Bianchi Strada 2002 Touring Bike

Submitted by hongman2 a Recreational Rider from Cleveland, OH USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustable handlebar stem allows finding a comfortable riding position a cinch. Steel frame is stiff, responsive and smooth. Can 27 speeds be too much..??

Weaknesses:    I really haven't found any yet..!!

Actually, I would like 1-2 more hand position options, and am thinking of adding on some aero-bars... that'll really make this bike look strange..!!

Bottom Line:
When I went looking for my 1st bike in years, I tried a number of road & touring models with the classic "drop" handlebars, and found that my 45 year old back no longer liked it...!!

So I reluctantly changed my focus to bikes that offered a more uptright riding position. Damn that aging thing..!!

I didn't really like the typical "hybrids", too heavy, slow and unresponsive. The hybrid handlebars made it feel like I was steering a wheelbarrow!

Then I tried models by Trek and Cannondale (Bad Boy Ultra w/Carbon fork) that were more "Road" bike frame geometries, but with "flat" handlebar setup... very nice, but surprisingly each paled in direct comparison to the Bianchi Strada's responsive steel frame.. and cost almost 2x as much..!! I rode each of the competitors during bright sunny days, and was amazed to observe that the supposedly higher tech Trek & Cannondale bike's "shadows" where "flexing" when going over bumps, much more flex than the Strada exhibited..!!

Both the Trek and Cannondale are aluminum frames, and with both, I felt a high frequency "buzz" type vibration that is annoying, hand-numbing, and totally absent in the Bianchi.

Plus, the Strada's competition offered clunky thumb shifters compaired with the Strada's SRAM 9.0'S which are twist grips. The shifters and gearset work great, and I always have a proper gear ratio available.

I actually bought a leftover 2001 Strada, because it has Avid Shorty V-brakes (instead of the 2002's typical "roady" sidepull Shimano brakes), which offer excellent power and feel.. and will allow fitting of slightly wider tires/wheels if I ever decide to to that direction.

All in all, the Strada looks rather funky and strange.. but riding is believing. As soon as I rode this bike, I knew that despite its price, this bike blows away similiar bikes in terms of comfort, speed & responsiveness, and ease of use.

The Strada looks nowhere as "trick" as similiar bikes, nor does it look like it should perform as well as it does. All I can say is try it.. (make sure you try-out several handlebar stem positions)..

I think you'll fall in love with the Strada like I did...!!

Favorite Ride:   None yet

Purchased At:   Century Cycles Rocky

Similar Products Used:   1980's era Nishiki 12 speed
late 80's Raleigh Mountain Bike

Bike Setup:   So far, absolutely stock.. exept change in pedals!!

Submitted by Ommmmaggie a Recreational Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Strengths:    Stable, comfortable, makes riding more fun. Components are great. Love the gripshifters.

Weaknesses:    None yet (except the stock saddle, for touring).

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! My first bike was a Cannondale R400 road bike, double crank, racing cluster, all-aluminum and SO not a comfortable bike! This one is smooth and easy, the upright stance is nice to my back and the steel frame absorbs the road like crazy. I got a rather big bike -- 58 cm and I'm 5'10" --- and it's stable as can be. The gear range is really helpful as well, I motored up a mountain in Joshua Tree the day after I got it, which I couldn't have finished on the Canny. Buying this bike is allowing me to ride more often, farther, faster and more confidently. I am replacing the saddle already, near my 100-mile mark, but it's actually not a bad saddle for short rides (<20mi). I'm putting on a Terry Liberator X gel since I'm more into touring and hoping to ride my first century soon. I also put on 32c tires which are awesome, although I bet the 25c would be fine.

Purchased At:   Cycle World, Northri

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R400 road bike (1995).

Bike Setup:   Standard components. Swapped in 32c tires for more comfort and stability and am swapping in a Terry

Novara Divano or Novara Strada

Hey guys I am new to biking in general and I thought my First bike should be a road bike. I have looked around for some entry level road bikes like the Cannondale CAAD8, Trek 1.1, Giant Defy series etc. But I have only had the chance to test out the two Novara Bikes. The Novara Divano and the Novara ... Read More »

TDF Garmin or Strada Ride?

Any one know if they publish any of the riders Garmin/Strada stats? I think it would be cool to see.Read More »

ideas for attaching Cateye Strada computer pickups?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on attaching my Cateye cadence pickup? The LBS installed the computer when I purchased the bike and they chose to use small zip ties to attach the magnetic pickup to the crank, the problem is the zip tie doesn't hold the pickup firmly in place, allowing it to ... Read More »

CatEye Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD200 stopped working :(

Hi All, I had bought this bike computer: CatEye Strada Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD200 and suddenly now its not sensing anything. The computer is working but looks like the magnets have some problem. anybody else experienced this ? I havn't even completed a year on this one so I am plann ... Read More »

Cateye Strada wireless computer recs..?

the trusty ol' Cateye Vectra that I've had since the early 90s died tonite...hard to say how many miles that thing has logged... so, given it history of reliability, I kinda want to stay with Cateye. looking at the Strada wireless... anyone have comments...like it, hate it?Read More »