Cannondale T2000 2002 Touring Bike

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Will Wood a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
A fantastic bike. No complaints, except,I am 6'1" and the Cannondale large frame is a bit to short from seat post to handlebar post. It's odd, this bike should fit me, but it is to small..If your 5'9" to 5'11", the large frame should be perfect for you...

Similar Products Used:   I owned a Schwinn Voyaguer 1989. Awsome bike, but heavy.

Submitted by mulvamj a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Solid bike. Puts up with abuse, except the stock rims. Rides stiff (which I like). Can be ridden off-road if the trail isn't too rough.

Weaknesses:    Stock rims suck, but the hubs are great. Rims will be the first thing you need, at least when they made the bike in 1998. Sunshine rims, i think they were, and would never stay true.

Bottom Line:
This bike is bomb-proof, and I put my bikes to the test. I bought this bike in 1998, and it's still my primary bike. It's light enough to keep up with the paceline if i strip it down. I've been hit twice, and the frame is still solid. Stiff ride, no flex. I like the Coda pedals: you can clip in from either side. This is a touring bike, so it is built to last. I have over 10,000 miles on this thing, and have had no serious maintenance issues, except when cars hit me.

Favorite Ride:   The one with no stop lights

Purchased At:   Cycle Fitness in Mon

Bike Setup:   Bar-end shifters, Mavic CXP-33 wheels, Koobi saddle, 23 mm kevlar tires.

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is bullet-proof and appears to be able to handle anything you throw at it. As set up, you could actually go off-road with it, without too many problems (except for the reliability issues).

Weaknesses:    I have had to replace: shifters--the STI's broke within a year (got good old reliable bar ends), rear brakes (which essentially disintigrated), pedals (Coda--horrible!), tires (the 37mm are way too heavy and fat for regular commuting/tourer use), and seat (Lepper seat not comfortable like a Brooks). The bike goes out of tune frequently and requires so much maintenance that I may sell it. Plus it is quite simply a big heavy tank-weighing at 30 lbs without any gear.

Bottom Line:
Cannondale blew it on the T2000, which at one time may have been a great tourer and all-around commuter/road bike, but no more. This bike will need major upgrades to make it comfortable and reliable.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I rode a 1979 Centurion Pro Tour with a beautiful chromed, lugged steel frame for over 25 years (until I crashed it) with no problems. I toured all over the San Juan Island and the Pacific Northwest on this excellent bike. May she rest in peace.

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I rode a 1979 Centurion Pro Tour with a beautiful chromed, lugged steet frame for over 25 years (until I crashed it) with no problems. I toured all over the San Juan Island and the Pacific Northwest on this excellent bike. May she rest in peace.

Purchased At:   private party

trek T2000

Are theer any tandem riders out there? I'm trying to find info. on the trek t2000 tandem. . Does anyone know anything about the ZR 9000 frame? I'm trying to choose between Burley Tirazza and Santana Sovereign, and the trek. They are similarily equiped, I'd like to get a weight on the T2000. ... Read More »

Cannondale T2000 tourer >> CX bike??

Long story short: I wound up with two high-end road bikes because of a car vs. bike wreck. Both of the road bikes are ok, so I'm thinking of turning one of them into a high-speed, high-end tourer for credit card touring. I bought some Specialized Armadillos, and will be ordering a Tubus rack + sea ... Read More »