Specialized Allez A1 Sport 2002 Road Bike

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Felix Herrera a Recreational Rider from Avondale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    CARBON FORK, FRAME GEOMETRY, BUTTER-LIKE FEEL OF THE RIDE.

Weaknesses:    NO CLIPLESS PEDAL, TEH HFOLLOWING YEAR'S MODEL SEEMS TO IMPROVE ON AN ALREADY GREAT BIKE.

Bottom Line:
I USE THIS BIKE TO STAY IN SHAPE FOR MOUNTAIN BIKING AND FIND MYSELF WANTING TO RIDE IT MORE OFTEN THAN MY MOUNTAIN BIKE. IT'S A GREAT VALUE AND I WOULD DROP THE MONEY FOR IT AGAIN IN A HEART-BEAT. LOVE THE LOOK, FEEL AND RIDE.

Favorite Ride:   Roas by PIR

Purchased At:   WAYNE'S WHEELS

Similar Products Used:   FUJI ACE.

Bike Setup:   STOCK + CLIPLESS PEDALS, SPECIALIZED COMPUTER AND A KICK@#$ BOTTLE CAGE I GOT FROM SPECIALIZED.

Submitted by garrisonschulte a Road Racer from L-Town, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2003

Strengths:    The Flight Deck is Awesome, this bike is light and fast. Very good hill climber. Carbon Fiber Fork added bonus.

Weaknesses:    Coasting Speed is lower than some bikes.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike as a late model but has good components such as Tiagra and rear 105 deraileurs.

Favorite Ride:   Country roads

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Tourmalet, Lemond Alpe'De Huez. Giant OCR-3, Trek 1200,

Bike Setup:   Specialized Comp. Computer, SPD Pedals,

Submitted by normanlei2002 a Recreational Rider from Sanford, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Strengths:    stiff frame, good carbon fork, very good value. no need to upgrade any components.

Weaknesses:    I didn't win my age group. (it was me, not the bike). 2003 model has lower level of specs. shifting is good. it can be a little less "clunky".

Bottom Line:
great entry level race bike. I did my first Duathlon in April, 2003. will ride in many sprint triathlon this summer. it is a great starter bike. the upgraded wheels help a lot. great bike for training as well. I ride with riders who rides Lightspeed, Softtail, Trek and Cannondale. I am right there with them.

Favorite Ride:   Rolling hills of Clermont, FL

Purchased At:   Outspoken Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   Allez Sport is my first road bike and I plan to ride it for a while. my MTB is a Cannondale Scapel. which I ride more often than road bike. 3:1 ratio.

Bike Setup:   Stock: all Tiegra except 105 at rear derailleur, carbon fork.
added: Mavic SSC SL wheel set.

Submitted by Dave a Recreational Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Strengths:    Frame, 105 set

Weaknesses:    Integrated gear/brake levers feel a little flimsy - but had no actual problems with it. No clipless pedals

Bottom Line:
My first non MTB since I was a kid and it's great. Wanted a good frame that is upgradeable and this certainly is. Relatively light but not too much flex so I can still 'honk' up the hills. Excellent entry level road bike

Favorite Ride:   Quiet country roads with good tarmac!

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Stock: 105 set up, Ritchey stem and bars, Mavic wheels, Specialised saddle, SPD pedals

Submitted by cyclocommuter a Commuter from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    High quality Aluminum Frame. Kinesis Carbon fork. Good looks specially with the combination black rims, spoke and chain rings.

Weaknesses:    Does not come with clipless pedals but I got a pair for free from my LBS.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike on weekends and oftentimes for my daily commute (if the chances of precipitation is nil). This is a great bike... I have logged 2000+ kms on it (city streets and country roads) and I had no problems so far despite being in a serious crash once after I got cut off by a car (my helmet broke as my head hit the pavement hard).

This bike is great for climbing hills as I could stand on it at a higher gear without feeling any flex from the frame whatsoever. The Tiagra drivetrain (105 rear derailleur) also shifts smoothly.

This bike is definitely upgradebable... I plan to upgrade the wheelset next year even though the stock Aero Alexrims look good and perform flawlessly.