Moots Cycles Vamoots 2002 Road Bike

Submitted by Redpants a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff in the right places, the right amount of compliance in other places. Outstanding machine.

Weaknesses:    cost? you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
I have about 10,000 miles on this bike, bought new, so I figured it was time. It's broken in and I can comment fairly on the bike. I am a fast recreational rider, 50+, aspire to push the pace and finish at the top of the climbs of my B+ club rides by the end of the summer :)

This 2004 Vamoots is a unquestionably a great bike. I worked my way through g-school working in an LBS (and working for a rider who was on the '72 Olympic team) so I got a chance to ride some great bikes (C'dales, Paramounts, Pinarellos among others) and learned something about bikes - and I absolutely love the Vamoots. Never fails to put a smile on my face. I liken the ti to novacaine at the dentists office: costs more, hurts at first, but then you see things coming that should hurt and they don't. I spent the first 500 miles looking for holes and ruts to ride over - just amazed at how comfortable, solid and predictable the bike rides. On rides with friends I've seen other frames start to wobble and chatter on downhills. Never an issue with the Moots - fast, responsive and predictable. Fast uphill, fast down. Does what you tell it to do. Goes where you point it. I love long rides (100+ mi) and this bike has always been a joy to be on. I'm the kind of rider who just goes - if the perfect route on the map turns to dirt and sand in real life, I don't care I just keep going. Been hit by a car, jumped off the road a few times, a couple of falls - no matter.

p.s. - if you are reading this, you are thinking about spending a ridiculous amount of $ on a bike. Hey, if this amounts to a paycheck or mortgage payment :) be sure to get a great fit. If the best the shop owner can do is tell you to straddle the bike or do the forearm measure to the stem, "whaddya think??" go elsewhere with your piggy bank. You deserve a much better fitting than that. Do your homework and ask many many questions. Talk to friends who ride a lot. Scott at Evo Pro bikes gave me a great fitting that has made a huge difference in my riding.

Favorite Ride:   road, any

Purchased At:   Evolution Pro Bikes,

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Paramount, Trek (test ridden), others

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus, Proton wheels, Ouzo pro fork, Time pedals, Campy post and Moots stem. No upgrades required.

Submitted by Kevin Moon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff in the right places,compliant in others. Outstanding machine.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I have about 10,000 miles on this bike, so I figured it was broken in and I could comment fairly on the bike. I am a fast recreational rider, 50+, aspire to push the pace of my B+ club rides by the end of the summer :)

This is a great bike - this is a 2004 Vamoots. I worked my way through g-school working in a lbs, (and working for an rider who was in the '72 olympics) so I got a chance to ride some great bikes (C'dales, Paramounts, Pinarellos and other) and learned something about bikes - and I absolutely love the Vamoots. Never fails to put a smile on my face. I liken the ti to novacaine at the dentists office: hurts at first, costs more, but then you see things coming that should hurt and they don't. I spent the first 500 miles looking for holes and ruts to ride over - just amazed at how solid and predictable the bike rides. On rides with friends I've seen other frames start to wobble and chatter on downhills. Never an issue with the Moots - solid, fast, responsive and predictable. Fast uphill, fast down. Does what you tell it to do. I love long rides (100+ mi) and this bike has been very comfortable.

P.s. - if you are looking to put a paycheck or two in a bike, be sure to get a great fit. If the best the shop owner can do is tell you to straddle the bike or do the forearm measure to the stem, go elsewhere with your piggy bank. Scott at Evo Pro bikes gave me a great fitting that has made a huge difference in my riding.

Favorite Ride:   anything long

Purchased At:   Evolution Pro Bike,

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Prologue

Bike Setup:   Campy Chorus, Ouzo pro fork, time pedals, Campy post and Moots stem.

