Fuji Bicycles Touring 2002 Touring Bike

Submitted by metropolis1928 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    FRAME! $100 cheaper than the 2001 model. Good tires.

Weaknesses:    CRANKS! VERY poor brakes. There is a reason this bike is $100 cheaper than last year... it has $250 less good parts on it!

Bottom Line:
The Fuji Touring has a great ride, and it's a lot of bike for the price. Having said that, it is also a bike that I have upgraded because a lot of the components on it are garbage.

First to go were the awful cranks. Sheer rubbish. On the Fuji website, they say that they have "upgraded the drive train"... how? By replacing solid Tiagra cranks with Totally Junky Cyclone cranks. These things are flexy, ugly and heavy. Also, the gearing is WAY too high for a loaded touring bike. I put on LX Hollowtech cranks with more appropriate gearing. There is no comparison between the crappy stock cranks and the LX's with their splined bottom bracket.

I wish they had put a third set of water bottle lugs on the bick on the underside of front drop tube, and lugs for a frame pump.
Also hitting the spare part bin was the Deore rear der., replaced by a solid XT one. The Deore was OK but the XT is SO much better.

So far, I have kept the saddle, but sooner or later I am going to put a Brooks on it.

This bike's breaks SUCK! The Avids of the 2001 model were MUCH better.

The rack sucks as well, I am replacing it with a Bruce Gordon rack.

Ok, now for the good stuff... The ride is excellent, the frame is solid and stiff for such a big bike. Chainstay lenghth is good (heels don't hit the panniers) and the front fork has a smooth feel to it.

The rims are also not as good as last year, I had to have one warranty replaced right away because the seams were too rough. One Sora hub in the back and a Fuji house brand hub in the front. Again, not real good.

Tiagra STI shifters are OK (touring with STI... hmmmm....).

The bike is a very comfortable ride, and after the crank change out it climbs well for a bike this heavy.

Bottom line: The frame is good enough to build off of, making it a good value... you need to upgrade the bike, but it is worth upgrading. I would have MUCH rather payed $200 more and had good cranks, touring gearing and a better (at least LX rear der.)

Purchased At:   Scenic Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except: Clipless pedals, LX Cranks & splined BB, XT rear der., elite bottle cages.

Submitted by DuneOH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Same reviewer here. I want to tell you the brake system on this bike is unsafe. The rest of the bike is great, but Fuji has a liability problem on it's hands with this braking system.

Submitted by DuneOH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    PRICE !!! For what u get, it's a good deal. This is my 1st touring model and I compaired Cannondale, Trek, Bianchi.

Weaknesses:    Brake pads and saddle. Both are cheep so be prepaired to swap them out.

Bottom Line:
$699. That's the retail, not the 849. Good deal. I've had the bike about 2 months during COLD ! weather so I've only put on a couple hundred miles, but I like it. Rides good, you feel good when u get off it.

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Champione. The Fuji isnt a racing bike but it supports wgt. well.

Bike Setup:   Changed saddle, brake pads, SPD's.

touring/gravel grinder wheels?

Just curious --- Do you use the same wheeelset for on-road touring as you do for off-road touring? Maybe a smaller rim with a 28mm tire for road touring and then a wider rim/tire combo for off-road type trips? JoeRead More »

Surly LHT vs Trek 520 vs Fuji Touring vs Nashbar Steel Touring Bike?

What are your opinions of the [URL="http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker"]Surly LHT[/URL], [URL="http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/touring/520/520/"]Trek 520[/URL], [URL="http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/touring"]Fuji Touring bike[/URL] and the [URL="http://www.nashbar.com/bike ... Read More »

Up graded Trek 1983 720 touring bike.

I have noticed some questions about upgrading the Trek 720 touring bike. This is some of my experience with my bike. I purchased a Trek 720 frame in 1984. Using the components from a Schwinn 10 speed, I now had a complete bike. Over the years I upgraded the brakes from caliper to cantilever (add ... Read More »

Vintage Sport Touring Bikes?

I am itching to pick up one or two vintage sport touring steel bikes (70s to 90s). Will use them more for the sport aspect rather than touring. I realize none will be lightweight but being on the lighter side would be appreciated. Also inexpensive used prices would also be appreciated. I am not fami ... Read More »

Touring clothes

I'm going to be doing a 10 day bike tour in France with my CX bike. we'll do about 45-55 miles a day. What clothes do you recommend? I have the standard roadie kits. Wondering if I should be using casual cycling clothes made by the likes of SWRVE, and Club Ride. Also, how many sets of clothes ... Read More »