Cannondale R700 Si 2002 Road Bike

4.6/5 (30 Reviews)

Submitted by Levent Okten

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very good geometry , stiff , nimble , fun to ride .

Weaknesses:    Factory delivered saddle is not very comfortable .

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike to own for daily usage . I have it for ten years now and i think if cannondale reproduce it again , it is still going to be a more preferable one against same price category bikes .

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, Relatively Lightweight, Stiff, Good Mix of Components for an entry level bike

Weaknesses:    Some riders would consider it too heavy - mine is about 22 pounds with all my extras attached.

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level road bike, or a training bike. I bought it in the spring of 2005 to get a feel for the sport, and I'm going to be upgrading soon!

This bike has been great to me - it's stiff, durable, and light enough not to completely kill you on climbs. The only problem I've ever had (in over 6000 miles of riding crappy New England pavement) is a bent rear wheel from when I spaced out and hit a massive pothole sitting in the saddle.

Other than that, if you keep it clean, ride smart, and keep it tuned up yourself or at a LBS, you can expect to get a whole lot of miles on this thing.

Even though I'm upgrading, I plan to hang onto this bike for bad weather, shorter rides, and to keep it set up on my trainer during winter months.

Overall this has been a great investment, and has gotten me totally hooked on the sport and on Cannondale.

Favorite Ride:   New England in October

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Felt entry level rides

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105/Ultegra Mix, Upgraded to Mavic Equipe wheels after busting my rear hub. Triple Chain ring.

Submitted by rushguy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    Climbs like a monster. Smooth. Great value for a made in the USA bike.

Weaknesses:    tires, seat, brakes.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike that is insanely stiff, yet still provides an acceptable amount of road shock dampening. Good component mix aside from the House branded Tektro brakes.

Purchased At:   Barr Bike and Fitnes

Similar Products Used:   NONE.

Bike Setup:   Charcoal grey frame 56cm. Kestrel carbon OS bar, FSA OS115 stem, Topolino C19 wheelset, Dura Ace brakes, Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle. Profile Carbon Crank(double), Crank Brothers Twin Ti Eggbeater pedals........Total weight is just under 19 pounds.

Submitted by blueridgeridin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2006

Strengths:    Great climber, nimble handling, light weight. Overall a great ride, especially for the money. You could spend more...but why?

Weaknesses:    Mix of Ultegra and 105 components, the seat...it really has to go.

Bottom Line:
Bought R700 Triple after trying out a bunch of other brands. Bike is stiff and very responsive. Also climbs VERY well (love that "Granny Gear"). Had to have the outer chainring replaced...after a few rides and some shifting problems up front, figured out the chainring was warped. The mix of components works although at some point, I will probably upgrade to all Ultegra. That was the one advantage the Trek 1500 had, but it was made in China and cost $100 more (so I'm cheap!). Patriot Blue paint is gorgeous [not made anymore :(]. Brakes work very well, trust me. I have to agree with other reviewers though, the seat is too soft and I think too wide for me.

Favorite Ride:   Blue Ridge Parkway

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized, Felt, Giant, Raleigh, etc., etc. all in the $1000 - $1500 price range.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R700 Triple, stock. Added 105 pedals. Will change saddle as soon as I find something I like.

Submitted by Sinclair a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2005

Strengths:    Extremely well made, Cannondale files their welds off, making them much more finished in appearance. It is very light, fast, highly manuverable, climbs extremly well, and does not transmit undue amounts of road vibration.

Weaknesses:    The brakes seem weak, but I have been riding mountain bikes for some time. I plan on replacing the pads with Kool Stop models. The brake caliper itself seems to work fine. The second time I rode it had a pinch flat about 10 miles out, but nothing since.

Bottom Line:
I rode 18 different model bikes before buying this one - painted in a charcoal grey with a triple crank. Have ridden it an average of 100-150 miles per week since buying it in September, and am very pleased with it. The seat seems fine to me, unilke the other reviewers. This bike is far above my old Bianchi road bike. The frame is exceptional, and is easily good enough to upgrade with other components if desired.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale R700

Purchased At:   Old Towne Bike Shop,

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2300, 2100, 1500, 1000. Both an Orbea and a Bianchi model that sold for about $1,500, Giant OCR Composite Limited, TCR Limited, OCR 1, 2, 3, Some sort of Specialized, and a couple of models by Felt.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Shimano SPD road pedals and a Cateye Astrale 8 computor.

2002 Cannondale R700 Si For Sale!!

Hey i got this bike however i found out its too big for me. its basically brand new a few small scratches on the bottom of the frame but overall it amazing condition. the frame is 60 cm. new - 1800 cnd selling for 650 cnd. good deal on this bike sad to see it go but then again if i can ... Read More »