Fuji Bicycles Touring 2002 Touring Bike

Submitted by metropolis1928 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Strengths:    FRAME! $100 cheaper than the 2001 model. Good tires.

Weaknesses:    CRANKS! VERY poor brakes. There is a reason this bike is $100 cheaper than last year... it has $250 less good parts on it!

Bottom Line:
The Fuji Touring has a great ride, and it's a lot of bike for the price. Having said that, it is also a bike that I have upgraded because a lot of the components on it are garbage.

First to go were the awful cranks. Sheer rubbish. On the Fuji website, they say that they have "upgraded the drive train"... how? By replacing solid Tiagra cranks with Totally Junky Cyclone cranks. These things are flexy, ugly and heavy. Also, the gearing is WAY too high for a loaded touring bike. I put on LX Hollowtech cranks with more appropriate gearing. There is no comparison between the crappy stock cranks and the LX's with their splined bottom bracket.

I wish they had put a third set of water bottle lugs on the bick on the underside of front drop tube, and lugs for a frame pump.
Also hitting the spare part bin was the Deore rear der., replaced by a solid XT one. The Deore was OK but the XT is SO much better.

So far, I have kept the saddle, but sooner or later I am going to put a Brooks on it.

This bike's breaks SUCK! The Avids of the 2001 model were MUCH better.

The rack sucks as well, I am replacing it with a Bruce Gordon rack.

Ok, now for the good stuff... The ride is excellent, the frame is solid and stiff for such a big bike. Chainstay lenghth is good (heels don't hit the panniers) and the front fork has a smooth feel to it.

The rims are also not as good as last year, I had to have one warranty replaced right away because the seams were too rough. One Sora hub in the back and a Fuji house brand hub in the front. Again, not real good.

Tiagra STI shifters are OK (touring with STI... hmmmm....).

The bike is a very comfortable ride, and after the crank change out it climbs well for a bike this heavy.

Bottom line: The frame is good enough to build off of, making it a good value... you need to upgrade the bike, but it is worth upgrading. I would have MUCH rather payed $200 more and had good cranks, touring gearing and a better (at least LX rear der.)

Purchased At:   Scenic Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except: Clipless pedals, LX Cranks & splined BB, XT rear der., elite bottle cages.

Submitted by DuneOH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Same reviewer here. I want to tell you the brake system on this bike is unsafe. The rest of the bike is great, but Fuji has a liability problem on it's hands with this braking system.

Submitted by DuneOH a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    PRICE !!! For what u get, it's a good deal. This is my 1st touring model and I compaired Cannondale, Trek, Bianchi.

Weaknesses:    Brake pads and saddle. Both are cheep so be prepaired to swap them out.

Bottom Line:
$699. That's the retail, not the 849. Good deal. I've had the bike about 2 months during COLD ! weather so I've only put on a couple hundred miles, but I like it. Rides good, you feel good when u get off it.

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Champione. The Fuji isnt a racing bike but it supports wgt. well.

Bike Setup:   Changed saddle, brake pads, SPD's.

How to Book a Limo Online for Touring San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco has plenty of things to offer to its tourists which need to be explored at one’s own pace. Moreover the top tourist spots are scattered all around the city and traveling from one venue to another take a lot of time. This is why the luxurious and stylish limo is the favorite choice ... Read More »

Poll: How Practical are CX bicycles for light touring?

By light touring, I mean load not exceeding 20lbs. Road will be sealed, but may include small percentage of flood or heavy traffic damages. The CX bicycle would be traditional type that have provision to attach at least rear rack. Typical CX bikes would include 1. bianchi volpe 2. Masi CX Comp 3. F ... Read More »

Any body using Lynskey Sportive for light touring

I currently use Bianchi Volpe, 28c tyres, for light touring, with Lone Peak panniers front and rear. I'd like to go faster, with lighter loaded bike, and am looking hard at Lynskey Sportive. I'll be carrying rear panniers only, with baggage load <15KG. and on paved road only. Any recommendation? ... Read More »

Track cycling without T-B-T on the Edge Touring

The calculation of T-B-T navigation hints is the default behavior on the Edge Touring, also when you load a breadcrump track. You cannot switch it off just like on the Edge 800. However there is a quite simple workaround. The way to a follow a track with course points on the Edge Touring ( and I as ... Read More »

$50, Aluminum 700c clincher rim recomendations... Commuting, Touring.

Ok, I'm going to probably build a set of wheels in the next few weeks. I suppose one option is to go with the basement grab-bag special (which won't match). I did see a classic Rigida down there. That would more or less match what I'm already riding, so I could get away with only building one wh ... Read More »