Cannondale R4000 Si 2002 Road Bike

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by fatandbald a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Strengths:    Light and fast. Hollogram crank is superb, best Ive ever tried.

Weaknesses:    Still looking.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. Unless your names Lance this bike will always be too fast for you, no matter how hard you work it always has that little bit more left in every gear, teasing you.

Favorite Ride:   Anything with hills

Similar Products Used:   Pinarello prince, Trek 5500, Giant TCR

Bike Setup:   CAAD6 frame, slice forks, Hollogram integrated crank, Durace ace/Ultegra, Ksyrium SSC.

Submitted by lta a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Strengths:    Frame/crank design is it!

Weaknesses:    BB bracket to high for stiff frame making it nervous at higher speeds.

Bottom Line:
Light and stiff are the key words here. Crank/frame combination make it a rocket for those who need to apply the horsepower. Roads in Eastern Washington are a bit less than good, so they make an excellent test of a frames resilence. This frame replaced a Klein Quantum that I broke on my own accord. No fault of Kleins. The two frames are both aluminium, but have very few common characteristics. The Klein was more forgiving and sophisticated. The Cannondale is much stiffer.

I have used the Cannondale in a few races and it is excellent going uphill, bridgeing a gap, or sprinting. It is possibly one of the worst bikes I have ever had on descents on rough pavement.

The parts, except cranks, are the same as I have used on several other bikes. This allows a fairly quick comparison. I also ride a custom Ti frame, that is much better for road races. The Ti bike also allows a quick comparison as it is more foregiving and as is very fast on a descent.

In conclusion, I would recommend this bike to anyone who has good pavement, rides crits and hill climbs, and never has to go downhill really fast. Probably be a hot setup for the MidWest.

Favorite Ride:   Tour d'Lac

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Transit

Similar Products Used:   Fuji, Klein, another 40+ frames over the years.

Bike Setup:   Very nice.

Submitted by netso a Recreational Rider from Temple Terrace, FL

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light, Stiff and I like the Kysyrium wheels.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been a wonder. Coming from steel I thought this bike would be really uncomfortable. It has been just the opposite, yet it is very stiff which I like. It is light, and very pretty.

Favorite Ride:   Antioch

Purchased At:   University Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   CIOCC, Raleigh

Bike Setup:   Shimana DA, Speedplay pedals, Kysyrium wheels, Fizik Poggio saddle.

Submitted by dbj_cyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiff bottom bracket/crank combo, forgiving ride, corners and sprints better than anything I've ridden

Weaknesses:    This is really just a nit...Mounting tires over the Campy rims and I personally have had problems w/ pinch flats when using the stock tires, though not with other tires. One other nit (but it's with Shimano) is how much the brake pads "bleed" in the rain...very noticeable on a white bike!

Bottom Line:
Very impressive bike. The bottom bracket and crank combination is amazing! Stiffness like nothing I've ever ridden. With all the stiffness, though, the ride is surprisingly forgiving. The combination of the all-carbon fork and the shaped seat stays provide quite a bit of damping compared to less-refined or older aluminum frames. I find that this bike rides more smoothly than my ancient steel frame...believe it or not!

If I had any beefs, it'd be with the wheels: They ride nice, are very light, have stayed very true, and corner well, but I just don't like Campy rims--esp. for getting tires over 'em...particularly Continentals (which come stock). I've also had endless trouble with pinch flats when I use the GP 3000s. Of note, though, is that when I use other tires, I get almost no flats...probably just a bad rim/tire combo for a guy my size.

Would I recommend the bike? Absolutely. It's crazy light, it corners and climbs like a demon (though you do have to watch yourself on descents a bit...but not much), and you can't top it in a sprint. Plus, the paint job is just so darn purty! (You have to see it in person to really appreciate it.)

Favorite Ride:   Anything Fast

Similar Products Used:   Multiple high-end road bikes, older C'dales, my old steel rig, etc.

Bike Setup:   Stock