Cannondale R500 Feminine Triple 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by Karen a Recreational Rider from Ventura County, CA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    1) The saddle is actually comfortable! I thought for sure I'd be replacing it but once I nudged the nose down a little it's great. I even rode my mtn bike yesterday with the Terry saddle I bought for it and I found it less comfortable!
2) Seat stays are curved to absorb shock
3) Made in America

Weaknesses:    Can't adjust the toe in of the brake pads except by brute force.

Bottom Line:
This bike is wonderful after riding a mountain bike: much lighter and of course faster on the roads. This is actually my first road bike since the steel 10-speed I got for my 10th birthday. I never thought I'd spend this much for a bike but it's worth it!

I can't really rate the components since I'm new to road bikes but it's held up fine after about 300 miles (I added a computer). The only (minor) problem was a squeeky brake pad at about 250 miles which required toeing in. I didn't like the method of doing it: grab the metal brake holder with a wrench and twist it. Not a great design if you ask me! The rear brake pads weren't toed in at all. The one was even slightly heeled in as evidenced by the pad material coming off and building up at the toe end!

All in all, I'm pleased so far, and very happy since it's actually made in the USA! Don't let the brake thing stop you since they can certainly be upgraded.

This is a great entry level road bike for women! It has clipless pedals, which I was nervous about but I've only fallen once. They're very easy to get out of on the loosest setting. And they add so much power for hill climbing.

Purchased At:   Newbury Park Bicycle