Giant TCR Aero 2002 Road Bike

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by conner a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    best bike

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
i had a giant aero i loved it so much that when i grew out of it i got another one if any oni is looking for a bike its the best you can get

Favorite Ride:   giant aero

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by JTE83 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Strengths:    Aero frame, carbon stem and aero seatpost. Seat feels comfortable with no pains after 23 miles of biking. Very good looks in black and with its stock sticker set. I get a lot of comments on what a nice bike this is. Some people get the impression that this is an expensive bike. I think the looks of the 2002 model are better than the 2003 & 2004 models.

Weaknesses:    R535 wheels became slightly untrue in 325 miles. Not untrue enough to rub the brake pads. Had 5 flats in same mileage on the stock Hutchinson tires.

Bottom Line:
All around a very nice bike. In only 5 months since I started biking (to lose weight and for the exercise and the sport of road biking) I hit a max speed of 27.1 mph (on the flats). I have a small bike frame, and the overall total weight of my bike is 19.7 lbs. The 105 components are adequate for the bike, though my R535 rear wheel became slightly untrue within 325 miles. My body weight went from 206 to 191.4 lbs riding this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Around the Chicago Lakefront

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   This is my only road bike. Have a Cannondale F600 mtn bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock 105 components with the stock giant carbon stem and aero seatpost. Shimano R535 wheels.

Submitted by Willick a Triathlete from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, very fast. I also love the smooth Shimano shifters and brakes...never had a problem with Shimano though. The bike is also very quiet. Great value for the price!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any real weaknesses other than the speed issue and I have logged close to 1200 miles on it so far.

Bottom Line:
Can't really complain about this bike at all. No problems so far but a little wobble with speeds in excess of 50mph (but how often do you get the chance or care to go faster than 50?). Very fast bike though and the aerodynamics are awesome in my opinion...you can overtake most road bikes on a downhill.
The only mods I have made have been getting a bigger cushy saddle because I can't stand those little racing ones which definitely aren't cool for long rides. Go out and get one of those nice big gel ergonomic saddles by Schwinn...the comfort is worth the extra weight!

Favorite Ride:   Mountain Mama Challenge - WVA

Purchased At:   All Star Bikes - Ral

Similar Products Used:   Tested similarly priced Bianchi and although I love my (still rigid) mtn bike by Bianchi, the Campagnolo shifters on the Bianchi turned me off to the bike which were not very ergonomic and didn't shif

Bike Setup:   All stock except for Schwinn ergonomic saddle.

Submitted by barryteshima a Triathlete from Ludington MI USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2003

Strengths:    weight, look, price, fit, speed.

Weaknesses:    none really. just the pedals aren't my favorite, and I need a new wheelset for training.

Bottom Line:
I bought this after shopping for a deal for quite some time. I got a significant component upgrade and a computer for not much more than the suggest retail price. Overall the bike has worked wonderfully for me. The frame is stiff. Rides very smoothly. Good control. I also took the decals off so the all black frame looks really intimidating. Very light, and very nice for hills.

Favorite Ride:   State Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Syntace Aero bars; Dura Ace crank, bar end shifters, and rear derailer; ultegra brake calipers, and front derailer, avocet computer, selle italia saddle, xero ultralite wheetset, shimano ultegra pedals.

Submitted by Jonathan Stagg a Triathlete from Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    great on smooth road, fast & light, goodvalue for money

Weaknesses:    One very big one - the wobbles on death on blue metal descents

Bottom Line:
On smooth roads, on flat roads, and uphill this bikes is great. it accelerates, climbs and corners. But try and go downhill on anything but motorway standard road and you had better hang on because the speed wobbles kick in early and hard. Had 3 mechanics look at it and say nothing wrong with the bike. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they said my riding style was a big part of the problem ( this may have been partly true ). But the wobble has not gone away and it makes descents in a race pretty nervy.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Keira