Cannondale R900 Si 2002 Road Bike

MSRP : $1983.99

Submitted by Kevin Mulligan

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2012

Strengths:    I had written my first review in 2003 when I first purchased the bike. I still have it almost 10 years later, and it looks as good as it did then. I upgraded to Kryserium sl wheel set, new seat and maintained it with care. I have riden many miles on the bike including centuries, touring, and a little racing over the years. I have no desire to buy a new bike as this ride is second to none. I love it.

Weaknesses:    For an aluminum bike that is 10 years old, there really are not any bikes much better, and certaintly not worth the money. It still looks good and the blue paint always gets me compliments. It rides well and I see no weakness.

Bottom Line:
Great bike and ages like a fine wine.

Submitted by joereach a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is fantastic, stiff and responsive. Wheels are bomb proof. Ultegra shifters and rear mech feel slick.

Weaknesses:    The seat, the crank (Shimano 105) isn't as stiff as the bracket.

Bottom Line:
Bought it on Markplaats.nl (Dutch Ebay) as as my first proper race bike after completing some triathlons on a beater. Loved it straight away, stiff, stiff, stiff, handles great and I feel like a badass speed-machine on it.
I replaced the seat and the seat-post, the stock seat isn't very comfortable, especially for such a stiff frame. I also plan to upgrade the crank.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale R900si

Purchased At:   markplaats.nl

Bike Setup:   Ultegra and 105 mix. Connondale breaks. Mavic Wheels. Pro wind Jammer aero bars and an Adamo saddle.

Submitted by pininmefin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Strengths:    rigidity,conering and comfortable geomtry is outstanding.It realy leaps on a bunch sprint when you lay the "hammer down"!!

Weaknesses:    sadle sucks.changed out to my terry.

Bottom Line:
Awsome bike!!The handling is superb,coners like a champ and is very comfortable.I'll have this bike for years to come!!

Favorite Ride:   breakfast club ride

Purchased At:   cycling store on e-b

Similar Products Used:   khs flite300,tomasso scillian

Bike Setup:   ultegra through out with mavick wheels.(shweet!!)

Submitted by kmulligan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort for long rides
durability
components for the price are great
never had a problem with the seat even though many others have upgraded

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Bike 3 months ago, and am extremely happy with it. Very comfortable, particulary with the hour glass stays. Components, particularly the Mavic wheel set is great and very durable.

Favorite Ride:   25 mile course along South Shore of Boston

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   Mountain bikes; Trek F900; cannondale lefty f900sx

Bike Setup:   Mavic wheel set
Ultegra

Submitted by jaybarbus a Triathlete from Indiana

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great components for the price paid. Ride seems very comfortable compared to other bikes tested; rear seat stays (hourglass shape) really seem to absorb some of the road vibrations. Very durable and reliable

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, maybe, but durable. Don't even try using the stock saddle (no kidding); numbness from a test ride is definitely not a good sign!

Bottom Line:
I am a marathon runner who recently made the leap to Ironman triathlons. Purchased the 2002 model (new) in 2003 for significant savings. Oakley Cycles (in Cincinnati) did a superb job of fitting me on the bike; takes time, but worth it. Bike is very comfortable and durable. Wheelsets have been a pleasant surprise, taking the abuse of some not-so-smoothe country roads without a problem. Moderately light weight bike (FYI, you can get the actual weight for the European models on the Cannondale website, but not the US models; strange). Glad to see Cannondale has emerged from bankruptcy as it is nice to have the option to buy a hand-made frame at a reasonable price. Some complaints I have heard about Cannondale (and noticed in their 2003 lower end models) is that they mix in too many of their own components. I have heard that a lot of other bike frames from other companies on the lower end are ALL actually manufactured at the same Giant facility in Asia at the same plant; so, take your pick. I personnaly prefer the custom frame.

Purchased At:   Oakley Cycles, Cinci

Similar Products Used:   N/A. First road bike.

Bike Setup:   Changed saddle, added aero bars; everything else stock.