Jamis Quest 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by falseicon a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    Supple steel, outstanding construction, fairly light, overall feel is superb. Finally - sexy, classic look ... cause it ain't how fast you get there some days, it's how good you look whilst doing so.

Weaknesses:    Stock headset was poor, but not much else.

Bottom Line:
I can't really say enough about this frame (bought as frame and stock fork only), it's one of the most versatile bikes I've ever owned. I've climbed (and descended) passes, commuted to work, bought groceries, and trained on this bike with passion. And while I can't speak for the Quest as it's manufactured today (10 years later) I can assure you, if you're looking at one of these chrome beauties ... BUY IT.

Favorite Ride:   Ophir Pass

Purchased At:   Colorado Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Felt, but all the usual suspects.

Bike Setup:   Chrome quest, Ultegra/Dura mixed throughout, Ouzo Pro Fork, Chris King HS, Mavic Open Pros, Carbon Seat Post, Speedplay. As built, it's a (barely) sub 19 steed, with stiffness sacrificed for comfort ;)

Submitted by Brian a Recreational Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    Parts selection, color

Weaknesses:    Ritchey v3 pro pedals. These pedals came with the bike and are spd-r. Don't ride with this pedal! I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal. After destroying my cleat trying to get it out, I took the bike back to Performance and they gave me Look PP247 pedals. They said that the pedals were to be replaced if users had a problem with them. These pedals are down right dangerous. I think they should have been replaced proactively, instead of reactively. The Looks I got are sweet though. Perfect. I won't consider this Jamis` fault. I place the blame squarely on Ritchey.

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet! All name brand parts, unlike the big name bike manufacturers. I don't think there is another bike out there with these features at this price. I don't think there is one thing I would change, except the pedals which were warrantied (see below). This bike rides like a dream.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Stock except the new pedals and a wireless cyclocomputer.

Submitted by kweichsel a Recreational Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    VALUE, i'd give it 6 chilis if I could. Shimano 105 components, mavic wheels, smooth steel frame, carbon fork. comfortable geometry on long rides.

Weaknesses:    stock saddle, pedals, worthless generic owner's manual

Bottom Line:
I had to hold myself back from reviewing this as soon as I bought it in May, so hopefully these comments still apply to the 2003 model. The 2002 Quest is a dream to ride (after replacing the saddle): light, smooth, and quick. Admittedly, this is my first road bike so that is compared to my old Trek 700 hybrid, which I did 3 too many centuries on before getting this great bike.

Major selling points: steel frame and carbon fork eat up cracks and small bumps. The faster you go, the better this seems to work. I've gone right over several large potholes, and the wheels are still true. Full Shimano 105 components - something few other bikes in this price range offer. Mavic hubs seem to have no friction at all. "ergo bend" drop bars offer a comfy little bump for your palm to rest on. Rear eyelets for touring. Overall durability, I'm even impressed with the bar tape. Plus, killer looks. On this summer's MS150 tour, people kept commenting on what a beautiful bike it is. Pictures don't do it justice. plus, the mechanics couldn't believe it was a stock setup.

cons: can be hard to find. Stock saddle gave me pain in the first 10 minutes of the test ride, replaced it with a Serfas and everything is good now. Cheesy SPD pedals can be hard to get into after stopping. I've scratched them up so much the finish on the face is worn off already, but they're not the heart of a bike. I'm also a little concerned with the degree of "flex" in the seatstay and chainstays when inserting the rear wheel, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Great job, Jamis!

Favorite Ride:   any smooth road out of the city

Purchased At:   Bicycle Boulevard, C

Similar Products Used:   first road bike: also considered Trek 2000 and 2200.

Bike Setup:   stock with Serfas saddle, plus computer

Submitted by Dan S a Recreational Rider from Kirtland, OH

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent build quality, good component group, smooth "steel is real" ride. Chrome finish is somewhat unique.

Weaknesses:    While I like the chrome finish, it is not flawless (minor pits and other visual imperfections are visible if you look close enough).

Bottom Line:
In this price range, the Jamis is hard to beat. I looked at the Lemond line but didn't notice enough difference to account for the increased price. As someone else noted, the Jamis is VERY close to the Lemond in geometry. The Cannondale's I tried were nicely built (excellent actually) but even their well-tuned aluminum frame didn't seem to match the ride quality of the steel Jamis (at least in this price range). The Quest has a solid component group and is a "no frills" option that does what is supposed to do. After a summer of fun, I am still happy with my decision.

Favorite Ride:   Local roads

Purchased At:   B&K Bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cannondale, Lemond.

Bike Setup:   Basically stock -- Shimano 105 and Mavic Cosmos wheelset. My Quest is a 53 cm model and weighs about 21 pounds (with pedals) -- according to my scale.

Submitted by longlegs a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    Steel Frame and decent price, and nice components. A fancier bike would be nice but the Jamis can keep up with titanium, aluminum, and carbon no problem.

Weaknesses:    The chrome finish could be better.

Bottom Line:
I just love the Jamis Quest. Such a comfortable fide compared to the aluminum Trek I rode last year, though the Trek was sweet,just too harsh for this late 40"s guy. The steel frame,inexpensive carbon fork and nice Mavic wheels make for an excellent bike for the $. The relaxed seat angle and long wheel base is similar to a Lemond and makes for a comfortable ride.

Favorite Ride:   hills of western Massachusetts

Purchased At:   Southampton Cycle

Bike Setup:   Shimanno 105,stock except for frog pedals.