Submitted by Allan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Make no mistake about it, this frameset is BEAUTIFUL, whether just hanging on a wall or riding it, the quality oozes from this work of art. It does everything well and the performance is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    I should have bought it sooner

Bottom Line:
I bought this custom built Vamoots framset so i could combine the geometry and general dimensions of two frames i had previously owned.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Business Cycles

Similar Products Used:   no other Ti frames used previously

Bike Setup:   Now going through an upgrade rebuild with Record 10 speed,Thomson post and stem,Cinelli bars,Selle Italia saddle,Kestrel fork and Shimano pedals.

Submitted by Jomadaka a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    It's drop dead gorgeous. The pure joy of riding.

Weaknesses:    Other than the (gulp) expense, I have yet to think of one. Even in light of the expense, I think it is worth it. It is a racing geometry so don't expect a relaxed Grant Peterson type of build. But it is comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I have been a recreational club rider for almost 20 years and was looking for a light and fast, but comfortable bike for fast club rides and pure enjoyment. I climb a lot, and this bike doesn't flex on climbs or chatter on descents. Instead, it sings. Yes, the welds are perfect and that matters, but the geometry, material, and precision of the Moots build are what make this bike work.

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone Radac, Cannondale, Giant Cadex; started with a Schwinn Prelude (nice starter bike)

Bike Setup:   2003 Dura-Ace, Moots stem and seatpost, Deda 215 bars, SPD-SL pedals, Race Lite wheels with Conti 3000's. About 17 lbs. as built.

Submitted by Jeff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    Rideable art

Weaknesses:    zip

Bottom Line:
This bike is beautiful! I never get tired of looking at it... or riding it.

I love everything about this bike. It's light (about 16.9lbs as currently set up), quick, climbs, comfortable on any length of ride.

I don't have much to add to the other reviews. I agree with what the other reviewers have said (best welds, uniqueness, stiff chain stays and breezer dropouts help overcome ti's tendency to otherwise be a little flexy, terrific ride quality, etc., etc.)

Favorite Ride:   back country roads

Purchased At:   PRO-DEAL

Similar Products Used:   Calfee Tetra Pro, Giant TCRs, Fuji Professional, Merlin...

Bike Setup:   Custom 2002 56cm seat tube with a lengthened top tube (about 57.5). Head andseat tube angles adjusted 1/4 degree from stock to accomodate.

Started out w/ DA 9 spd group. Switched to Record 10 group except for FSA Superlight crank, FSA BB, King Headset, Easton EC90 all carbon post, Speedplay X1 pedals.

Also has Ksyrium SSC SLs, Easton EC90 bar, Ritchey WCS stem, Fizik Aliante saddle, Pro Race tires.

Show me your 54 stock Vamoots

I'd like to see what stock 54 Vamoots looks like. CRs/RSLs are welcome, too. I want to get an idea of what this looks like in my size.Read More »

Buy a Vamoots CR or keep my Lynskey Helix?????????

OK, I know this is the Moots board. I own a Psychlo-X that I love. I smile every time I ride it. I'm on the fence about selling my Lynskey Helix and getting a Vamoots CR. I cannot keep both bikes. I would have to sell the Helix to get the Vamoots. Please help.................Read More »

Moots Vamoots with S and S couplers

My friend Emerson, who runs Campione Cycles here in Calgary, has a new 62 cm Moots Vamoots with S and S couplers for sale. It was mistakenly ordered instead of the Vamoots CR (with couplers). I told him I'd put out this notice to the Moots community to see if there are any other big guys out ... Read More »

Updated Vamoots

Here is my Vamoots, updated in recent months with a Moots stem, seatpost, and King Ti cages beadblasted by Moots to match the frame. If you are going Moots, go all the way, right?! Note too the headtube extender - after getting fitted it was determined that I needed a bit more height. The spacers ... Read More »

New Moots fork for on old Vamoots

I have a 2001 59cm Vamoots that had a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with aluminum steerer on it. This fork was also on my previous bike, a Litespeed Vortex. I've had it for some time and had no real reason to get a new one other than I wanted to. Well that and I got my yearly bonus from work. ;-) I had ... Read More »