Cannondale R500 Triple 2002 Road Bike

4.2/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Sweep a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable ride, even the original seat. I've upgraded components but the originals were durable.

Weaknesses:    Original Tiagra shifters work, but only because I'm familiar with the fine tune tweeking required.

Bottom Line:
I bought my bike, new in 2004, and it's been a good bike, getting me through numerous Half Iron and two Ironman events. However, I have made several changes, perhaps should have just upgraded. Changed the triple to a Sram Force compact crank set. Look Keo carbon pedals, Easton 50SL wheels. Still think it could shift more smoothly, so I'm contemplating more changes. Would try a new carbon bike if I won the lottery, but it's fine for my level of competitiveness.

Favorite Ride:   Fort Langley

Purchased At:   White Rock, BC

Similar Products Used:   I had a St.Severein 10speed back in 1971, but I don't think that counts.

Submitted by Luca Salvucci a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, handling, although good responsiveness

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur isn't enough stiff, I'd rather preferred a 105 groupset on this frame and wheels setup but for the price paid I'm fine so far.

Bottom Line:
I've purchased this bike in Italy on sale on september 2010 on sale and the components are different from those you find on US models. My R500 CAAD4 has a Tiagra groupset 9 speeds with Tiagra hubs and Mavic Cxp21 rims. It also has a double Cannondale crankset with 53-39 chainrings.
I'm really satisfied with this bike. It's a great ride, comfortable, responsive, stiff enough for the recreational cyclist that loves to do long rides like granfondos, safe in downhill roads with switchbacks even on rough roads. I'm 6'tall and my weight is 160 lbs. The seat is in leather and discovered that it really suits me. The shop guy told me it was made in 2004 but I'm not so sure of that.

Favorite Ride:   Strarossini Granfondo Pesaro Italia

Purchased At:   Idea Ruote - Sant'Ar

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Mega Alloy Reparto Corse - Campagnolo Veloce-Mirage Groupset, with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels

Bike Setup:   Frame: Cannondale CAAD4 R500 size 58 yellow
Tires: Continental 4000 Ultra
Seat: Cannondale leather

Submitted by bikerboynyc a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    tbd

Weaknesses:    tbd

Bottom Line:
Hi,

Lot's of great reviews on here. I need some advice if it's out there. I live in NYC and am new to road biking. I'm 6'tall and 150lbs. Only adult bike I've ever owned was a 2001 GT 5.0 mountain bike a few yrs ago. I've been looking for a geared road bike, something entry-level, and decided on Cannondale. I found a 2008 56cm R500 on Ebay yesterday, but the seller seems to not know a ton about bikes either. Just that it's in mint condition, and has ritchey bars ,clip on peddles, carbon fiber fork, shimano tiagra frount derailer, and a deore xt rear derailer. I realize the R500 stock components are basic, but I'm just starting out and am hoping this bike will be a perfect first ride. Is this a good deal at $470? I know the R500 is no longer produced, but I can't find the price it was selling for new. Also... anyone have any thoughts on these derailers? I really know very little about bikes. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Favorite Ride:   '08 Canondale R500

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   '01 GT 5.0 mountain bike

Bike Setup:   tbd

Submitted by Adam Tranter a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight Frame
Durability
Looks
Brand, Shallow I know :P

Weaknesses:    Poor Groupset as standard. But you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great, I got mine dirt cheap and I know a lot of people who paid a lot more for it. The frame is very lightweight and the carbon fork goes nicely with it. The only downside to it is the poor groupset, although I haven't had many problems with it I could probably get the weight down to 6 and a half pounds if I was alternatively using Ultegra. I must say this is a great Entry Level bike, and even better to give you a good start to Road Racing.