. So I really don't have a deep background on roadbikes. But I can say this, this is lightyears ahead of my old Schwinn roadbike and much much faster.

Having rode on this bike for nearly two years now, I have to say this was one of the best impulse buys I ever made. This bike is fast, climbs mountains like a goat, and looks great. I did have trouble with the front derailer/cranks. The shifting was terrible. After letting the LBS screw with it a few times, and it wasn't getting better, I went ahead and upgraded everything to Shimano 105 grade and installed it myself. That was like getting a new bike again, everything worked better. I haven't had a single thing to complain about since upgrading the cranks & derailer. I also didn't fit the saddle well, I would get numb in some places during rides over an hour long. A new saddle fixed this issue.

Favorite Ride:   Sandia Crest

Purchased At:   Northwest Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   A 20 something year-old Schwinn 12-speed road bike I junked it after buying this). Also ride a Raleigh MTB and a RANS recumbent.

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to SPD road pedals. Upgraded triple cranks, bottom bracket, and derailer to Shimano 105's. Upgraded steel fork to a Eastman EC30 carbon threaded fork. All told I dropped nearly 3 lbs from the bike with these simple upgrades. But added a bit of weight back with thorn resistant tubes and slime. I also changed the saddle to a Specialized gel seat.

Submitted by chang200 a Recreational Rider from Santa Monica, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    The frame & the name; good value for entry level road bike. Stable handling at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    Low quality components, especially the derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
My first ever road bike, bought it on a whim and now I'm hooked and want to race soon. I was sold mostly on Cannondale's reputation for great frames and didn't even try any other brands. After a couple months of daily riding I'm starting to hate the derailleurs and wishing for better handlebar geometry. Gotta wait for another couple paychecks to upgrade components. Otherwise I'm pleased with how fast it goes and the smooth handling at speed. A pretty good value (marked down from $800) but I'll end up spending more than the difference getting better parts.

Favorite Ride:   The Strand