Cannondale Multisport 2000 Si (650c) 2002 Triathlon Bike

Submitted by Ali Thompson a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Ultegra components, sweet paint job, very comfy and stable aero bars, integrated headset, rock solid wheels.

Weaknesses:    Saddle--ditch it if you're a woman (actually I can't imagine that men would like it either, but am not qualified to make that call) and shifter kit. The shifter kit looked so cool I had a tough time letting it go, but it was really hard to use--especially when you were not in the aero bars. Bar end shifters are a quick and easy fix.

Bottom Line:
I'd been racing in triathlons for years on a modified road bike that I LOVED, so I really didn't need to get a tri-specific bike. The fact is however that the Cannondale 2000 called to me. It beckoned me with its dazzling paint job, it's balanced geometry, its shiny Ultegra components, and its totally reasonable price. So one day I cracked. I bought the thing, brought it home, and modified it to fit my needs (that meant ditching the very female-anatomy-unfriendly seat and replacing the tough-to-use shifter kit with bar-end shifters). After one season of racing on it, the verdict is in: it's everything you could ever want in a tri bike. Responsive, comfortable, light, and eager to overtake unwitting fellow competitors. If you want an excuse to yell "On your left!" at least a couple dozen times a race, this is the bike for you.

Favorite Ride:   Anything that goes to Skyline

Purchased At:   Nytro in San Diego

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Left the stock Cannondale setup in place except for adding Speedplay pedals, Dura Ace bar-end shifters, and a Performance Women's Countour Saddle (the kind with a hole in the middle--well worth it for those who plan to spend hours leaning on the front part of the seat).