Bruce Gordon Cycles BLT 2002 Touring Bike

Submitted by 125lb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    Durable paint, clean welds, great reputation, the best touring frame available, will last forever. I strongly recommend buying a frame, then specing it by yourself because it's like pulling teeth with Bruce to spec it the way you want and usually, he will only put what he wants to put on it.He doesnt budge on anything.

Weaknesses:    Heavy guage tubing is great for touring, but unloaded, it does not make a good road bike. Not a springy frame, so climbing isn't great. Hey, it's a touring bike. when i had s and s couplings installed, bruce did not support the idea at all. He questioned why I would want to make the frame heavier and did not respect my idea at all. I gave up on him, sent it to Bilenky and they hooked it all up, no problems.

When I bought the bike, I told Bruce I did not want the handlebars, seat, and wheels, because I already had these things and had built a pair of King/Velocity wheels for the bike.
He was hesistant to sell me the bike without all of the parts. I told him I want to give him as much money as possible because I want to support him and his shop. I've wanted one of his bikes since the mid-80's and was glad to have his bike. I told him to keep the extra parts and deduct whatever he wanted from the final price. He did.
But damn, shouldn't buying a $1500 bike be easier for the customer? My transaction was quick and easy, but man, I wish he could have been more flexible as I was setting up my dream bike.
I also use 165 cranks, but he didnt have any and sold me 170's.

Bottom Line:
Very very stable, I've put 700x45 knobbies and ridden it on singletrack with 42cm drops and also mtb bars. I have cable splitters, so switching to different handlebar set-up is easy. Not as good as a real mtb, but decent.
Unloaded, it is very stable, slow climbing, stiff unflexing frame I weigh 140lbs, so climbing is not so good, long wheelbase too.
When you load it up, front (low) and rear, it feels exaclty the same, except heavier. The heavier you load it, the more stable it gets at high speeds. Every year I take it out for 6 weeks touring, mostly road, sometimes dirt road.
The s and s couplings allow airline travel without the extra fee. We bought a cordura bag for the folded bikes, then put the bikes together, roll up the bag, and ride away from the airport.
I plan on keeping this bike forever.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere in hawaii, china camp-SF, ridgecrest

Purchased At:   Petaluma, Bruce's sh

Similar Products Used:   Trek, miyata, merlin magia, ciocc, miele, more....

Bike Setup:   BG frame and fork, 38cm nitto bar and nitto stem, sugino at crank, 110bcd, king/velocity wheels, 32 tires, 45 knowbbies, 28 for road riding, BG front and rear racks, 9 speed bar end shifters, LX rear der, 12-32 cassette, 747 pedals, terry fly ti saddle, lx cartridge headset, vaude pannier front and rear, and handlebar bag (waterproof-like ortlieb)

Submitted by Ken Cummings a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    nearly bomb-proof and I break rear axles and strip teeth off of sprockets.

Weaknesses:    Has to be pedaled

Bottom Line:
4000+ road miles and 30 plus rocky single track and only the handlebar tape has come loose. My fault, bungeed the bars to a truck pipe rack for several trips, broke tape glue. Shifting a bit wocky at first, bike had been Gordons' shop demo mountainbike. Local shop adjusted it. After 3000 miles shifting drifting again, I suppose I'd better learn how to adjust it. Just tried it in Annadale Park on miles of rocky singletrack. Worked fine but could use fatter tires than 700x38. Blew the minds of most of the full-on mountain bikes going the other way. No one caught up with me going down hill.

Favorite Ride:   Bruce Gordon BLT 700x38

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   Bruces' shop, Petalu

Similar Products Used:   Miyata 1000 which I was passionate about until a volkswagen cut in front of me and the frame bent when I flipped over the car.

Bike Setup:   puleeze, go to Bruces' site for that

Submitted by FishMan473 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2004

Strengths:    Low price for hand made quality. Cheepest real touring bike available at the time (now the Surly Long Haul Trucker looks nice....) Geared for actual touring, not geared like a road bike with an extra chain ring. None of this light touring crap, that's what road bikes are for.

Weaknesses:    Some of the compoenents it comes with are crap. Saddle, was super soft and sucky. Bars were not ergo, an issue for long days on the bike. Handlebar tape was slippery, but maybe it was more waterproof the cork? Wheels were not built well, had to retension them, still several spokes failed. But if I had the option of building the bike up myself these are the only things I'd change, which is pretty good considering how picky I am.

Bruce talked me into getting a bike that was a size smaller then I thought I wanted, as it turned out I was right, and I had to buy a heavy and expensive Titus Hellbent seatpost to rectify the situation.

No choice in colors, not a big fan of maroon.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I love it. If you want to do some REAL touring pick yourself up one.

Well set up. Plent of rooms for whatever tires you want and fenders. Cantilever brakes work well for touring. Threaded headset allows you to, you know, adjust your handlebar height without having to saw anything. LX is the perfect gear for a touring bike epsecially when coupled with the durable bar-con shifters, this stuff will last forever. I did manage to destroy the headset, but I have a tendancy to do that.

Very strong. Crashed hard enough to break my collar bone on it, bike was fine. Carried 40+ pounds of gear across a continent with narry a wimper.

Very versitle. Rode it fully loaded cross country and around Great Britian. Have done a couple group road rides with it. Handles well off road too, and has enough room for fairly large knobbies. Now use it mostly for a dirt road ride bike, sometimes as a fast commuter. Will be touring on it again in the not too distant future.

Favorite Ride:   coast to coast was pretty nice

Purchased At:   from Bruce Gordon

Similar Products Used:   just my Miyata Road bike, wife has had Fuji Touring and now rides Koga-Miyata touring bike.

Bike Setup:   Original equip with Time Z pedals, WTB SST Saddle, Titus Helbent Seatpost, some new bars with an ergo bend, Chris King headset, King cages, Conti Top Touring or knobby tires (currently WTB Mutano Raptors. SKS fenders some of the time. Also, got the Bruce Gordon front and rear racks, VERY nice, I think they're worth the money.

Bruce Gordon BLT

I've been pondering getting a dedicated touring bike. I presently have a Surly Cross Check and could replace the front fork with their new one with the mounting holes. Bruce is offering his imported bike as a kit with racks, and a build kit for a pretty good price, around $1,500. Any feedback on ... Read More »

Surly LHT v.s. Bruce Gordon BLT

Hi, Looking to purchase my first touring bike. I come from a mountain bike background. Planning to use it for commuting and loaded touring. I'm narrowing choice down to a Surly LHT & Bruce Gordon BLT. Any opinions out there?Read More »